X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Housing Allowance

Does anyone know if you receive BAH while you are at Basic and AIT if you have dependents?

Yes you do and if you have kids you'll need every penny! Here's a calculator.

[url]http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html[/url]

Comment

Thank you! That was very helpful. Believe it or not we have 4 kids! And with Dad and Grandma in charge of the kids and the money while I am gone, I will surely need every penny I can get!

Comment

question is how is BAH handled?
        [QUOTE]The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status.[/QUOTE]

Now I live in philadelphia, my basic is FLW, MO. will my bah go by zip code of my house or my duty location? which i know it says.

Oh how is pay handled is it once a month or twice a month?

Comment

another question?

the pay for E-1 is 1,340.40 is that minus taxes or is that with taxes already taken out?

Comment

[QUOTE=DEMO]question is how is BAH handled?

Now I live in philadelphia, my basic is FLW, MO. will my bah go by zip code of my house or my duty location? which i know it says.

Oh how is pay handled is it once a month or twice a month?[/QUOTE]

BAH is based on your home of record.

You can choose to be paid once or twice a month.

Comment

[QUOTE=DEMO]another question?

the pay for E-1 is 1,340.40 is that minus taxes or is that with taxes already taken out?[/QUOTE]

The pay charts show your gross pay, so before taxes would be taken out...

Comment

And an FYI, BAH is not taxed.

Comment

[quote=SteveLord]And an FYI, BAH is not taxed.[/quote]

because its an allowance lol. but on your SSN annual report, it will show that you earned less than you actually did.

Comment

which is awesome for tax purposes.....

Comment

Great thanks for the info. My wife will be happy to hear I am checking more into it.

Comment

Basic rule

Pay is taxed
                        base pay
                        combat pay
                        special duty pay
                        jump pay
                        dive pay
                        etc

Allowances are tax free
                        BAH
                        BAS
                        family seperation allowance
                        etc

Comment

All normal pay received while at home, drill weekends, IADT, AT weeks, etc. is taxed. Allowances are not.

If you are deployed to a non-combat zone, all of your pay (not including your allowances) are still taxed.

If you are deployed to a designated combat zone (so determined by executive order of the President-you can find the list on the IRS website), ALL PAY EARNED during the *months* you are deployed are not taxed. A month, by IRS guidelines, consists of one or more days while in a combat zone, whether you are in a combat role or not.

For example, if you serve in Iraq (a designated combat zone) from January 1 until April 1, you can exclude military income from taxation for January, February, March, and April (even though you were only there for one day in April you can exclude the entire month).

If your employer provides any continuation of pay or pay differential, this income is still taxed.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]And an FYI, BAH is not taxed.[/QUOTE]

my understanding is that the BAH is IN ADDITION to your base pay.

Comment

[QUOTE=ANGWifeApril]my understanding is that the BAH is IN ADDITION to your base pay.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. BAH is not taxed. As SPC Ski mentioned above, your allowances are not taxed, but you "pay" (categories specifically named with pay) are taxed.

Comment

Working...
                              X