X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAG AGR: Realistic?

I am a newly minted attorney and prior service Guard NCO. I wanted to get feedback about the prospects of landing an AGR post as a JAG.

The only reason I left the Guard in the first place was for law school. It was always my plan to comeback after gaining my license. With the disastrous legal market out there right now (I graduated 6 months ago and have only had 1 interview) JAG is now makes more sense than ever.

I thought about active, but don't know how much my wife will appreciate having to move out of the state. So, AGR would be a much better option.

Thoughts?

Have you tried the Legal Aid Society in NY? Have you check the AGR website? I went from Guard to Active as an enlisted and now a Warrant Officer; well obviously for you it will be a direct commission. Many doors are open on the active side. I am doing a tour in Europe now. Isnt change good? ;)

[URL="http://www.agrjob.com/"]http://www.agrjob.com/[/URL]

Good luck
    Last edited by WO1 Quinones; November 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I've been watching our state site for about 2 years now, have only seen 1 posting for a JAG officer. So yes, I believe they are out there, but few and far between...

Comment

Hey LT oops Airborne!! How is life treating you? Did you get a 4 day at the school? I have a 5 day wow lol.

Comment

Roger....got a 4 day. Well, we have to do like an hour of jump refresher on Sunday but that's it.

Comment

Another question: Will my 8 years of enlisted service count towards time in service payraise after commission?

Comment

[QUOTE=CJLaw]Another question: Will my 8 years of enlisted service count towards time in service payraise after commission?[/QUOTE]

Yes! If you are anywhere near MD I can have LT Taylor give you a call.

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]Yes! If you are anywhere near MD I can have LT Taylor give you a call.[/QUOTE]

I'm in PA. The Maryland border is only about an hour and half from me.

Comment

[QUOTE=CJLaw]I'm in PA. The Maryland border is only about an hour and half from me.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh OK. Is that a yes, have him give me a call, or a naaaa, that ok thanks anyway Ski

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]Ahhhhh OK. Is that a yes, have him give me a call, or a naaaa, that ok thanks anyway Ski[/QUOTE]

that's a, if the guy can find me a JAG AGR slot have him give me a call, ski

Comment

[QUOTE=CJLaw]that's a, if the guy can find me a JAG AGR slot have him give me a call, ski[/QUOTE]

PM me your info. I'll call him tommarrow. You might come in as JAG, but AGR as some other officer job. Maybe you will need a super high speed SPC to work for ya :cool:

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]Ahhhhh OK. Is that a yes, have him give me a call, or a naaaa, that ok thanks anyway Ski[/QUOTE]

Ski thanks for helping out a former NG NCO! I appreciate you taking your time and looking into my situation. If you can find me a spot....YOUR THE GREATEST.....if not p-is-s up a rope. Some people just don't have a clue Ski:rolleyes: 24/7 your always on the job good looking out....Hooah!

Comment

[QUOTE=CJLaw]Another question: Will my 8 years of enlisted service count towards time in service payraise after commission?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you keep your years of service for pay and retirement.

Comment

[QUOTE=CJLaw]I am a newly minted attorney and prior service Guard NCO. I wanted to get feedback about the prospects of landing an AGR post as a JAG.

The only reason I left the Guard in the first place was for law school. It was always my plan to comeback after gaining my license. With the disastrous legal market out there right now (I graduated 6 months ago and have only had 1 interview) JAG is now makes more sense than ever.

I thought about active, but don't know how much my wife will appreciate having to move out of the state. So, AGR would be a much better option.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Typically, each State will have one AGR JAG, and it's usually a senior person (MAJ/LTC).

Additional options to pursue:[LIST][*]Volunteer for mobilization with your State Mob Officer.[*]Volunteer (with your commander's permission) on GKO for nation-wide mobilizations.[*]Apply for a temporary tour (COTTAD or ADOS) on GKO; this will almost assuredly require you to relocate to Washington, DC area.[*]Apply for Title 10 AGR on GKO. This may take several months to happen, however.[/LIST]

Comment

Agr Jag

I'm the AGR JA for Maine. Give me a call and I can give you the scoop on it.

207-626-4328

Comment

Working...
                              X