X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-Time/Part-Time jobs

Can anyone give me a list of possible Full-time or Part-time jobs in the Guard? I got an 81% on my ASVAB if that helps any. I would greatly appreciate this.

Tru

[QUOTE=TruSoldier]Can anyone give me a list of possible Full-time or Part-time jobs in the Guard? I got an 81% on my ASVAB if that helps any. I would greatly appreciate this.
    Tru[/QUOTE]

The only way to get a list of jobs is to contact someone from your state. You should contact a recruiter in KY, and ask for a list. If you don't know how to contact the recruiter in your area, call 1-800-GO-GUARD.

Comment

Part Time or Full Time

My plan! Is to join the National Guards Reserve while I am in High School. I sign my life away on the 15th of May 2006. Try to make it threw high school im barely making it thoe, I might drop out and get my GED thoe. But if I make it threw highschool or what ever im going to go full time after I get out of High School. Anyways if I stay activit in till im 40 or 50 can I retire? What do I get when I retire?

Chris Phillips

Comment

Dude, get your prioritys straight, your talking about joining the army, but you might drop out and get a G.E.D thats stupid. I dont sugar coat stuff i give it strainght, if you are wanting answers and people to take you serious, get serious.Its great you want to serve your country but your attitude , example your asking what do i get money money money, you see dollar signs, freebies.
        But what do i know this opinion coming from a 16 year old freshmen.

Comment

I think you can retire after 20 years of military service know matter what branch.
          On the guard homepage go to money, drop down to retirement and start reading.

Comment

There is no problem with having goals, just ensure you know the difference between short term and long term goals. In the short term you need to stay in school and graduate - after all I believe if you check with your recruiter you will find that your enlistment hinges upon this little fact.

As far as retirement, you can retire after 20 years, or stay till they kick you out. As a ARNG soldier you will not draw retirement pay unitl age 60, however you still retain retirement benefits and base access immediately upon retirement. You just have to wait a bit longer for the direct monetary incentives.

By going full time, if you are in a military position as opposed to a civil servent or civilian trechnician position, you can complete the minimum or maximum years of service and begin drawing all retirement benefits, to include money and medical the day after you retire.

I would think you need to keep the long term in mind, but focus on the short term - complete school and graduate, get into the military and get fully qualified as a soldier, and then go from there with the next phase of your career planning, such as professional development. If and AGR slot appears and you secure it through qualification and stellar performance ratings then you are on your way to fulfilling your long term goals.

Check out these links from this site:

[URL="http://www.1800goguard.com/money/money_retirement.html"][B]http://www.1800goguard.com/money/money_retirement.html[/B][/URL]

[I]and[/I]

[URL="http://www.1800goguard.com/money/money_earn.php"][B]http://www.1800goguard.com/money/money_earn.php[/B][/URL]
            Last edited by LRSU_Dog; May 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=tex8ball]Dude, get your prioritys straight, your talking about joining the army, but you might drop out and get a G.E.D thats stupid. I dont sugar coat stuff i give it strainght, if you are wanting answers and people to take you serious, get serious.Its great you want to serve your country but your attitude , example your asking what do i get money money money, you see dollar signs, freebies.
              But what do i know this opinion coming from a 16 year old freshmen.[/QUOTE]

Well your probably in IB or AB or what ever those smart classes are called. Im hardly passing high school you think im going to go to College look at me I don't have good grammer and stuff ill be amazed if I passed the ASVAB test. If I flunk this year im going to go into some special ed class with some retards, if I do that yeah im dropping out what 2+2 chris? Answer 6? Very Very good Chris you want a cookie for trying the Answer is 4 thoe you were very very Close im Proud of you? Read that isn't that stupid. IM a freaking 10th grader I pass sometimes I don't pass. Anything else you want to say about me getting a G.E.D? Actually your right I see dollar signs and stuff but that is not the main reason I want to join it is on my list to join but my main reason is Driving the big trucks, being a MP or doing construction but I like driving and thats a job in the Army so Im going to take it if I pass the asvab. and Retirement I was just wondering because if I can retire from the National Guards im going to retire from the National Guards. Because what else will I do with my life be a druggy?

Comment

Do the best that you can, falling short sometimes is a fact of life. You should do what you can to try to graduate with a high school diploma - if that is not possible it is commendable that you already have a PLAN B in mind by getting your GED. There is, after all absolutely nothing wrong with either or... Both get you in the military and both can get you into college if you want to down the road.

Try not to be negative in posts, likewise self deprecating. No one is perfect, and the goal is to help. Everyone is driven by different motivators, some for altruistic goals such as duty and honor, some for financial security, and still others for both. I have over 14 years of service in all three components of the Army, and upon this return to service I was notivated to be a soldier, but also take advantage of available incentives toward financial security in regard to my family and myself.

There is nothing wrong with goals, no matter what they are and what they are based upon - what matters is attaining them, in this case serving our communities and country while doing a job we want to do and ustilizing the benefits in place for soldiers to better themsleves and thier futures. The ARNG ten becomes a vehicle for attaining goals, and serving. After all, no one goes into the civilian workforce for duty, it is about financial goals - how much wil I get paid to do this job... and if I spend my whole life doing it what do I get... With the military it is the same, only with things like service and honor and respect as part of who we are.

Just remember that with all goals there are steps to attaining them, getting from point A to point B is a process - so do not lose sight of the forest because of the trees... yet remember as well that there is a forest, made from a variety of trees.
                Last edited by LRSU_Dog; May 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I am no expert, but I believe that if you drop out of high school, you can't get into the military. The military does not want a quitter.

Comment

[QUOTE=Samber]I am no expert, but I believe that if you drop out of high school, you can't get into the military. The military does not want a quitter.[/QUOTE]

What your age ? Do you know anything about the army what age you need to be what grade don't go on no [url]www.GOARMY.com[/url] site and tell me, tell me what you know if you don't know then shut ur mouth. Talk to your recruiter and see what options you have open. In till then don't talk about stuff you don't know about ! ! ! ! ! The National Guard will help you get your G.E.D.

Comment

I'm a hs senior who had some problems with school and after good consideration dropped out. I am getting my GED on the 16th. I am also signing with the Guard and yes u can sign with a GED. I don't like that I am getting my GED but its the option that works best for me. So really considerall your options before dropping out from someone who has done it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris89]What your age ? Do you know anything about the army what age you need to be what grade don't go on no [url]www.GOARMY.com[/url] site and tell me, tell me what you know if you don't know then shut ur mouth. Talk to your recruiter and see what options you have open. In till then don't talk about stuff you don't know about ! ! ! ! ! The National Guard will help you get your G.E.D.[/QUOTE]

Chris,

Consider this before taking any drastic steps and dropping out of school. These are two of the many elements of the criteria used to accept applicants into the National Guard GED Plus program:

- [B]Be withdrawn from high school at least six months prior to enlistment [/B](you'll have to wait six months before a recruiter can consider enlisting you since you won't qualify for the GED Plus).

-[B]Be 18 years old or older or be ineligible to return to your high school for completion of the high school diploma program [/B](This one is the critical one since you either have to wait until you're 18 years old or have done something other than just dropping out to cause the school to refuse to take you back. And they have to take you back as long as you are under 18 years old - kind of a catch 22).

Just like LRSU Dog is recommending, do your best and try as much as you can to get that diploma by completing high school. Don't do anything you may regret later.

Comment

Well, I turn 18 next year so yah.... I don't know, 2 of my friends was on the same past I was on they were a little bit smarter but they drop out im still trying to stick with it to make my dad happy but... I really don't know

Comment

[QUOTE=TruSoldier]Can anyone give me a list of possible Full-time or Part-time jobs in the Guard? I got an 81% on my ASVAB if that helps any. I would greatly appreciate this.

Tru[/QUOTE]
                            Goto your State ANG site, for example Nebraska's is NEguard.com, so Kentucky might be KYguard, or KentuckyGuard or something like that. There should be a link on there for you to see current openings.

Comment

Jobs in Central KY

You're in a great place for a variety of jobs in Central KY. Within a 40 mile radius, you can find everything from Infantry, Aviation, Artillery, Supply, Intel...you name it. The best option for you might be to look and see what jobs you're interested in, and let on of the recruiter's here know. If you have any questions, I'm in Lexington @ 859-433-3745.

Comment

Working...
                              X