X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer or Warrant Officer

Searching for answers on joining the TX National Guard. I am 42 yrs old, with prior service in the Marine Corps, and in the MN & ND National Guard. I completed OCS in 1995, but did not have enough college credits for a commission. I was unable to devote sufficient time to the guard due to my civilian career. I moved to TX and changed careers and want to join the guard again to complete my military career. If a commission is not possible due to age restrictions, can I join as a warrant officer?

If you have PS you still might be able to come back as an officer. We had 45 year old 2LTs in BOLC with us...

Comment

[QUOTE=brianviper1]Searching for answers on joining the TX National Guard. I am 42 yrs old, with prior service in the Marine Corps, and in the MN & ND National Guard. I completed OCS in 1995, but did not have enough college credits for a commission. I was unable to devote sufficient time to the guard due to my civilian career. I moved to TX and changed careers and want to join the guard again to complete my military career. If a commission is not possible due to age restrictions, can I join as a warrant officer?[/QUOTE]

If you are otherwise qualified for appointment as a WO, then the history you have described shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Follow up on TX guard

Thank you for your replies, I had a short conversation over the phone with a recruiter, and he had said I would not be able to go in as an officer and since I have been out more than 12 months I would not be able to go in under the 09W program. Do you recall those regulations? I meet with him later this week to discuss options. He had mentioned the try one program and to try for WOCS, being older and wiser, I feel reluctant about that. Respectfully, Brian

Comment

Ask your recruiter to put you in touch with the Warrant Officer Strength Manager for your State. This is the person whose job it is to create WOs, so s/he will know the angles.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]Ask your recruiter to put you in touch with the Warrant Officer Strength Manager for your State. This is the person whose job it is to create WOs, so s/he will know the angles.[/QUOTE]

+1

Dont go to a recruiter for officer questions. You will get 5 different answers from 5 different recruiters. Go to the OSM, he/she will have the answers.

Comment

More Q & A for officer

Again, thank you for the feed back. I just met with a recruiter and we contacted the WOSM and was told OCS was good and that I would have to come in enlisted and get proficient in a MOS (about 2 yrs) and then submit a packet, and if selected could go straight to the basic course. He had also pulled up some info, and it showed that I was in the guard until 2000 and was listed as a 2LT. If this is true, could I come back in as a 2LT and go to Officer basic course? Respectfully, Brian

Comment

[QUOTE=brianviper1]Again, thank you for the feed back. I just met with a recruiter and we contacted the WOSM and was told OCS was good and that I would have to come in enlisted and get proficient in a MOS (about 2 yrs) and then submit a packet, and if selected could go straight to the basic course. He had also pulled up some info, and it showed that I was in the guard until 2000 and was listed as a 2LT. If this is true, could I come back in as a 2LT and go to Officer basic course? Respectfully, Brian[/QUOTE]

Were you commissioned in 2000? If not, then obviously you can't pursue that plan. If you were commissioned, then that's actually worse for you -- newly commissioned officers must complete their initial training (BOLC-II/III) within 42 months of commissioning, or they lose their commission. Based on your previous post, I understood that you completed OCS but did not commission. If that is indeed the case, then you have not run afoul of this law.

Comment

Working...
                X