X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to approach employer?

Hey all, I just enlisted into the ARNG and I work for a corporate company...I wanted to know how do I approach my supervisor about joining the military because I never had intentions of joining when I first started there. I understand I can take a military leave of absence but I am afraid that he may pick on me one day and say "your fired" for any little reason because I joined.

Again I am afraid because its corporate and I work in nyc, Unemployment and layoffs is an everyday thing nowadays and I've personally seen layoffs with the excuse "its because the economy" when it really was "I didnt like you from the beginning"!

Re: How to approach employer?

No employer can fire you legally because of your military service. There's a law out there that protects you in this case. I'm sure another poster will site it, otherwise if you search in the forum here, there's more threads dealing with this topic.

Now...on how to approach...just tell your supervisor straight up and answer any questions he/she may have. As well, provide them with your current training/drill schedule so that they're aware of your upcoming absences.

Comment

The Federal law is the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA).

Check out [url]http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/military/statute.htm[/url] for the language of the law.

Comment

I had been working on joining when I started here, but they didn't know it. I had casually brought up the idea a few times, but never very seriously. Before I went to swear in, I talked with my boss to find a good time for me to leave that would fit best into our work schedule, then I provided them the following letter. (I'm editing out my address, and applicable phone numbers, so you guys don't e-stalk me).

[QUOTE]
        Daniel Hanson
        123 Main St.
        Minneapolis, MN 55412
        XXX-XXX-XXXX

September 26th, 2009

Boss McBoss
        Boss Title
        Boss Business
        1111 Nicollet Ave
        Minneapolis, MN 55404

Dear Mrs. Boss:

I will perform active duty with the United States Army National Guard beginning on April 26th, 2010. My absence from work for this period of military service is protected by the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), 38 United States Code, Sections 4301-33. The length of my active duty time will be approximately 14 weeks, 0 days, returning on or around August 13th, 2010.

My last day at work before I begin military service will be April 16th, 2010.
        I wish to use all accrued time off during my absence and I do not want to maintain health insurance coverage while I am away.

I will not be readily reachable while I am on active duty. If you have questions while I am away, Renee Soderlind can be contacted at XXX-XXX-XXXX or at the address listed above. If she is not reachable, my immediate supervisor, SFC Stacke can be called at XXX-XXX-XXXX or via email at [email]XXXX@us.army.mil[/email]. If you have any questions about the provisions of the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) you can contact the United States Department of Labor at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365).
        Sincerely,

Daniel Hanson

Cc: Human Resources
        [/QUOTE]

It can be a tough one. I actually ended up with a different ship date which kind of messed everything up, but legally work can't discriminate based on you choosing to leave.
        Last edited by Hanson; May 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Also keep in mind that any promotions or raises that you would NORMALLY accure during the time of work, While you are away for BCT or any other military leave should be awarded you. So for instance, if they have a 6 month policy for XXX Amount increase in pay for salary or XX% increase in pay, then it should be automatically awarded to you.

Also, since you will be away from home, make sure all your bills are in order. What I mean is that you have an auto pay through your bank or the CC, etc company for your bill setup to automatically come from your checking account that your Military money will be going to
          OR
          Power of Attorney, someone that your can trust to handle your bills to give access to your accounts.

Thanks for your decision of joining!:cool:

Comment

[QUOTE=MeMo519]Hey all, I just enlisted into the ARNG and I work for a corporate company...I wanted to know how do I approach my supervisor about joining the military because I never had intentions of joining when I first started there. I understand I can take a military leave of absence but I am afraid that he may pick on me one day and say "your fired" for any little reason because I joined.

Again I am afraid because its corporate and I work in nyc, Unemployment and layoffs is an everyday thing nowadays and I've personally seen layoffs with the excuse "its because the economy" when it really was "I didnt like you from the beginning"![/QUOTE]

MeMo519,

I completely understand what you are asking and understand the corporate world works a little different. In my company (Fortune 50) we lay off 10,000 at a time and call it WFR (Work Force Reduction) and could hide the NG issue without a problem. If I do get in by the end of the month I will be in the same boat. However, my company has a military policy that is really generous because we do about a billion dollars a year with the DOD. I'm pretty sure I would not be fired, but might be redeployed to a different division. I'm outside sales and travel nationally so my drills might get in the way of me doing my job.

Good luck and I think it is extremely important to do this right the first time. I plan on making my district manager part of the decision process.

Comment

ok, by the way......I do not have to use vacation/sick/personal time while I am away correct? this leave of absence is seperate from using that correct?

Comment

[QUOTE=MeMo519]ok, by the way......I do not have to use vacation/sick/personal time while I am away correct? this leave of absence is seperate from using that correct?[/QUOTE]

They can't require you to use a thing. They might have a nice military leave of absence program where they pay you while you're gone, but you're not required to use your benefits.

Comment

Working...
                X