X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do on drill weekends?

I joined the Guard early this month. I am curios as to what each MOS does on their drill weekends/ yearly 2 weeks.

Would you guys and gals mind sharing what your MOS and drill days are like?

Re: What do you do on drill weekends?

I was actually just thinking of posting the same exact thing.

Comment

depends on your unit my unit is a Maintenance unit so most of the time they do vehicle Maintenance

Comment

So you don't really do anything related to your MOS?

Comment

its really depending on your co's and higher up on what you do on drill weekend....

in my unit (216th en bn) we have FSC (forward support company) and HHC Headquarters Headquarters Company which i'm in.

FSC will do seperate things than hhc... like we (hhc) will do weapons qual once a year, we'll pmcs vehicles and 'get' maintenance done on them, clean weapons... do safety briefs random stuff.. usually just chill around and help out around the unit...

so its depending on what unit your in. have you met your squad leader or 1sg yet? ask them what they normally do on drill weekends.

now at AT, engineers had something to do like door breaching, mount shoothouse, land nav etc.. just to refresh our skills. depending on MOS maybe you had something to do or you didnt.

get ahold of your squad leader or higher ups and ask them :)

good luck!

Comment

It depends on what type of unit your are in. I'm in a medic unit but we hardly do medic training. We are a ground ambulance company so we mainly to PMCS on our FLA's. Boring as all get out but we need to know the in's and out's of them.

Comment

I see...
              So you guys usually don't do related things during drill?

Comment

I show up Friday morning, and leave for the PZ or stright to the field. After the jump, we begin field operations or we'll do platoon level training. We leave the training grounds on Sunday morning and get released after eveything is clean.

Comment

There are a lot of non-MOS annual requirements that eat a lot time...suicide prevention, ***ual harassment prevention, etc, etc...But there should be some MOS training at least quarterly.

Comment

I have a history degree from college & worked in the civilian world as a construction project manager.

Your MOS is training that serves as a basis for what you do. Your job position within the unit is what you actually do. Drill is in garrison. That means you have to PMCS & maintain vehicles, do mandatory training, etc. All units do that stuff. After that, different types of units will do different amounts & types of training. If you're in an HHC for instance, you'll do a lot of support tasks, where if you're in a line unit you'll do more of what your MOS is about.

Short answer: Every MOS, every unit, and every position within a unit will be different. And every drill will be different.

Comment

Two words: smoke break.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]Two words: smoke break.[/QUOTE]

If this is your main thing that soldiers do on a drill weekend, your unit has serious problems. There is always a training schedule, it needs to be followed and people need to be held accountable, there is always time to train.

EXAMPLE, if your at the rifle range, and not everybody fires at the same time, the soldiers sitting around could be doing something. Have 2 radios set aside and they can work on radio proceedure and giving 9 lines. Another idea, they can find what there pace count is. Just something that will help them and the unit, and not have them sitting around doing nothing.

Get involved in your section, and come up with a section training agenda, then follow it. Maybe somebody just needs to step forward.

Inventory your equipment, and make sure it works. EXAMPLE, if you have a GP tent, go put it up. It will let you know if all parts are there, and give practice putting it up and taking it down. It might not be the best training but it gets people doing things and serves a purpose.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]If this is your main thing that soldiers do on a drill weekend, your unit has serious problems. There is always a training schedule, it needs to be followed and people need to be held accountable, there is always time to train.

EXAMPLE, if your at the rifle range, and not everybody fires at the same time, the soldiers sitting around could be doing something. Have 2 radios set aside and they can work on radio proceedure and giving 9 lines. Another idea, they can find what there pace count is. Just something that will help them and the unit, and not have them sitting around doing nothing.

Get involved in your section, and come up with a section training agenda, then follow it. Maybe somebody just needs to step forward.

Inventory your equipment, and make sure it works. EXAMPLE, if you have a GP tent, go put it up. It will let you know if all parts are there, and give practice putting it up and taking it down. It might not be the best training but it gets people doing things and serves a purpose.[/QUOTE]

Phantom, with all due respect...its all good in theory. And actually works well in higher end units or those where this has been established as common.

But in my experience, it's a rarity unless you happen to have that 1 hard@$$ leader.

And please, no putting up tents. That's torture, not training. :rolleyes:

Comment

Try going through a three day training on the SICPS. Standardized Integrated Command Post System Then put it up and take it down at two ATs, and MOB. Only to find out it isnt authorized overseas and was pointless. Each time putting it up and taking it down we used 20-50 people and it took average of about seven hours or so. This included the basic wiring and basic tables and such.
                            Last edited by WIBecky74; September 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]If this is your main thing that soldiers do on a drill weekend, your unit has serious problems. There is always a training schedule, it needs to be followed and people need to be held accountable, there is always time to train.

Inventory your equipment, and make sure it works. EXAMPLE, if you have a GP tent, go put it up. It will let you know if all parts are there, and give practice putting it up and taking it down. It might not be the best training but it gets people doing things and serves a purpose.[/QUOTE]

I can respect where you are coming from but God I hate people who pull stuff out their b-hole! You can't expect joe's to work a full month in two to three days!

Comment

Working...
                              X