X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS & PULHES profile question

Curious...haven't heard back from my recruiter yet so figured I'd stick it in here.

Went to MEPS few weeks back, did the entire day, just got disqualified for weight.

I go back this Friday for height/weight check. For some reason I have this memory that on my eye exam, one of my eyes was marked as being correctable to only 20/40, instead of 20/20. I know that for PULHES if your eyes aren't correctable to 20/20 in both, you get a 2 instead of a 1.

I want to enlist as 13F, which requires 111111.

My recruiter originally told me for my first MEPS appt to bring my "eye refrac" from my eye doctor, which I did but the doctor at MEPS said it was the wrong thing and had me do the eye exam.

But I now have a copy of my eye exam from my eye doctor, showing that my near vision is uncorrected 20/25 in both eyes and my distance vision is corrected to 20/20 in both eyes. If I bring this with me on Friday, can my results on my file be changed? Or is "what's done is done" and I'll have to pick a different MOS or wait for some sort of waiver to be processed?

I would take it up there.

If the doc said no you are going to pick a differnet MOS.But I don't think you are going to have any problems.

Comment

[QUOTE=Recruiter yosis]I would take it up there.

If the doc said no you are going to pick a differnet MOS.But I don't think you are going to have any problems.[/QUOTE]

Is there anything official that covers this (I'm sure I'm probably not the first one in the history of MEPS to have this happen)? Or is it basically at the whim of the mood of the MEPS doctor to either accept my optometrist's exam or stick with the 30-second exam results done at MEPS by non-optometrists?

Comment

I know when I originally enlisted in May, I had a Hearing of 3 and they waived it down to a 2.

I don't know if this is a possibility in your situation.

Comment

Take your documentation with you. They may not use it though. PULHES scores must be determined by military doctors. In your case, a visual acuity is something that can be easily done in MEPS and your results should be reproducable.. They may look at your documentation, and then verify with their equipment. Hopefully you will still be 20/20.

Good luck.

Here's the PULHES criteria for those that don't know.

1 - Uncorrected visual acuity 20/200 correctable to 20/ 20, in each eye.

2 - Distant visual acuity correctable to not worse than 20/40 and 20/70, or 20/30 and 20/100, or 20/20 and 20/ 400.

3 - Uncorrected distant visual acuity of any degree that is correctable not less than 20/40 in the better eye.

4 - Visual acuity below the standards of "3."

Steveguard- just a clarification for others.... H3's don't get changed to H2's by a waiver. You will always be an H3. The waiver simply let's you carry a MOS or deploy "like" you are an H2. Throughout your Guard career, you will be asked to get audio evals, SPRINT testing, and possible MMRBs (to reevaluate your status) but your medical record and the hearing computer repository will have you listed clearly as an H3.

It's no biggie though, just more hoops to jump through.

Comment

Yeah RN said it. MEPS goes off these regs:

USMEPCOM Reg 601-6
            Army Regulation 40-501

Comment

[QUOTE=QuantumRN]It's no biggie though, just more hoops to jump through.[/QUOTE]

Joy :).

Well, the good news is when I transfered from the Air Guard -> Army Guard, I scored a H2 when I went to MEPS. So I am very happy about less "Hoops" as it were.

But thats good info to know none the less, the little stuff...

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveGuard]Joy :).

Well, the good news is when I transfered from the Air Guard -> Army Guard, I scored a H2 when I went to MEPS. So I am very happy about less "Hoops" as it were.

But thats good info to know none the less, the little stuff...[/QUOTE]

If that's the case than you are an actual H2. What did you need the waiver for?

Comment

My original enlistment was with the Air Guard, where I got an H3.

I transferred to the Army Guard, recently, and the Airforce "lost" my records. So I had to go to MEPS again.

When I joined the Air Force, they gave me the waiver down to the H2.

Comment

Recruiter finally called me back, said to bring the paperwork and I should be good to go.

But if worse comes to worse, I can go to my second choice of 19D since they allow a 2 in the eyes section of PULHES.

On a positive note, my MEPS date has been moved up to tomorrow (they decided they didn't want to process one person on Friday) so wish me luck! Maybe this time they won't measure me even shorter... :)

Comment

Working...
                    X