X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CAC reader

There's a chance you won't wear them a lot. Primarily the Christmas parties.

Comment

CAC Reader and IE Security

I ordered a smart card reader after I got my CAC and just set it up yesterday. It was an initial pain in the *****, but I got it going. I find it rather amusing that it is supposed to be more secure, but once you log into a site with it you can log off, take the card out of the reader, then log back in using CAC without the card still being inserted. So, let that be a lesson to not only log off, but close the browser as well.

*Edit* - It seems AKO will throw an error, but the site I noticed it on is the NG site for applying for education benefits... ([url]https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/Benefits/Unsecured/Login.aspx[/url])

Comment

Re: CAC Reader and IE Security

ActivClient is the software that reads the card and gives that information to AKO for CAC login. I found that it doesn't work too well if you're trying to log into AKO via CAC if you're using Firefox. So Internet Explorer is the standard as far as I know. And yes, closing a browser is a good call. I'm not sure, but I believe the website tells you to do so when you log out of AKO.

Comment

CAC Reader for Mac

I did a search, but didn't really come up with any real answers. Im just curious if anyone here has any real experience with using their CAC on a Mac. I see card readers that are "Mac Compatible" but the only user review I read that talked about Mac said his didnt work with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). Anyone?

Comment

Re: CAC Reader for Mac

I've seen people with it on their macs... But i'm not sure how exactly.. I put it on my netbook fairly easily. Just google it maybe?

Comment

Re: CAC Reader for Mac

possible just have to do i with safari wont work with firefox

Comment

CAC reader?

Wheres the best place to get one of these bad boys? ACCP's site says I need to login with CAC to register and take ACCP's....

Comment

Re: CAC reader?

There's a lot of Co. level supply sgts that have them, but they are reluctant to let them go for some reason. You can usually get them on a hand receipt.

Failing that, I got mine off EBay for about $40 bucks if I remember correctly.

Comment

Whats the correct name for the reader? And is it plug n play? or do i need a CAC specific software?

Comment

[URL="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cac+card+reader"]Here are a few for ya! :)[/URL]

Comment

your unit should order them for everyone. my unit did (no hand receipt required, they are ours to keep). it's NOT plug and play, though. i have yet to get mine working, tho i gave up the first day and really havent needed to mess with it since.

Comment

I ordered one on buy.com for 20 bucks. Seems to be working, but IE is glitching when I try to register it with AKO

Comment

I found a site called militarycac.com try the software they have there to fix it.

Comment

I strongly recommend that you don't wing this one on your own.

1. Log into AKO with you username and password.
                              2. Under Quick Links, go to CAC Resource Center, which I have also [URL="https://www.us.army.mil/suite/page/241504"]linked directly here[/URL].
                              3. Read carefully, and [COLOR="red"][B]follow the freakin' instructions[/B][/COLOR]. As much as it pains you, following the instructions on that page will reduce your heartburn over the long-term. There's more to a CAC reader than just installing the device. There are software installation, security certificates installation, and CAC registration. Since none of that makes sense, I strongly recommend that you grit your teeth and follow the instructions.

Best wishes.

Comment

I know what all that means sir, lol. Had problems with my CAC when I got a new one, so had to go through the hoops at Detrick to get the security certs. installed/ accepted... Thanks for the link with the certs and drivers though! Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X