X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever train at Ft. Dix?

At the end of the month I am headed to Ft. Dix for CAX (Combined Arms Exercise). Should be F-U-N.

Anyone from New Jersey, or been to Dix? What's it like?

Welcome letter says we will be eating in the dining facility and staying in military quarters...Any intel on the living conditions?

Sir

Been to Dix for a 2 week NBC course. Not much going on there, kind of out in the middle of nowheresville. Pretty small town outside the gates with a few very "dive" bars. If you go over to the AF Base the gym is really nice.

PX complex has a food court (of course), otherwise your options are limited to the dining facility, which is alright I guess. If you don't have wheels, there is a post shuttle which circulates quite frequently which works well. On the Army side there is a little club which has pretty decent bar food, and internet room with lots of computers and quite a few TVs.

You gotta drive a decent ways east to the Jersey shore before hitting decent civilization/things to do. On my weekend there I took a train up the NYC and hung out.

Comment

I went to mob there a few years ago.F-U-N is right.

If you go to a chow hall go to the chow hall that is by Ft Dix MEPS and Clothing and Sales which has ok food .

I think you are going to be located next to the hobby shop and the bowling alley.The two chow halls (maybe three) that will be in front of the barricks STAY AWAY FROM. If you go there chow is given to by an inmate.

Buses you catch every hour on the hour. Weekends every 1/2hr.
      There is a bowling alley, putt-putt golf,pool, and the gym are at the same bus stop.Very close in walking maybe 2min.

Clothing and Sales will be next to the Chow Hall that I told you to go to.
      dunkin donuts burger king and the AAFES gas station is at this bus stop. On the Air Force side the PX (not too bad) food court, and the commissary is over there.

Pretty Much that is Ft Dix.

In the field. Not too bad. You are living in a tent city. If you smoke or Dip, bring enough from the rear. Thier is only one trailer out to service about 2500 soldiers.

The last time I was thier out of the tents was full battle rattle even to p!ss.
      The training out there was fun.
      Last edited by Recruiter yosis; January 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Its not really to bad there, i've been there twice for mobilizations and twice for MOSQ. Nothing to write home about, but better then a lot of places the army has put me up in.

Comment

True it was alot better than N. Little Rock

Comment

Hopefully Dix has set up the wireless in the barracks. Didn't have it established in mroe than 1 or 2 buildings when I was there for MOB.

At least Robinson has the Flying Saucer down in town. All Dix has is that crappy on post club.

Comment

Never been on dix but been to Fort Dix back in 85 and 98 for Combat Engineer Training and PLDC and different times to qualify with the weapons. When they closed it and made it a reserve base, it lost all its luster but its home to a MEPS as well. Its better to go across the street to MacGuire and have fun on the Air Force base.

You can go to Camden, Philly or the 90 min drive to NYC for a fun night life.

Comment

[QUOTE=Recruiter yosis]True it was alot better than N. Little Rock[/QUOTE]

Well...i dont know about that, you cant beat the hotel rooms we get at PEC

Comment

Has anyone here ever actually stayed in the billeting at PEC? It seems that there is always a MAJ's convention when I go there so I'm always stuck off post in a hotel with no rental car.

Comment

Sir,
                    I live an hour from Dix. Just head up 537 NORTH after getting out from Maguire AFB (They are joint AF/ARMY), then you get into Freehold/Jackson/Howell - some of the largest areas in the state of NJ with a lot of stuff to do.

If you don't know the area - you are about 30 minutes away from anything and might feel you are in nowhere. You are actually no more than about an hour away from some of the good places in NJ.

Feel free to PM if you want to know more, Sir.

Comment

[QUOTE=RSP NCO]Well...i dont know about that, you cant beat the hotel rooms we get at PEC[/QUOTE]

didn't get the hotel room.I was across the street in the one lvl.
                      Were you there when the chow hall had nothing but Tex-mex.The 6 weeks I was there I loss some where 25 to 30 lbs.

Comment

You know, i didnt even eat in the chow hall one time the 5 weeks i was there. If i had to pay for meals i'd rather keep food in my room or else go out to eat.

Comment

I trained at Ft Dix for most of my drills for 5 years and did a MOB and AT there.

-Wireless was in some barracks last I was there. Even a few ethernet ports in the TV room. I am betting there's more.

-Cellphone signal stinks unless you are next to a window or go outside. Expect planes from Mcguire AFB to fly overhead every 5 minutes.

-Buildings are 3 stories...with officers staying mostly on the 1st. Most forms of enlisted personnel stay on 2nd and 3rd.

-Each floor as regular open bay rooms with 6 sets of bunk beds and lockers. Then there are smaller rooms that most of NCOs stay in.

-Latrines are pretty standard. Showers have 3 walled off sections arranged 1 after the other.

-Vending machines, pay phones, laundry on 1st floor.

-Laundry room is small and only like 2 washers and 2 dryers.

-Dining facilities are good. Sometimes its a 2min walk, sometimes its a 5min walk. Seating is like that of a mcdonalds, with booths and 4 table seats. Food is good, staff is friendly.

-Ft Dix has a FULL GROCERY PX. Right next to a regular size PX. This is not within walking distance of any barracks.

-There is a shuttle system you can hop on. Going to the PX requires an ID check at a checkpoint manned by a flyboy.

-Food. There's a Burger King within the base. You can also order from various pizza and chinese food places that WILL delivery to the barracks. They're not suppose to deliver to the individual rooms, but some do anyway. (You'll see many people ordering) The BK is the only thing within the base that I remember.

-There's a Six Flags outside the base. And I think there's a paintball field in the area as well.

Comment

How about them Panio bars.... I thought I haven't lived until I heard an old man singing gansters paradise lol.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]I trained at Ft Dix for most of my drills for 5 years and did a MOB and AT there.

-Wireless was in some barracks last I was there. Even a few ethernet ports in the TV room. I am betting there's more.

-Cellphone signal stinks unless you are next to a window or go outside. Expect planes from Mcguire AFB to fly overhead every 5 minutes.

-Buildings are 3 stories...with officers staying mostly on the 1st. Most forms of enlisted personnel stay on 2nd and 3rd.

-Each floor as regular open bay rooms with 6 sets of bunk beds and lockers. Then there are smaller rooms that most of NCOs stay in.

-Latrines are pretty standard. Showers have 3 walled off sections arranged 1 after the other.

-Vending machines, pay phones, laundry on 1st floor.

-Laundry room is small and only like 2 washers and 2 dryers.

-Dining facilities are good. Sometimes its a 2min walk, sometimes its a 5min walk. Seating is like that of a mcdonalds, with booths and 4 table seats. Food is good, staff is friendly.

-Ft Dix has a FULL GROCERY PX. Right next to a regular size PX. This is not within walking distance of any barracks.

-There is a shuttle system you can hop on. Going to the PX requires an ID check at a checkpoint manned by a flyboy.

-Food. There's a Burger King within the base. You can also order from various pizza and chinese food places that WILL delivery to the barracks. They're not suppose to deliver to the individual rooms, but some do anyway. (You'll see many people ordering) The BK is the only thing within the base that I remember.

-There's a Six Flags outside the base. And I think there's a paintball field in the area as well.[/QUOTE]

I would say that would cover it. Except the Chow Hall thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X