Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about SMP

Hi

Currently I am a 19 yea rold college freshman in Texas.

I joined the Marine Corps in Dec of 2006, to get injured and discharged 12 weeks later.

After having been through boot, I now know that I should have gone the officer route in the first place (Kept saying I wanted to be enlisted, even though my recruiter called me crazy with my 88 asvab)

So, been looking into ROTC and found out about the SMP program.

I hear if you're in the SMP, you do not have to attend basic or ait. Is this true? Having already gone through the majority of Marine boo camp, not really wanting to do another 10 weeks for the Army, especially since I'm considered GNPS so ineligible for incentives/bonuses.

Also, say if I was to get contracted into the ROTC. When you graduate and commissioned, do you have any secondary officer school, or do you go right to your MOS job training? I know the Corps has OCS, then after OCS you go to the basic school, which is like boot for officers.

And finally, if you were to do something wrong in ROTC and then not be eligible to be commissioned (like fail something), would you then spend the next 8 years as enlisted?

First your recruiter was right you were crazy if you had a high score like that. Second, you want to go to Army ROTC and no you do not have to go to any secondary officer candidate school. You go to to Basic training after graduating.

Comment

SMP has no requirement for Basic and AIT. OCS is a parallel path to commissioning for those for whom ROTC isn't feasible. Post-commissioning training includes at a minimum BOLC-II (common core), and BOLC-III (branch-specific). It's far longer (4-6 months), and significantly different than enlisted basic training and AIT.

An SMP contract is a modified enlistment contract. If you flunk out of ROTC for whatever reason, then you'll go to Basic and AIT, and complete your service obligation in that manner. You may request early separation, but that's not a guarantee.

Be sure to apply for an [URL="http://www.1800goguard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5145"]ARNG ROTC scholarship[/URL].

Comment

I am a 21 year old PFC who just finished IADT for the WIARNG. I am an MOSQ'd 88m. I have a 6x2 enlistment contract with college first. I currently have 64 credits. I have been accepted to a school here in wisconsin, and am weighing the options between OCS, and ROTC. My enlisted recruiter is in the process of putting me in contact with an officer recruiter but I'm not sure when he is going to call and I'm looking for some more information.

He told me that I could go ROTC and get a $300 stipend/mos on top of my gi bill and kicker, plus my drill pay. Also said that I can do SMP also and get up to $10,000/year for housing. Also that state tuition assistance would still be a go. Is all of that accurate? Oh and that being an ROTC Cadet would get me a slot into airborne school....

Any info on my options would be great! Thanks!
        Last edited by JrBiem691; April 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JrBiem691]I am a 21 year old PFC who just finished IADT for the WIARNG. I am an MOSQ'd 88m. I have a 6x2 enlistment contract with college first. I currently have 64 credits. I have been accepted to a school here in wisconsin, and am weighing the options between OCS, and ROTC. My enlisted recruiter is in the process of putting me in contact with an officer recruiter but I'm not sure when he is going to call and I'm looking for some more information.

He told me that I could go ROTC and get a $300 stipend/mos on top of my gi bill and kicker, plus my drill pay. Also said that I can do SMP also and get up to $10,000/year for housing. Also that state tuition assistance would still be a go. Is all of that accurate? Oh and that being an ROTC Cadet would get me a slot into airborne school....

Any info on my options would be great! Thanks![/QUOTE]

I always recommend ROTC if you are eligible.

I have only one concern with what you've written. The housing allowance would be from an ARNG ROTC scholarship, which would preclude the use of Montgomery GI Bill & Kicker (unless you have the active duty GI Bill, which your story leads me to believe you do not). If you can get a GRFD scholarship, you can use the MGIB & Kicker simultaneously, but those aren't as plentiful as the ARNG scholarships (although both allow you to stay in the ARNG after commissioning). Please note that an ROTC scholarship pays [U]either[/U] full tuition & fees or a housing allowance, not both; and no matter what ROTC scholarship you have, you can't draw federal tuition assistance at the same time. I cannot speak for state tuition assistance, since each state varies, but I imagine most of them will have the same restriction. Do not rely on anyone's word for this, firmly but politely demand to see a document that states your eligibility for STA with an ROTC scholarship. Do not take a scholarship other than an ARNG or GRFD, since a campus-based scholarship will force you to give up your SMP position.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info.

As for BOLC-2, I see it's 7 weeks long.

Can it be compared to enlisted boot/basic in that it is stressful, or it is a bit more laid back?

What would the average day be like? Up at 0430, rack by 2100, being yelled at non-stop all the way? Or are the teachers more settled since hey, you're already a soldier?

Watched a video of BOLC-2 on youtube and they all looked pretty laid back, and are even playing beer pong in one part...

Comment

Working...
            X