X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting smoked anymore?

A friend, who just came back from jackson said that they wont be allowed to really smoke soldiers at BCT anymore, due to a rising number of injuries... Im not sure if this is true or not, could be, could not be...
    While I do have to say, that'd be pretty sweet, at the same time, getting smoked helps out in more than 1 area. And if it is true, it seems like basic training may end up being more like a vacation than anything.

Anyone else caught wind of this?

Re: Not getting smoked anymore?

I haven't heard anything to that effect. Last I checked, getting smoked with a fantastic idea and a real help in getting into shape.

Comment

I thought they just changed the name of it, Smoking is now called CAPEing (Corrective Action w/ Physical Exercise)

Comment

Nice try JRM1988. Front leaning rest position move!

Comment

[QUOTE=7011USMC]Nice try JRM1988. Front leaning rest position move![/QUOTE]

And don't even bother asking to recover!

Comment

We never got smoked at benning.

Just got correctively trained for hours and hours, until sweat pooled on the floor like water and the humidity in our bay rose to near saturation.

Think your friend's pulling your leg.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mizzou]We never got smoked at benning.

Just got correctively trained for hours and hours, until sweat pooled on the floor like water and the humidity in our bay rose to near saturation.

Think your friend's pulling your leg.[/QUOTE]
              yes... E 3/47 Ft Benning had lots and lots of corrective training. We never got smoked. :rolleyes:

Comment

Smoked and CAPE are the same thing. You ****ed up years ago, you got smoked. You **** up now, you get CAPE'd. The **** ups years ago are the **** ups now. What they ****ed up years ago are what they're ****ing up now.

Granted, years years years ago was a lot tougher. I went to Basic where we got smoked...but if the Captain or 1SGT saw it going on for too long, he would stop it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Teuvil]Smoked and CAPE are the same thing. You ****ed up years ago, you got smoked. You **** up now, you get CAPE'd. The **** ups years ago are the **** ups now. What they ****ed up years ago are what they're ****ing up now.

Granted, years years years ago was a lot tougher. I went to Basic where we got smoked...but if the Captain or 1SGT saw it going on for too long, he would stop it.[/QUOTE]

I thought in Jackson, "getting smoked" nowadays meant that the drill sergeants pull out a smoker and share babybacks with the privates? ;)

My 1SG was actually much worse than the drill sergeants....being a former drill sergeant himself. We feared him the most. You know how later in the game, the DS might show an ounce of civility? Not this guy. He was talking on the phone to a private that was calling from the hospital and kept yelling "Are you standing at parade rest over there private?!?!? You better be!" :p
                  Last edited by SteveLord; December 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Eh, Jackson had female drill sergeants. Because of them, 4 of our soldiers were medically discharged because we had to low crawl in the field infront of the barracks for hours. It was also a field of dirt and rocks with some grass poking through.

We only feared our 1SG because he loved to be up in the middle of the night...outside......especially in the rain.......

Comment

[QUOTE=Teuvil]We only feared our 1SG because he loved to be up in the middle of the night...outside......especially in the rain.......[/QUOTE]

Your 1SG was the devil. :confused:

Comment

[QUOTE=Teuvil]Eh, Jackson had female drill sergeants. Because of them, 4 of our soldiers were medically discharged because we had to low crawl in the field infront of the barracks for hours. It was also a field of dirt and rocks with some grass poking through.

We only feared our 1SG because he loved to be up in the middle of the night...outside......especially in the rain.......[/QUOTE]

Most of the time, we got smoked for fun. Never by the first sgt. He never interacted with us except for first formation and graduation pratice. I know by reading about everyone's experiences, my bct was very easy. Not complaing but wish it would have been more disciplined. Then AIT at Ft. Lee was more strict and we got some great smokings the first 2-3 weeks. After that my platoon was the high speed, most disciplined platoon (not really, but everyone made us look good) and we were never in trouble... We could have gotten away with murder but no one acted that badly.

Comment

Best smoking ever...

My first tour of duty was on a Basic Training post...so we got to watch the smokings many times a day...

They had a position they called "watching tv". It was kind of like the front leaning rest, except you are on your elbows and your chin is in your palms...Then the DS would tell you to slap the tv for better reception, and to turn the channel, etc...making the recruit hold themselves up with one arm and "slap the tv" with the other..

One recruit, when told to turn the channel, poked at the ground with his finger.."What the **** are you doing?"

"Using the remote, Drill Sergeant..."

It take true discipline to not bust out laughing while yelling at a kid like that...

Comment

Re: Best smoking ever...

[QUOTE=California Major]My first tour of duty was on a Basic Training post...so we got to watch the smokings many times a day...

They had a position they called "watching tv". It was kind of like the front leaning rest, except you are on your elbows and your chin is in your palms...Then the DS would tell you to slap the tv for better reception, and to turn the channel, etc...making the recruit hold themselves up with one arm and "slap the tv" with the other..

One recruit, when told to turn the channel, poked at the ground with his finger.."What the **** are you doing?"

"Using the remote, Drill Sergeant..."

It take true discipline to not bust out laughing while yelling at a kid like that...[/QUOTE]

I was like that guy a couple of times at BCT. DS used to make us push for our mail and would read aloud who it was from. My sister sent me a letter and he started spouting off about getting with her. He asked if she was single and I told him no, but I had a couple of brothers he might be interested in. Needless to say, I didn't sleep that night as I was crawling around in the sand pit on my face looking for loose brass he'd buried for me to find.

Comment

Re: Best smoking ever...

We were all standing in line in the squad bay and the DI (DS) was in a tirade because he found a couple footlockers that were unlocked. Tossing their contents around there was a recruit standing next to me who was smiling about it and the DI locked on to that and proceeded to rip the guy a new hole about being "unsat" and all that. The recruit must have locked up really good because as the DI was yelling at him, out came this long squeak from his rear-end. The sound of a fart you only hear in a cartoon.
                              The DI went instantly silent and the recruit just started laughing. The rest of the squad was either snickering or trying our best to stay silent. I could see the smirk on the DI's face. I knew he was trying to hold in the laughter. So he pointed his finger at the recruit and said "You better square that sh*t away you nasty pig!" and that's when the rest of the platoon broke into laughter to which the DI resumed his tirade.

Comment

Working...
                              X