X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airborne

I'm going in as 11B and have a question about airborne. Do i request it be for or after entering basic for 11B. Also if i do after basic, do i wait until after AIT for 11B? How long is airborne training?

I would ask the recruiter if i could get him to ever return my calls. I might barge into his office when i get a day off.

Thanks

In order to get airborne in the guard, you have to enlist into an airborne unit, and get it into yourcontract. you cannot just sign up for it at AIT.

Comment

That is not entirely correct, While yes if you have airborne in your contract you get a spot held for you, But you can also earn it in basic I have seen it done. Two guys that i was in basic with got Airborne offered to them by our DS.
      I know for a fact they did not have it in there contract

Comment

[QUOTE=budgie123]That is not entirely correct, While yes if you have airborne in your contract you get a spot held for you, But you can also earn it in basic I have seen it done. Two guys that i was in basic with got Airborne offered to them by our DS.
        I know for a fact they did not have it in there contract[/QUOTE]

I saw that happen also, but the ones that took the 'offer' were all active duty, are you sure that wasnt the case?

Comment

Yes im positive, my entire platoon was NG.

Comment

[QUOTE=budgie123]Yes im positive, my entire platoon was NG.[/QUOTE]

I believe you, but it seems those NG personnel would have to have received a thumbs-up from their respective states first, considering those states, I believe, flip the bill for the school.

The best way is to get everything you want in your contract. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to get Airborne after OSUT. After all, the worst they can say is no.

Comment

It wont make a difference in my future one way or another, but now i'm curious about that too. Many mornings during Ait formation for PT they were asking for Airbourne volunteers and like I said, only a few active duty (AD) soldiers went for it. But they never did specify it HAD to be AD. Now it makes me wonder if National Guard Soldiers would have been allowed. I wasnt questioning you either, I was just making sure it was NG that you saw do it because quite a long time ago I posted the same thing and then remembered they were all AD. While being asked I made the decision not to pursue it because all the running done during that school scared me. lol

Comment

I'm not sure what state you are from or if you have a unit that is currently on jump status, but I spent 4 years with the 82nd ABN and I had Airborne as a part of my contract. I knew of and still know a lot of guys that were told by there recruiter that there was not an Airborne slot available and were told that they could apply while they were in BCT/AIT. Well those same guys are still trying to get a slot. All I'm saying is to get it on your contract if you truly want to go to BAC (Airborne School) because the odds of you getting it if it is not in your contract is not good. Especially if you are NG, those slots are ususally reserved for AD guys and they have a hard time getting them as well. Here is a link to an Airborne website that I belong to, there are a lot of guys over there that know a lot of people that could possibly help you if you are serious about going to BAC. Just make sure that if you do go on the site, that you follow protocol and follow the proper precedures and post an intro. Also make sure you read the rules as well. There are a lot of Paratroopers, Rangers and SOF guys over there and they will eat you alive if you post outside of SOP. Make sure you register and select an avatar as well.

[url]http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/forums.php[/url]
                Last edited by Gator 82; July 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM.

Comment

By no means am i suggesting not to get airborne in writing. If that is truly what you want to do then get it in your contract. But i can tell you you do have a very slim shot if you dont have it. i think out of our whole company 4-5 guys got airborne offered to them and I know two of them where NG and did not have it in there contract. one of them was "Soldier of the cycle" so hopefully that gives you an idea of what your up against down there.
                  Pt your butt off and good luck.....

Comment

Oh i forgot the state does send you and does pick up the tab but if you look at your orders when you ship you are handed off to the army for however long they deem nessary. if you get hurt or recycled they can kep you there

Comment

When I was at Benning (graduated May 2007) the Guard liason told us there were slots available through NGB for NG soldiers who did well at infantry OSUT. You had to score 270 with 90's across the board on the APFT & get recommended by your drill sergeants. I was on track with a 270 at the end of the basic portion (not 90's across though), but I got a bad staph infection in the AIT portion which took away my chance to do my final PT test in AIT. Plus it was so bad it killed my desire to be at Benning for any longer.
                      I have been told I may have a shot to go to Airborne school when I get back from Iraq, but I will be 37 years old, so it may be tough. Of course, if I can get through infantry OSUT at 34, I know I can make it.
                      I don't know if those oppurtunities through NGB are available now though. I am sure it was a function of budgeting.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and help. My uncle spent 23 year in active army through airborne. I don't get along with him, but i pretty much been on my own so its a family thing. So talking to him about it is out of the question cause i don't care to speak to him. I have not done a contract yet as I'm still waiting for recruiter to contact me with test date (2 weeks waiting).. If its limited a lot to active duty then I'll strongly considerer active and not NG. Any one know what you have to score on the test to get considered for airborne?

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: quote [url]http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/showthread.php?t=3212[/url] " B. BASIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: REGULAR ARMY/ARMY RESERVES"
                        Last edited by Thomas; July 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM.

Comment

the National Guard has the Active First program. Ask your recruiter about it :D

Comment

[QUOTE=budgie123]Yes im positive, my entire platoon was NG.[/QUOTE]There are two types of MOS.......... 11b's and 11 wanna-bees

Hey..HEY..HEY YOU NEVER...NEVER...NEVER forget about the COOKS!!!!!!!!:mad:

Comment

sorry i forgot you have to give it up to the crossed spoons

Comment

Working...
                              X