Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

I have a RE-4 BUT....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    [QUOTE=California Captain]

    In a time when our armed forces needs members, it would seem that some leniency is in order.[/QUOTE]

    I think that doo-doo bags can change as they mature and experience life. But getting a second chance in the military takes a long while. Build that civilian work history that could bring possibly bring some strong character to your waiver.


    • #17
      some what similar

      [QUOTE=battlebuddyp]I have an RE-4 from the Army, I have read a lot that an Army RE-4 is definately a no-go. However I have to talked to a recruiter in the past and he said to get a bunch of letters of reference... I was discharged because 2 soldiers said i sold drugs to keep their other friend out of trouble. However, there was never ANY proof other than 2 soldiers giving a statement. The Army has a "your guilty until proven innocent" kinda law. So needless to say I'm out, can't work for the Gov't (my main reason for joining at the time), and don't even get my GI bill. My attorney at time of discharge pleaded that I was remorseful for my actions (told the board basically what they wanted to hear) which in turn upgraded my OTH to a General under Honorable conditions discharge. But that RE-4 still stuck with me. I know that in the civilian world that would've never had gotten this far. I want to know if anyone has had or heard of similar situations. Basically I want back in, I was given a bum rap and feel like I was mistreated. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone else think that its wrong?

      Can anyone Help?

      I got out of the Corps with a General Under Honorable Condition and a RE-4
      I was told that there was no other way of going into the military. but i was able to join the guard with a waiver and i got in no prob. and i soon as i com back form the sand box i will have new discharge code and i will be able to go active duty again this time in the Army. so you do have an option believe me.


      • #18

        [QUOTE=hernandezjv]I got out of the Corps with a General Under Honorable Condition and a RE-4
        I was told that there was no other way of going into the military. but i was able to join the guard with a waiver and i got in no prob. and i soon as i com back form the sand box i will have new discharge code and i will be able to go active duty again this time in the Army. so you do have an option believe me.[/QUOTE]

        I am happy that things have worked out for you Private Hernandez.


        • #19
          Thank you Sir

          [QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I am happy that things have worked out for you Private Hernandez.[/QUOTE]

          i realized that i messed up before and now i have a second chance as should all good soldiers should have.


          • #20
            PVT. Hernandez

            Oohrah glad to hear everything has worked out for you! Good luck in future endeavors.


            • #21
              I appreciate everybodyís responses to this matter. This event has ultimately ruined everything that I had wanted in life. The most of all to serve this great nation Honorably and looked at as a respectable civilian thereafter. I feel ashamed to know that I was discharged from the military regardless of the circumstances. If only Cpt. Day and I can rectify this matter I may be able to show the Army what a good soldier I was and am. Again, I thank you all for the support you have shown.



              • #22
                there's always the foreign legion

                Have you thought about the foreign legion?


                • #23
                  Dont be so hard on yourself. There is always light at the end of the tunnel


                  • #24

                    And I'm not quite sure what the foreign legion is... I suppose its serving another country? I want to serve our country.. Protect USA from all enemies foreign and domestic... I hope I find that light, Cpt. Day has been very helpful in the search... I reccommend him as a recruiter to anyone. His patience and dedication, shows what type of officer he is. I would be proud to have him as a BC.


                    • #25
                      [QUOTE=battlebuddyp] I would be proud to have him as a BC.[/QUOTE]

                      Well by the time he becomes a LTC (sometimes Majors can hold the slot but rare), you probably will.

                      The foreign legion is the French foreign legion. I hear you point. France is kind of far. But you can always go into the Peace or Americorps. Dont need to carry a weapon to serve.


                      • #26

                        Sorry I was meaning Battery Commander. I was Artillery lol. Thats True I may look into that if this fails.


                        • #27

                          Aw, Shucks...:rolleyes:


                          • #28
                            o as well

                            You are right. Cant forget the King of Battle. Nevertheless, someone who goes out of there way to help someone; especially someone that is not tangible, has alot to be commended for.


                            • #29
                              Since this is a common/thread post

                              from the army times

                              [B]Correcting your official record[/B]

                              Q. What is the Board for Correction of Military Records?
                              A. Many service members have heard of the Board for Corrections of Military Records but have no clue about the important powers of the board or how to place a claim before it.
                              Each service calls its board something different. For the Army, itís the Army Board for Correction of Military Records; for the Air Force, itís the Board for the Correction of Military Records; and for the Navy and Marine Corps, itís the Board for Correction of Naval Records.
                              In this column, Iíd like to talk about the powers of the boards and how a service member can place a claim before the board.
                              The boards are the highest level of administrative review within the military services. The boards consider individual applications that are properly brought before them and, when appropriate, direct or recommend the correction of military records to remove an error or injustice.
                              With limited exceptions, all decisions by the boards are binding on all Army, Air Force and Department of Navy officials and other government agencies.
                              What powers do the boards have? The boards can upgrade a discharge, remove a letter of reprimand and change the narrative reason for a discharge.
                              For example, a board can upgrade an other-then-honorable discharge received in lieu of a court-martial. A board also can remove a negative evaluation in a memberís personnel file.
                              This is not an all-inclusive list, just several examples of the powers of these boards.
                              Active-duty soldiers and former members of the Regular Army, Navy and Air Force; the Army, Navy and Air Force Reserve; and Army and Air National Guard can apply for the correction of their records. If a former member is deceased or incompetent, the surviving spouse, next of kin or a legal representative may apply.
                              However, applications must include supporting documents such as a certified copy of a marriage license, death certificate or power of attorney, as appropriate.
                              There are some time limits for filing. An application must be filed within three years after an alleged error or injustice is discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. However, these boards have the authority to waive an untimely application in the interest of justice.
                              Once an application is filed, a board can take anywhere from six months to two years to make a ruling.
                              Applicants have the burden of proving an error or injustice by preponderance of the evidence. In reviewing each application, the boards start with the presumption of administration regularity; itís the applicantís burden to overcome this.
                              This may be done through statements in affidavit form or official documents or records. You may submit a written statement along with your application stating the reasons you believe corrective action is warranted.
                              At least three board members consider each application, with one member designated as chairperson. Each application is then reviewed by the panel to determine whether the applicant has met his burden by preponderance of the evidence to show that an error or injustice occurred, and if so, what relief is appropriate.
                              There is no right to a hearing before the boards, but the director of a board may grant a formal hearing whenever justice requires. Majority vote of the panel members constitutes a decision by the panel.
                              What will justify an upgrade in discharge? An upgrade in characterization of service can be based on unfairness or the contention that the discharge imposed was unjustified or inequitable. For example, an OTH discharge granted in the past for homo***uality could be upgraded due to issues of equity. Other discharges can be upgraded based on the facts of your youthfulness or inexperience at the time of your military service.
                              The board must make findings, recommendations and rationale for a denial in writing. Decisions can be appealed, usually by filing in federal court.
                              You can be represented by an attorney in matters brought before a records correction board, but keep in mind that the services are precluded from paying attorney fees, even if you are victorious.
                              Application for correction of military records is made by using form DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record. The form can be [URL=""][COLOR=#0066cc]downloaded[/COLOR][/URL] online.
                              Mathew B. Tully, Esq. is a field artillery officer in the New York National Guard currently deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Bright Star. He is also the founding partner of [URL=""][COLOR=#0066cc]Tully, Rinckey and Associates[/COLOR][/URL], a law firm in Albany, N.Y. E-mail your legal questions to [EMAIL=""][COLOR=#0066cc][/COLOR][/EMAIL].


                              • #30

                                Thank you Very Much! I really appreciate your efforts in assisting me in this matter. I will definately get in touch with that lawyer, as well as continue with the with the board of corrections. I will keep you and this forum informed as to the outcome of the case.