X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10lbs in 1 week

need some suggestions in losing 10 lbs in a week.
    Currently:
    Eating 4-5 times a day in small quantities( I use my smallest plates)
    low carbs, high protein, low fat, fruits and veggies, yogurts, cottage cheese, oatmeal, salads
    try to eat no later than 4-5pm to increase metabolism even more

workouts: 5-6 days a week
    3/5 mile ruck marches with 30 lbs on back per week
    jog 5, 3 minute segments 2 days a week + walking ( I am building on this)
    4/25 pushups
    4/25 crunches
    4/15 leg raises
    4/25 jumping jacks
    some shinkendo practice for mid body muscle building, core

have been actively working out well for 4-5 weeks now. I am 5'10" and 243lbs. I have already lost 15lbs. I go to MEPS on the 28th of Dec. I taped up at recruiters office and am 1/2 size or 1 size to big around waste. They say I am 29% body fat which is crap. I am an ex-athlete who has not lost much muscle mass. I dont think this test is accurate. But I have to adhere to it. Anyway some suggestions on streamlining my diet or increasing or adjusting my workouts would be helpful as I am trying to make the tape so I can keep on going. Took my asvab today. MEPS is all thats left and I dont want to be denied over a couple of lbs. I can work on decreasing my weight and increasing my workouts further after that. My whole point being overweight was to start slow to avoid serious injury and the like. I may be beyond that stage. Not sure though. Thanks for the help.

Well you do more PT than me and I am active duty lol.

Comment

Four suggestions:

1. If you drink any sort of soda, or diet soda, STOP. Now. Don't even look at them. Throw them away. Water is your friend, as is milk. No fruit juice, too much sugar.

2. Cut out the sodium. Cut out the salts. In everything. No salt. Use pepper for seasoning, it is sodium-free. Sodium causes water retention in the body.

3. When are you working out? Work out in the mornings. Working out in the morning burns fat because your body is forced to burn fat to provide fuel during a workout because it has not consumed any food yet. Working out in the evenings is excellent for building lean muscle, which is great to do after you have lost body fat, as lean muscle will prevent body fat from re-forming.

4. Start this about 4 days before weigh-in. DO NOT DO THIS FOR MORE THAN 7 DAYS. This is only a very temporary item, and not something to ever be done long-term. Buy water pills. You can find them in the supplements section at the grocery store. These will cause your body to shed its water weight. You will have to pee a lot. A LOT. Make sure you consume at least 64 oz of water a day while taking water pills. Depending on the individual person, you can lose several pounds by dropping water weight.

Comment

[QUOTE=Livingit36]need some suggestions in losing 10 lbs in a week.
        Currently:
        Eating 4-5 times a day in small quantities( I use my smallest plates)
        low carbs, high protein, low fat, fruits and veggies, yogurts, cottage cheese, oatmeal, salads
        try to eat no later than 4-5pm to increase metabolism even more

workouts: 5-6 days a week
        3/5 mile ruck marches with 30 lbs on back per week
        jog 5, 3 minute segments 2 days a week + walking ( I am building on this)
        4/25 pushups
        4/25 crunches
        4/15 leg raises
        4/25 jumping jacks
        some shinkendo practice for mid body muscle building, core

have been actively working out well for 4-5 weeks now. I am 5'10" and 243lbs. I have already lost 15lbs. I go to MEPS on the 28th of Dec. I taped up at recruiters office and am 1/2 size or 1 size to big around waste. They say I am 29% body fat which is crap. I am an ex-athlete who has not lost much muscle mass. I dont think this test is accurate. But I have to adhere to it. Anyway some suggestions on streamlining my diet or increasing or adjusting my workouts would be helpful as I am trying to make the tape so I can keep on going. Took my asvab today. MEPS is all thats left and I dont want to be denied over a couple of lbs. I can work on decreasing my weight and increasing my workouts further after that. My whole point being overweight was to start slow to avoid serious injury and the like. I may be beyond that stage. Not sure though. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

If you want to lose 10 lbs. in a week, start searching for how wrestlers cut weight. Of course, you'll then have a tough time giving a urine sample.

You can lose 10 lbs. EASILY in TWO weeks the healthy way; you might want to step up your diet/workouts and push back your MEPS date.

Comment

WO1 Quinones...I've been inactive for the last 10 years or so. Not to mention a casual smoker for that time frame. Not anymore though.

Plano 2001... I dont drink soda....well...hardly ever! Water only. I take fiber supplements that are calcium enriched as well. I usually eat a high fiber oatmeal and a fruit for breakfast. Then I go workout. But as of today I am trying to work out 1st then hit the pavement before breakfast. Hopefully this will help increase metabolism and fat burn. I will do my best to lower salt content. I add it to my meals while cooking....not the finished product. Also will concentrate on food low in salt. Thanks. Will consider the water pills though I am not a fan. Everywhere I have ever gotten physically was all natural and I would like to keep it that way.

I am trying to get to meps asap so I can ship out to Iraq with my unit come end of May. I am in Oregon. The sooner this is done the sooner I can start BCT. In the meantime I will step up my cardio to two times a day if I can muster it. I am sure I can. Tuff conditions in the Northwest now though. Been avoiding running due to ice and snow. Just been marching. Did a march this morning in pouring rain and ice. Was rather fun. Thank you.
          Last edited by Livingit36; December 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You're already taking fiber supplements - drop the oatmeal and fruit thing for breakfast. Switch to something high protein - eggs are your friends! :)

Glad you don't drink the soda, that was the hardest thing for me to change in my diet. Stop cooking with salt. Cooking with salt or adding salt to your cooked food makes no real difference - it is all sodium. We all crave salt - hence the prevalence of McDonald's french fries in society (I miss those sooooo much.....). Oh, forgot to mention - if you eat bread/pasta, switch to whole wheat. Your body needs carbs for fuel. However, your body does NOT need simple carbs. It needs complex carbs. Whole wheat pastas. Whole wheat breads. Not lots of it (unless you're a high-endurance athlete).

Here's my favorite pasta recipe:
            Whole wheat pasta
            Extra virgin olive oil
            Sundried tomatoes
            Mushrooms
            Zucchini
            Yellow squash
            Minced garlic (you can buy a jar of it)
            Pepper
            Red pepper flakes (like what you put on a pizza)

1. Slice mushrooms (or buy pre-sliced, much easier). Chop sundried tomatoes, zucchini, squash. Mix all together in bowl.

2. Heat about 2 tblsp of olive oil in skillet on medium heat, add garlic and stir until slightly browned. Add veggie mixture. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Stir-fry until veggies are tender (probably 6-10 min). Remove from heat.

3. Transfer veggies to a bowl, but leave pan juices in skillet.

4. Boil pasta until slightly tender. I like angel hair, takes about 5 minutes. DO NOT ADD SALT TO WATER.

5. Drain pasta. Re-heat skillet with veggie juices. Add about another 1 tblsp olive oil. Once warm, add pasta to skillet, toss until well coated. Add veggie mixture back to pasta and toss until mixed.

6. Season to taste with black pepper.

Yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy. :)

For us, a box of pasta, some slivers of tomato, one zucchini, squash, one package of mushrooms feeds me, my fiance, our 7 year old, our 2 year old, and provides me lunch for the next day at work. Very cheap meal.
            Last edited by plano2001; December 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

With all due respect to the previous recipe...

Your mission until MEPS is not to give your body complex carbohydrate fuel... it's to get it less fat.

While carbs are your body's preferred "fuel," it can just as easily burn "fat" to keep going.

Double your cardio and eat lean white meat and veggies for lunch/dinner. It's that simple.

Comment

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqN6b2Jjz0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqN6b2Jjz0[/URL]

just continue on the path. I know you are eager but do it in moderation. When you get to BCT, the pace will pick up and you will adapt. But its simply physics. Eat less, burn more. You are in your 30s so your metabolism has slowed and I know about eating more to increase it but everybody's body is different.

There will be enough battles in the years to come.

Comment

Diet

if this comes out good, I will post it in its own section.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/DIET.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

You want to lose 10lbs in a week? It's not that hard, you just need to suck up feeling rotten for the next week.

What I am about to suggest is not a sustainable way to lose weight and is not very health, but it will get you through MEPS so you can work on it sustainably.

Here it is: Weigh yourself accurately with a doctor's office type scale. Begin purging your digestive tract of all its contents. Basically this means only sheitiing and very little eating. This should get rid of a few pound. Eat very little from now until weigh in and monitor your weight. DO A TON OF CARDIO with lots of layers on so that you will sweat profusely. This means a couple of hours. Weigh yourself before and after these workouts. Taper off your water intake more and more until weigh in. By T minus 2 days, if you are not within 1 to 2 pounds of your goal weight, no more water. You will become very thirsty. Wet your mouth and spit it back out or chew gum. It will also be hard to sleep being so hungry and thirsty, but you just have to get through this one time. Weigh yourself the day before weigh in. If you are not where you need to be, get to a sauna or work out more until you are at weight. Then go to bed. You usually lose 1/2 lb in your sleep. Weigh yourself in the morning. You should be good. If you are under, you can even drink a few ounces.

I've done this and seen it done a million times.

P.S. when you do drink water, try to only drink distilled water. you want to purge a lot of salt from your system as well.

Comment

What is sheitiing? sounds german. Man, only AFN to watch over here.

Comment

Okay. My opinion will surely cause controversy but here goes:

1) This thread should be deleted in it's entirety as the intention and advice given are unsafe and unheathy.

2) 10 pounds is not the magic number. At your weight and height, you WILL get taped and there is no guarantee that 10 pounds will help one bit.

3) Your ship date is determined by MEPS and there is no guarantee that you will get a date that will have you MOSQed by your units MOB date.

4) Even if you decide to shed water weight and go thirsty and practically dehydrate yourself, I can guarantee the following: a) your heartrate will increase dramatically, likely over 100, (which is a DQ) and will also prevent you from doing the ARMS test (if eligible to you) b) you're urine sample WILL have increased specific gravity a result of dehydration (a DQ) and will probably have ketones in it (another DQ) from not eating enough carbohydrates c) dehydration will impact your motor skills and balance possibly DQing you in the ortho room during the lovely underwear olympics.

IMO, it is not worth it. You have to live with the consequences of your actions, and being sedentary and smoking for the last 10 years surely got you in this predicament. Learn from your mistakes and do it the right way. Push back your MEPS date and if you are meant to deploy with your unit, it will happen. If not, other opportunities will arise and you can be confident in knowing that you did not rush your training or your readiness. The Army deserves the best you have and nothing less!

Hooah!

Comment

it's not like he just found out he had to lose the weight? lol

pay to play...

Comment

[QUOTE=LT_77]it's not like he just found out he had to lose the weight? lol

pay to play...[/QUOTE]
                            Exactly!!! ;)

Comment

Touche QuantumRN,

I had not considered all the other factors. Good call. Cutting weight works for wrestling, but no one is looking at your blood pressure. Maybe they should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X