Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J Unit: Calm down. Don't make life harder that it already is. Thank the good Lord you'll be able to make phone calls every now and what!!

My experience, I went to Parris Island, SC. USMC Boot Camp, no rose garden. I had my girlfriend as you did, just out of High School. We wrote to each other every single day, and I mean every single day. Your first week was slow, but after that, letters just came in on a regular basis. We had no phone privileges. Some of us got to make one phone call during the whole training and that was during the rifle range phase, entering the 3rd month, and just for those who had qualified as Expert Riflemen. Just us. The rest of the platoon had to wait until graduation to talk to their families. That phone call, on or about 10:00 at night. During our own sleep time.

It was F*&$%^ difficult to be away from her, rest assured I lost her when I came back, for the simplest and stupidest reason, I stopped writing. Now, 18 years after, I still regret it.

My personal advise, don't. Let her know how important she is to you, and how much you need her during training, and that you are coming back to her, ask her to wait for you.

Being away, BT, AIT, Deployment, Tour or whatever, the mission must the most important thing in your mind, but the drive that keeps you fighting for that mission, doesn't have to be the mission alone.

Best of Luck.
    Last edited by Javier Lopez; May 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Like some have said before, it all depends where your training is at, your company and the DS that you have. My fiance also went to Ft Leonard Wood and as soon as he got there they took his cell phone and he didn't get it back until a day or 2 before graduation. He was only allowed to make calls on pay phones, but that meant that he had to wait in a long line to use it and once he got to use it the call would usually only last about 10 minutes, 20 if you're lucky. Those calls were usually on Sundays or whenever they had a pass, but that wasn't like every week, maybe every other week. That was if the DS was in a good mood or if someone in the company didn't mess up. Just be prepared to no to talk to your GF as much as you usually would. You should get accustomed to writing letters because you'll be writing more than talking. What some has said about the mail not coming every night is true. Sometimes you get a bunch one day and nothing the next day. @ Ft Leonard Wood, it depended on how often they would go to pick up the mail. My fiance said that sometimes they wouldn't go to get it. Weather was also another factor. The roads would be so icy that only the DS were allowed to drive on it. And yes, you are allowed to bring pictures. Your GF is also allowed to send pictures. You most definitely wouldn't be able to wear that ring. I'm pretty sure that they're going to take that too. My advice to you is to just write her as much as you can. Writing letters to her will help you with missing her and when you do get phone calls make them worth it. Don't fight with her, just tell her how much you miss her and love her. My fiance and I survived through it and honestly, it wasn't as bad as WE thought it would be. The letters helped a lot, getting and writing letters really made it a little easier for us to be apart from each other. I hope this helps and I hope everything works out for you. HANG IN THERE!!

Comment

Talking about surviving a few months of bootcamp? Try a deployment......

Comment

Wow thanks guys, I didn't think I'd get this much response and tips about it. Me and her have talked it over and I even had her read a lot of your responses so she can see how its going to be like for herself because she thought I was exaggerating on a lot of things. Sucks that I cant wear the ring on a chain, you guys really don't think mailing it to me would work? And at least I can bring the pictures, that will help a lot. I'm assuming most people just write everyones phone numbers and addresses they're planning on trying to contact on paper and bringing it, I couldn't imagine a list of addresses being taken away. Also I noticed everyone talks about Benning, Lennor, etc. I'm actually going to Fort Sill, anyone have info about that place because nobody seems to talk about it. And another thing I was wondering is do you have access to newspapers in basic at all on Sundays? And when you get to AIT do you get to use phones on a daily basis? Thanks again guys! Trying to learn as much as I can to get prepared, I leave May 21st!

Comment

A trick I was taught about writing everyone's address down was to buy 3X5 notecards and address them and put a stamp on them. When you get to boot, they will give you your address. Then all you have to do is flip that card over, write your address on there with a note that says please write and there you have it, your own postcards. This prevents you from writing a bunch of people who aren't going to write you back.

Comment

Something we did once we got the address was send our son a couple of sheets of the peel and stick address labels, sent along a sheet with our address on it. That way he didn't have to anything but peel and stick. Saved him several minutes a night, something you will appreciate once you start.

Comment

Oh good idea! My boyfriend gave me an address label sheet from a print out on his computer before I left. I laughed, like i'd need THAT many. Joke was on me, I used all but two of them. I think it was because I had just moved into his house a few days before leaving for training and he was worried i'd forget the address! That or its cuz he is enlisted and knew i'd want them. :)
                Then Dad gave me a laminated little paper with their, my brother, my sister, and a few aunts and uncles of mine addresses I might want to write while away. It came in handy (lots of recent moves in the family) until I accidently included it in a letter I wrote to my boyfriend. Then thankfully I had written them down somewhere else and kept all the letters i'd received so I could get them off the envolopes too.

Comment

Eaton that notecard trick is actually really smart, thats what im going to do also. And I like the idea of the address sheets, ill do that to my girlfriends house.

Comment

[QUOTE=s12eaton]A trick I was taught about writing everyone's address down was to buy 3X5 notecards and address them and put a stamp on them. When you get to boot, they will give you your address. Then all you have to do is flip that card over, write your address on there with a note that says please write and there you have it, your own postcards. This prevents you from writing a bunch of people who aren't going to write you back.[/QUOTE]

The US Post Office also sells [URL="http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=15602&productId=37551&langId=-1"]pre-stamped postcards[/URL] which you may use for this purpose. Ideally, you'll already have the addresses written on them before you ship.

Comment

Can you also get the address label stickers from the post office?

Comment

Through all of basic training we wore neck wallets that we called man purses. i kept a picture of me and my girlfriend in it to help motivate me when i needed it. Letters will mean more then you could ever know, and actually now that i am back from training i miss the letters. Mail was everyday for my platoon, but we got about 15 minutes worth of phone calls through the entire basic training, that includes reception. You and your girlfriend will be ok. If its meant to be it will be.

My girlfriend was my biggest supporter during my training and she helped to motivate me to get through it all. Just remember that this is only temporary and that you have to be focused on your goal of graduating all your training and becoming a soldier.

you can print address labels off of your computer.

Comment

just let it go

Opinions are just like A**holes. Always remember there are more fish in the sea and now that you will be wearing the green suit; the world is yours!

Comment

[QUOTE=louis.quinones]Opinions are just like A**holes. Always remember there are more fish in the sea and now that you will be wearing the green suit; the world is yours![/QUOTE]

Thought it was "excuses are like a**holes, everyones got one"

you really love brining old threads back to life don't you?

Comment

Working...
                            X