Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining New Jersey ARNG from another state.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining New Jersey ARNG from another state.

I am interested in applying for an 09S slot with the New Jersey National Guard. I am planning to move there In a year and was wondering if it is possible to join from another state. I know I have the option of joining my state ARNG then applying for an IST, but Im not sure how long the process will take, and by the time I get done with all of the training (i.e BCT, AIT, or OCS) a year would have elapsed anyway.

My second question is does anyone know what is the process like for an O9S enlistment in New Jersey. If you meets all of the requirements to go to OCS, is it just a matter of signing a contract or are there other steps like board selection, oral interview, etc? Anyone who has knowledge on this topic I invite your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mikey314; March 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM.

Re: Joining New Jersey ARNG from another state.

You can join a state other than where you reside. It's fairly common, especially in the tri-state area that you're looking at. As long as you make it to duty on time. ;)

(Sent you a PM for a contact in Jersey.)
    Last edited by SteveLord; March 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Don't move to New Jersey, holy cow, New Jersey is rediculously expensive.

Coming over 3,000 miles here for Advanced Training, was a dumb idea on multiple accounts, but the sheer expense on the little stipend we get, I'm not sure where you are from, but if anything, go to Delaware or Pennsylvania, or somewhere outside of New Jersey.

You're going to pay rediculous costs of living coming over here. Luckily my training program has ended, and will be returning to Seattle, soon. But my God, if possible, look to live elsewhere.

There are people here who drive over 45 mins to 2 hours to get to work everyday, just to avoid the costs of living here. That includes some staff here who are in the NJARNG, one of them comes in from Albany, NY.

Another major thing to consider: Nework area, I wouldn't recommend living in that region. Middlesex County (Piscataway, Edison, etc) is decent, but jobs are scarce, and cost of living as I've already said in this region (I currently reside in Edison, just about finished with Advanced Training before going back to Seattle) is outright rediculous. And also, sleeping with the window open, all night long you'll hear random gunshots in the distance, and sirenes going all night. Even just walking around town you'll see some stuff going on. I would highly recommend not relocating to NJ lol.

Go to Delaware or Pennsylvania lol

You know it's bad, when you pay $0.20 for a packet of top ramen, when in your home area they are only $0.10 each......
      Last edited by FutureEngineer; March 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, NJ is one of the most expensive states to live in and has some of the highest taxes. Especially in the north. I lived in Jersey City. Didn't hear gunshots, but sirens and car alarms are regular noises. ;)

Comment

I've lived in MD, CO, and am heading back to MD but have remained a member of the MSARNG (very few guys in my section actually live in MS). I pay my own travel, lodging, and rental car but claim the expenses on taxes.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord;155017]Yes, NJ is one of the most expensive states to live in and has some of the highest taxes. Especially in the north. I lived in Jersey City. Didn't hear gunshots, but sirens and car alarms are regular noises. ;)[/QUOTE]

Walking down Plainfield a few nights ago, all you could here were random gunshots in the background. It's to the point you just ignore it like it's "normal" to hear it all the time. Like last night, we had our bay windows open. All you could hear from outside were series of gunshots, then pauses, a couple more gunshots. Halfhour goes by, than it sounds like a warzone and cop sirens (multiple cars) going off toward where all the gunshots were coming from.

I don't know how Jersey City is, because my NJ experience is from Edison to Nework, but around this area, it's ghetto as heck. I would never bring a family into NJ. Work? sure, but live? You'd have to be nuts. I"m told Jersey Shore is pretty nice, and sourthern parts of NJ, but I don't know from personal experience.

Cony Island, Staten Island, Long Island, and Manhatten NY are pretty nice. Haven't had issues visiting those areas. Philidelphia (Sourthern) is quite nice as well it seemed. (But dear God, stay out of Northern)

But to be honest, if I was going to serve in the NJ ARNG, I would never live in NJ. lol

It's also pretty bad when you're paying $1,000 a monthes rent on an apartment that in WA, would be $400-600 a month.... Only staff I know who live in NJ, they are paying $1,800 a month in rent for their Apartments. Not homes, apartments.... You'd have to be either rich, or insane to live here. lol

I don't know how expensive MD is to live, nor OH, but NJ is rediculous. You also have 39% taxes... Between the three Fed Taxes, then your income tax, then property tax, at least in the area I'm at in NJ, people who live in this area are putting 39% of their incomes in taxes.

Comment

Allow me to help you become acquainted with New Jersey.

[img]http://media.topscms.com//MetroNews/Published/images/45/ce/c1e10c6b425aa08fe49e102681b0.jpg[/img]

Comment

This all sums it up about right. I am in the NJ guard, which has one of the best state education programs out there, but I live in PA and I work in MD.

Comment

+1 Polo. Going to post that on my wife's FB. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X