Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

I have a RE-4 BUT....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have a RE-4 BUT....

    I have an RE-4 from the Army, I have read a lot that an Army RE-4 is definately a no-go. However I have to talked to a recruiter in the past and he said to get a bunch of letters of reference... I was discharged because 2 soldiers said i sold drugs to keep their other friend out of trouble. However, there was never ANY proof other than 2 soldiers giving a statement. The Army has a "your guilty until proven innocent" kinda law. So needless to say I'm out, can't work for the Gov't (my main reason for joining at the time), and don't even get my GI bill. My attorney at time of discharge pleaded that I was remorseful for my actions (told the board basically what they wanted to hear) which in turn upgraded my OTH to a General under Honorable conditions discharge. But that RE-4 still stuck with me. I know that in the civilian world that would've never had gotten this far. I want to know if anyone has had or heard of similar situations. Basically I want back in, I was given a bum rap and feel like I was mistreated. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone else think that its wrong?

    Can anyone Help?


  • #2

    bump bump bump


    • #3

      I think since you've gotten the type changed you may have a shot. I think it's OTH RE-4, are a no go. I would contact a recruiter. In fact I would recomend contact several recruiters.

      Some recruiters don't want to take the time to help a person in your shoes. I suggest shoping for a recruiter. You can always hire a lawyer to put you a packet together, if a recruiter is too lazy.


      • #4
        it does not matter if its a OTH re 3 its a no go. also you can have a RE4 and it say honorable but guess what its a no go. If you have a army RE 4 or a OTH from any service you cannot join without gettin it changed. NO letters of refrence will help you get in till you get that changed.


        • #5
          Board review

          You can always petition to have your discharge changed. Under an Army Discharge Review Board.

          You can hire the help of a lawyer, to get you through the process. But if you were discharged recently your chances aren't good.


          • #6
            Oh ya

            I was discharged in May of 2005. And the letters were for the dischrage review board


            • #7
              It is the age old story of regret. Chaulk it up has a hard lesson learned. There is the state militia you can join in. Every state has one and it is strickly volunteer with no pay. However, it is a opportunity to serve your community and state. I admire your desire to serve; However, Sgt. Tischner is on point with his commentary. If you play with fire eventually you'll get burnt. Stay focus get on with your life. Go to your state employment office and look into vocational training. There is always need for "over the road" truck drivers. Some companies even offer free training. If not fill out a FASA and get some student loans, work and finance your education. It will take alot of effort but if you have the drive to succeed you'll make a way! Good luck


              • #8

                I do appreciate all those that have chimed in... It seems as though something was mis-read. I have done NOTHING wrong. I am innocent. I did not do what I was accused of and discharged for.


                • #9
                  "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."
                  -Alonzo, Training Day (2001)

                  I feel for you, but the reality is that your paperwork says one thing, and you say another. Until and unless you can get your paperwork to say the 'right' thing, you're not going to get the opportunity to serve again. Your only chance is to get the discharge recharacterized, and that's probably a very slim chance, considering you've already gone to the review board once and a correction was made.

                  Good luck.


                  • #10
                    I never went to the review board. I appealed being discharged while still in. I was represented by a Jag attorney. While being discharged they I signed the paper saying that if they don't upgrade me I want a hearing. They gave it to me and there was an O-4, O-3, and O-2. They unanimously decided that I didn't deserve an OTH. Nice quote awesome movie!

                    [QUOTE=Frisco]"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."
                    -Alonzo, Training Day (2001)

                    I feel for you, but the reality is that your paperwork says one thing, and you say another. Until and unless you can get your paperwork to say the 'right' thing, you're not going to get the opportunity to serve again. Your only chance is to get the discharge recharacterized, [COLOR="Red"]and that's probably a very slim chance, considering you've already gone to the review board once and a correction was made.[/COLOR]

                    Good luck.[/QUOTE]


                    • #11
                      My mistake - I apologize for missreading your post. Still, the quote (and yes, great movie) applies. What can you take to the corrections board that will convince them to change your RE code? In the abscence of any compelling new evidence, the default position is that they will do nothing.

                      Don't know that I can help at all, but I do wish you luck. Here is a link referencing correction of military records:


                      Which contains the following sentence:

                      "The secretary of a military department, acting through a board for correction of military records, has authority to change any military record when necessary to correct an error [I][B]or remove an injustice[/B][/I]."


                      • #12
                        Army discharge review boards

                        Research it on the internet. There is a review board and a corrections board. You don't have to hire a lawyer, but it's worth it if you do. Hire a lawyer that deals with Military seperations.

                        You're chances are very slim. The greatest factor is time, on average you have to wait at least 8 years before they will change a discharge. You have to show evidence on how your life has improved.

                        A good lawyer will cost about 1,500 dollars for a review. They will work with you on submiting a "poop" hot review. Very few discharges are changed a year out of the hundreds that are reviewed.

                        The whole process of chaning a discharge could take up to 4 years. But you have nothing but time. Hope this helps, good luck.


                        • #13
                          RE-Codes are a B to change

                          To change RE-Codes is a much different and harder task than have your character of service change e.g. other than honorable to general under honorable. I knew alot of buds who went through the process and it took them ages. One took almost a decade. Here is a brief read.....

                          [B]Changing Reenlistment Eligibility (RE) Codes[/B]

                          The Armed Forces use [URL=""][COLOR=#0000ff]Reenlistment Eligibility (RE) codes[/COLOR][/URL] to categorize individuals for enlistment or reenlistment in the Armed Forces. RE codes in the '1' series indicate a person is eligible for immediate reenlistment or prior service enlistment, provided otherwise eligible. RE codes in the '2', '3' and '4' series restrict the individual from immediate reenlistment or prior service enlistment. You must receive a review and/or waiver of these RE codes before you are eligible to enlist again.
                          There are many qualified prior service applicants who possess a '1' series RE code who will not be able to reenter the military due to specific needs of the service. (See article on [URL=""][COLOR=#0000ff]Prior Service Enlistments[/COLOR][/URL]).
                          In most cases, a person with a "2" RE or "4" RE code is not allowed to enlist. Those with an RE Code of "3" may be allowed to enlist, with a waiver, if they can show that the reason for discharge no longer applies. Such waivers are granted through the individual services through military recruiters, not the DRB process.
                          The Discharge Boards will not directly consider a request to change the RE code in the DRB process. There is one exception: If the DRB upgrades an applicant's discharge, the Board will also consider whether the RE code should be changed. If the applicant is considered a good candidate to return to the military, the RE code will be changed to "3A"--a waiverable code.
                          [I]Any request to directly consider a change to RE code not involving change to the characterization of service and/or narrative reason for separation must be made through the appropriate [/I][URL=""][I][COLOR=#0000ff]Board of Correction for Military Records[/COLOR][/I][/URL][I]. [/I]
                          If you are seeking a waiver or change of the RE code for the purpose of entering another branch of service, you will need to contact the appropriate service recruiter. The prerogative to waive the individual's RE in ineligibility based on post service performance and conduct rests with the Secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force. Each Secretary may allow an individual to enlist in the service under his/her jurisdiction. The Secretary of one branch of the Armed Forces has no authority to waive reenlistment/enlistment ineligibility for another service. For example, if a former Army member wishes to enlist in the Air Force, he/she must process through Air Force channels for prior service enlistment. If the RE code renders the veteran ineligible, he/she must process any review or change action through Army channels.


                          • #14
                            Any Success Stories?

                            As the DD Form 149 asks

                            "I request the following error or injustice in the record be corrected"
                            "I belive the record to be in error or unjust for the following reasons"

                            I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to believe that a young soldier was ramrodded by his chain of command in the interest of coming to a conclusion quickly.

                            In a time when our armed forces needs members, it would seem that some leniency is in order.


                            • #15
                              California CPT.

                              A second chance to redeem a soldier is admirable. The post was dead on point. That is fair leadership. Your going to make an excellent BC someday.