X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay while in Afghanistan?

I will be going to Afghanistan in January and cannot figure out exactly what I will be receiving while I'm gone. I am currently an E-2 married with 1 child. I was in the California National Guard until the other day when I did an Interstate Transfer to Vermont so I could deploy with my friends unit. I'm not actually moving to Vermont as my wife will be staying in Los Angeles with our daughter until I return and then I will Interstate Transfer back to California. I am unsure of BAH, Hazard Duty Pay, and anything else I may receive. My zip code is 90715. Thank you in advance for any help.

Re: Pay while in Afghanistan?

As a mobilized M-Day Guard Soldier, your BAH is based on your home of record (HOR). You'll need to demonstrate to a legal standard that you actually have a HOR in that ZIP, which you substantiate with a rental contract or a mortgage statement showing the HOR address. Based on what you've written, you'd draw BAH with dependents for that CA ZIP.

Base Pay for your grade and TIS.
    Basic Allowance for Subsistence.
    Hardship Duty $100 (may vary based on location)
    Hostile Fire $225
    Family Separation $250
    SGLI payments refunded while in the combat zone.
    Military pay not subject to Federal and State income taxes while in the combat zone.

For additional background and detail, visit the [URL="http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay.html"]Military Pay site[/URL].

Comment

Thank you sir, that's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I would have to change my Home of Record since I would be transferring to another states national guard for deployment.

Comment

[QUOTE=jasonmiller1975]Thank you sir, that's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I would have to change my Home of Record since I would be transferring to another states national guard for deployment.[/QUOTE]

Your HOR is whatever it is. You are welcome to live in Alaska and drill in Florida, it's your problem how to get from here to there every month.

I strongly caution you and all others that you not try to "game" the system, because (1) it's a federal crime, and (2) it has other repercussions.

Thus, if you actually live in CA, then put it down. No prob. If you actually live in rural Alabama (very low BAH), but have an aunt in San Fransico or Manhattan, NY (very high BAH), don't try to finagle some tortured methodology that allows you to claim her address for BAH purposes. There are taxation and benefit implications (for both your aunt and you), and admin headaches that will destroy whatever BAH cash you're scoring. It's not worth it, even if you don't get caught -- don't get caught right away, that is.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]Your HOR is whatever it is. You are welcome to live in Alaska and drill in Florida, it's your problem how to get from here to there every month.

I strongly caution you and all others that you not try to "game" the system, because (1) it's a federal crime, and (2) it has other repercussions.

Thus, if you actually live in CA, then put it down. No prob. If you actually live in rural Alabama (very low BAH), but have an aunt in San Fransico or Manhattan, NY (very high BAH), don't try to finagle some tortured methodology that allows you to claim her address for BAH purposes. There are taxation and benefit implications (for both your aunt and you), and admin headaches that will destroy whatever BAH cash you're scoring. It's not worth it, even if you don't get caught -- don't get caught right away, that is.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've heard different things regarding BAH. If I'm transferring to another state to deploy won't they make me change my HOR? Also, I've heard contradicting answers on here where one will say you'll get paid BAH based on HOR and another will say you'll get it based on where your unit is located? Which is correct. My wife and I are getting all our finances in order and the BAH difference between Los Angeles(90715) and anywhere in Vermont, is huge.

Comment

Here is a site that tells your BAH based on your ZIP code. Decent tool for those who don't know.

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=usmilitary&cdn=careers&tm=46&gps=241_192_1276_555&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p554.12.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=jasonmiller1975]Sorry to revive an old thread but I've heard different things regarding BAH. If I'm transferring to another state to deploy won't they make me change my HOR? Also, I've heard contradicting answers on here where one will say you'll get paid BAH based on HOR and another will say you'll get it based on where your unit is located? Which is correct. My wife and I are getting all our finances in order and the BAH difference between Los Angeles(90715) and anywhere in Vermont, is huge.[/QUOTE]

Your BAH is based on your HOR and where your dependants are for your deployment. You DO NOT have to change your HOR to deploy with another state. I have soldiers in my unit who live in Denver Colorado and drill with us in Pennsylania. Two of them actually. Their HOR is Denver and should we get deployed that is what they will get paid for.

Being AGR I get paid BAH based on my units location, but that is a completely different matter.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]Your BAH is based on your HOR and where your dependants are for your deployment. You DO NOT have to change your HOR to deploy with another state. I have soldiers in my unit who live in Denver Colorado and drill with us in Pennsylania. Two of them actually. Their HOR is Denver and should we get deployed that is what they will get paid for.

Being AGR I get paid BAH based on my units location, but that is a completely different matter.[/QUOTE]

OK, Thank you for clarifying. It was a little confusing based on other posts.

Comment

250.00 for separation pay huh? Wow another thing they do for the married soldier...is it me or does the Army create a welfare system within the Army for people who get married and have kids. You guys don't have to pay for anything thing. Sure wish they gave out better incentives to people who stayed single and didn't have kids. After all think of the billions we save the DOD in all those benefits!

I know I will get jumped on for this, so bring it on!:D

Comment

I don't want to touch this, but you may not truly understand the impact on the family the military has. I think it should be higher! But hey you could get married and collect that extra BIG pay and see how little difference it makes.

For many of us our familys make a big sacrafice, while we choose to have a military career.

You live in Las Vegas right, drive down into North Town "North Las Vegas" and tell me how many people collect much more that that doing absoultly nothing from our government. You want to B1tch, you could start there!!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Tigerforce]250.00 for separation pay huh? Wow another thing they do for the married soldier...is it me or does the Army create a welfare system within the Army for people who get married and have kids. You guys don't have to pay for anything thing. Sure wish they gave out better incentives to people who stayed single and didn't have kids. After all think of the billions we save the DOD in all those benefits!

I know I will get jumped on for this, so bring it on!:D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we wouldn't want to have procreation or anything. We could always abort babies that inconvenience us. :rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]Yeah, we wouldn't want to have procreation or anything. We could always abort babies that inconvenience us. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ouch.... *running away screaming*

Comment

Tigerforce does have a point. What job in the USA pays you extra just to have dependents. I have a nephew that lived in Columbus and was making $9 an hour as a security guard. Joins the big army completes IET gets married and bingo making close to 40k per year with allowances.

The kid is 20 y/o with 2 yrs in and is an E4 (44E pay clerk) and makes bank compared to his counterparts in the real world.

Of course there are risk being in the military, and living in military towns outside of Fort. He even double dips and gets grub stubs:mad:!

I bet someone smarter than on this forum could figure out a compensation package that rewards single members and still save the DOD hundreds of millions perhaps billions. Like I've said Uncle Sugar takes care of the military.

Perhaps next time you should thank a tax payer when your on leave or liberty. Great pay and benefits, tailored business suites, and the chance to see the world!:D

Comment

[QUOTE=7011USMC]Perhaps next time you should thank a tax payer when your on leave or liberty. Great pay and benefits, tailored business suites, and the chance to see the world!:D[/QUOTE]

Funny...that's what I usually tell people when they thank me. I thank them for paying their taxes.

But in relation to what you said too, you're right....you can make more in the military having dependents which is the only job I know of that does that. As a matter of fact, bonuses for marriage and kids are so great in the military I often knew of Marines who did contract marriages to collect and reap the benes.

Comment

[QUOTE=7011USMC]Tigerforce does have a point. What job in the USA pays you extra just to have dependents. I have a nephew that lived in Columbus and was making $9 an hour as a security guard. Joins the big army completes IET gets married and bingo making close to 40k per year with allowances.
                              D[/QUOTE]

I do know about this as it was a common gripe in the ArmyTimes last year. Although the singles primarily want to have their income raised to that of married. Army pay for singles is really good too, since you only care for yourself...and part of that Uncle Sam does for you anyway.

It's also not like the Army gives you extra money per child. Considering the additional expenses a family takes, with more kids, it becomes less useful. (And before someone does, the whole "you get so much extramoney come tax season" thing is not true.)

Comment

Working...
                              X