Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not getting smoked anymore?

Did you guys ever go fishing?

I never want to fish again... terrible experience, didn't catch anything either.

We'd done something or other that was bad. Toed the line with our rifles. Then our DS took us on a fishing trip.

You squat, parallel, holding your rifle by the flash suppressor and barrel, resting the stock on your shoulder. Then the DS would say "Cast!". You'd cast your rifle out infront of you and hold it, then reel, back to your shoulder... and cast! And reel... and cast... and reel, until we caught a fish.

By the time our fishing trip was over my legs and abs had completely gone numb from lack of circulation for holding that position for so long.

One of our reclasses effed up real bad during our FTX. He got to go fishing with a 249 for 20 minutes. Poor fella.

Comment

We got some free time one day to conduct bay/gear maintenance and one guy chose to sit in a stair well and proceed to sleep. A DS walked upstairs and saw this guy (who was a ****ebag from the day he was placed into AIT with us) sleeping and it earned him the privilege of lugging around a 240B. From that point on we seemed to have to "put em up" a lot more:D

Comment

I had my first experience of riding a motorcycle while I was at BCT :) Our DS decided to teach us all how to ride, so we all squatted, with our rifles held out in front of us like they were our handlebars, and we had to make "vroom vroom" noises and when she would say "left" or "right" we had to make a screeching sound (like tires on asphalt) and turn our rifles in the direction she said. It wasn't a bad smoking at all, it was more fun than anything :D

Comment

[QUOTE=Bones02]I had my first experience of riding a motorcycle while I was at BCT :) Our DS decided to teach us all how to ride, so we all squatted, with our rifles held out in front of us like they were our handlebars, and we had to make "vroom vroom" noises and when she would say "left" or "right" we had to make a screeching sound (like tires on asphalt) and turn our rifles in the direction she said. It wasn't a bad smoking at all, it was more fun than anything :D[/QUOTE]
          Those were the smokings I remember. Most were fun, or made fun by the DS. We really didn't get a lot of PT so everyone seemed to goof off and stay motivated while it happened. I recall a time when it poured rain for 2 days straight. Sure we did our field training, but never once did PT in the rain. No biggie, we got our PT in the bay by towing the line. We mad it fun then went down to the CTA and did shuttle sprints for like 20 minutes to get some cardio it. Usually our DS would go with it then let us off. But as I said before, we'd get it bad when one of us would screw up. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Comment

Sorry about the late reply guys...but i graduated basic in Oct. I was at Jackson. My platoon honestly never got smoked. Our DS told us he didnt believe in it and he didn't want us at sick call everday for stupid injuries would cause. I swear our company was the spoilest. Our FS had this big day room with a pool table, pac man game, tv and some more stupid crap. We didnt get to use it until the last few weeks of basic tho.

For the most part our drill sergeants were pretty nice...we learned a lot. They did a search once in our bay and found food....we thought we were about to get smoked but he said he would start giving us snacks at night cause he was tired of us taking food out the dfac. We thought the guy was crazy to be honest. After red phase my platoon didnt know what a smoking session was...too bad i cant say the rest for the rest of the company tho.

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]yes... E 3/47 Ft Benning had lots and lots of corrective training. We never got smoked. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
              C 3/47 - same story. "I WILL CORRECTIVE TRAIN THE **** OUT OF YOU!!!" no lie. that's what they said.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr$.B3@u+iful]Sorry about the late reply guys...but i graduated basic in Oct. I was at Jackson. My platoon honestly never got smoked. Our DS told us he didnt believe in it and he didn't want us at sick call everday for stupid injuries would cause. I swear our company was the spoilest. Our FS had this big day room with a pool table, pac man game, tv and some more stupid crap. We didnt get to use it until the last few weeks of basic tho.

For the most part our drill sergeants were pretty nice...we learned a lot. They did a search once in our bay and found food....we thought we were about to get smoked but he said he would start giving us snacks at night cause he was tired of us taking food out the dfac. We thought the guy was crazy to be honest. After red phase my platoon didnt know what a smoking session was...too bad i cant say the rest for the rest of the company tho.[/QUOTE]
                this cannot be true

Comment

[QUOTE=Lance13D]C 3/47 - same story. "I WILL CORRECTIVE TRAIN THE **** OUT OF YOU!!!" no lie. that's what they said.[/QUOTE]

Yep... Lance where did u go for AIT?

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr$.B3@u+iful]Sorry about the late reply guys...but i graduated basic in Oct. I was at Jackson. My platoon honestly never got smoked. Our DS told us he didnt believe in it and he didn't want us at sick call everday for stupid injuries would cause. I swear our company was the spoilest. Our FS had this big day room with a pool table, pac man game, tv and some more stupid crap. We didnt get to use it until the last few weeks of basic tho.

For the most part our drill sergeants were pretty nice...we learned a lot. They did a search once in our bay and found food....we thought we were about to get smoked but he said he would start giving us snacks at night cause he was tired of us taking food out the dfac. We thought the guy was crazy to be honest. After red phase my platoon didnt know what a smoking session was...too bad i cant say the rest for the rest of the company tho.[/QUOTE]

Wow.......just wow.

[IMG]http://www.bingegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Homer-Facepalm.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Lance13D]this cannot be true[/QUOTE]

I agree. My daughter has come up with better stories that involve getting a gold star for each day they were good, and hugs n' kisses from the DS before bedtime. :p

Comment

I am currently at jackson and some platoon's get smoked a lot while I could say Mine has been smoked maybe 4 times... It's not really bad. Maybe we just do what we are supposed to do?

Comment

actually, i did get a chance or two to talk to other companies (in 3/60th), and found that some did NOT get smoked or when they were smoked it was a joke. i was not in one of those platoons. i was hoping i would be, but instead i got one of those high speed platoons that got smoked alot and continues to have a DS that REALLY loves to smoke us. We end up smoking ourselves because he's "disappointed" with us. yeah, we're suckers for the mind games.

even though everyone is full of BS, i'd have to say some platoons do get it quite easy, if you believe what they say. even then it's subjective: consider that some guys in my platoon thought we were getting it easy. the same guys that think it's easy can't even do 5 pullups without assistance. i'm overweight and 35 - even i can do that without assistance because when i get smoked i do pushups until muscle failure. sure, pushups are easy to do when you bend at the middle and lie on the ground when the DS isn't looking. It's easy because some people dog it and cheat - but can't do crap when it counts and complain that the DS didn't count alot of their pushups...(why? because you did them wrong!)

on a strange related note, we were told that we are a "test" cycle. the army is testing what happens with less PT. the army wants recruits to get "50's" for the 2-2-2 and not overdo it on the smoking. the rationale is that you'll pass BASIC and improve at AIT (to pass with 60's) and then even further at your units. they want less injuries and it doesn't matter what you get on the PT test, so long as you pass. This infuriates our Drill Sergeants - they can't "play" with us as much...poor DS's!
                          Last edited by Oldmedic; December 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

This...

makes me want to cry.

Comment

Good lord some of these stories in here... getting smoked four times TOTAL. A GAME ROOM, with pool? The ****?

I am POSITIVE our drill sergeants had our smokings on a calendar. You could just tell. Red Phase it was a smoking every day. Sometimes twice a day. First day was a four hour smoking.

Then white phase it was a smoking every 2-3 days. After that a good one every 5-6 days.

The drill sergeants can ALWAYS find something wrong. Out of 55 guys one person is going to have a speck of rust or dirt somewhere on his rifle. Or not have shaved perfectly. Or have a bootlace untucked. Our DS always emphasized some point about attention to detail or helping your battlebuddy with the smokings.

Though our "alpha" DS was kinda crazy. Two kids from our platoon cried to the CO and got transferred to another platoon the third day cause they "felt unsafe" around our DS. Total of I think 15 people, including those two, didn't graduate with us. Had several claim to be suicidal, we were up to six up every hour, four watching the suicidal kids and then fireguard. That was a ****ty week. Half a dozen got medically discharged or sent to PTRP. Then the rest refused to train and got chaptered out. In benning, you still get smoked, to the point where people get medboarded and chapter out. Which I think is a good thing, we still had people graduate who had no business being in combat.

Comment

Mizzou: I'm pretty sure ours had smokings on schedule too. They'd let some stuff slide some days out of nowhere, but then something way smaller, they'd flip out and smoke us for like an hour. The day we got our platoon pictures made, we got smoked for 45 minutes in the sand pit for "not sounding off enough" for yellow bird. hahaha no lie! after a few days we figured out it was just so we could be covered in sand for our pictures.

Clyde: I was at Benning (C-3/47) for BCT from May to July then at Ft. Sill for AIT until sept 9th

Comment

Working...
                                X