X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated OCS

Are there any newly commisioned officers out there that have recently completed the Accelarated OCS program and would be willing to share their experience? I am a 40 year old (just turned) prior service Marine with my 4 year degree looking to make a decision on joining the National Guard and attending Accelerated OCS vs State OCS.

If you do a search for accelerated OCS, quite a few threads come up. IMO, AOCS is much better than traditional.

Comment

[QUOTE=dvldog8892]Are there any newly commisioned officers out there that have recently completed the Accelarated OCS program and would be willing to share their experience? I am a 40 year old (just turned) prior service Marine with my 4 year degree looking to make a decision on joining the National Guard and attending Accelerated OCS vs State OCS.[/QUOTE]

Dog:

Accelerated OCS is much much better than State. First and foremost, you'll be 42 by the time of commission. It takes longer. And it's time and mind consuming. It's not the same to put yourself in the military state of mind for a weekend thing as opposed to "active" full time schooling. Your mind will be set in the military mode for the complete period of training. In State OCS, going back and forth to OCS and Work and civilian life and family matters and family reunions and friends requests and home improvement, should I go on.

Second, in State OCS, you have to take time off work to meet with the other Class members to review next drill schedule, and the weekend starts on friday, only paying sat and sun. Also you might be in a class with OCS candidates without the same civilian responsibilities as you (work and family) and this might be tough to compare, time wise. And you still need to work for a living. (i imagine)

On the other hand, although you'll do plenty of PT during OCS, State or Accelerated, you still have to take time off your own schedule for PT, and simultaneously, your diet, your eating, your drinking, etc., during Accelerated, PT is incorporated in the training, and since you won't be doing much of the other, well enough said.

GO ACCELERATED.

Best of Luck and yes, hoorah!

Comment

Working...
      X