X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve recruiter sounds off on Guard

I was in a mall today and a guy stopped me and asked if I was in the military. I told him I was in the Air Force and am now trying to get into the Army National Guard. I asked if he was in the military. He flashed me his ID and said he's a recruiter. He asked me why the Guard and not Reserves? I told him I originally was trying to get into the Reserves but since I had problems with that recruiter I changed to the Guard. He asked me who the recruiter from the Reserves was and I told him. He told me that recruiter from the Reserves I was working with doesn't know anything about the Reserves and no wonder I left him. He asked if I ever planned on getting out of Ohio (don't know if he was about to go on a rant like I've heard other Reserve recruiters say that once your in the Guard it's hard to go active, or change states).

He asked what MOS I wanted. I told him 68W with M6. He then told me that you can only get M6 if your grades are good enough in 68W school. If they are not good enough they won't send you to M6 training. He then told me that the Reserves is better for medical MOS's. He explained to me that the Reserves have better bases, units, and that since they are federally funded they never have to worry about not having money for new equipment or anything. He said that if I was going to pick a non-medical MOS he would tell me the Guard is better, but since I wanted a medical MOS, the Reserves are better. He told me that in the Guard 68W's are just combat medics and that they don't perform any other duties than that.

After all that he asked me if I ever seen the show "Deal or No Deal". I told him yes. He said going in the Guard is like taking the $100,000 case of money, when you could have won the $1,000,000 case of money, that I wouldn't be getting the best deal. He told me that his brother went to 68W and M6 training and is now in college to be an RN (which is what I wanna do). I don't know if that was BS or the truth but that's besides the point. Anyways he gave me his card and said if I changed my mind to give him a call.

Being the type of person I am I would like to hear the comments of Guard recruiters and other people that want to chime in on this topic to maybe clear up some of the smoke this guy could have been throwing at me.

Ummmm...... we are get federal funds to get our equipment, it's not state funded. But when I was activated the state threw all kinds of money at us, we had all the best extra equipment (sure fire lights with IR filters) not a single active or reserve had them that didn't come out of thier pockets.

I have spoken with you alot, you tell me, which "side" has been telling you the truth the whole time?

case closed

Comment

[QUOTE=SGT Peter Bridge]Ummmm...... we are get federal funds to get our equipment, it's not state funded. But when I was activated the state threw all kinds of money at us, we had all the best extra equipment (sure fire lights with IR filters) not a single active or reserve had them that didn't come out of thier pockets.

I have spoken with you alot, you tell me, which "side" has been telling you the truth the whole time?

case closed[/QUOTE]

I know that the Guard is also federally funded but I didn't say anything cause I didn't feel like arguing. The Guard has been very helpful to me, compared to the Reserves who wanted me to be AD and seemed like they didn't care what I wanted to do, only what they wanted me to do. Also the Guard forums are great, especially with the recruiters on here who are so helpful, including yourself SGT Bridge. I feel like it's not a rank I'm speaking to but a person who cares and wants whats best. I'm committed to the Guard and don't have any intention of changing my mind.

Comment

i can understand y our concern about not getting a bad deal, but i really think you need to settle for what you think is gonna be best and just stick to it.

as for the whole M6 issue, you can do that job, but you already have been told the pre-reqs for it. and yes you can do that job in the guard, its about finding the unit with the slot in its MTOE.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jmiranda_Cav]i can understand y our concern about not getting a bad deal, but i really think you need to settle for what you think is gonna be best and just stick to it.

as for the whole M6 issue, you can do that job, but you already have been told the pre-reqs for it. and yes you can do that job in the guard, its about finding the unit with the slot in its MTOE.[/QUOTE]

I know the Guard has the job, and I have the ASVAB score for it. What's MTOE? Can't you just go to AIT and everything and then they assign you a base in your state? What pre-regs are you talking about?

Comment

I posted the same tread on another military forum and here's what one responded with so far...

You met a very good salesman.

I don't know anything about Reserves vs. Guard for Medics. I can tell you that for my MOS (21B) I hated being in the reserves and loved being in the Guard. My old reserve unit was filled with people that didn't want to be there, equipment that was busted and outdated, and run by officers and NCOs that had no business being in leadership positions. My Guard unit is the exact opposite. My 1SG runs five miles every morning, takes his AGRs on planning/scouting runs every month to plan the monthly drills several months in advance. I'm deployed with another unit now, but one of the last drills I had back home, we climbed the highest peak on the Appelachian Trail in New Hampshire. While I've been gone, they have done air assault insertions with an infantry unit into a MOUT setup, and they blow up **** all the time for practice.

cliffs: I know nothing about Medics - but my Guard unit > my old Reserve unit x 11ty.

Comment

Here's another response...

Roger that. I initially went Reserve, figuring it would be easier to go active it I really enjoyed it than trying to go active from Guard. What I found in the Reserve unit I was in was poor motivation, a crappy command group, a supply sergeant who truly thought he could get away with an on-paper double issue of field gear, and what I'd consider substandard training. I also wasn't fond of the idea that activation orders could come in for individuals rather than an entire unit. The old "you, you, you, you, pack your stuff, you've been activated" game.

On the Guard side, after I'd dealt with the Reserve guys "losing" my transfer papers - twice - and the CO doing a serious gripe job about me leaving (he actually said within earshot that if I wanted to go Guard, they'd "give him a ham sandwich and a road map and send him on his way". Six months later, that unit was disbanded), I found a tight-knit group of guys who really wanted to be there doing the job. Our gear was older, but it was used more effectively. Everyone from the top down to the newest grunt cared enough to give it 120% every time the suit was put on. And nobody partied like the Guard in those days. I think the parties have been tamed down a little these days, but Guard is still a great way to go.

There's also the benefit on the guard side of having state missions. We had a chemical spill two counties over while I was in, and volunteers were requested to run people into a town in APC's while things were being cleaned up, so they could pick up needed items from their evacuated homes. Out of 25 guys in our platoon, we had 25 volunteers. They had to turn most of us away.

Comment

When I was recruiting for the National Guard, the Army Reserve recruiters were some of my best allies (unintentionally of course). I would encourage my applicants to talk to the USAR first. I had nothing to fear, and nothing to hide.

Because the Guard draws from federal and state funding, a Guardsman will always get better benefits than a USAR Soldier. You'll get more or less depending on your state, but you'll always get more.

Additionally, the Guard has a greater variety of jobs, and is more of a fully-functional force than the USAR. The USAR has only three combat units in the entire nation (two Apache battalions and a single infantry battalion).

Unless you desperately want a certain low-density MOS that the Guard doesn't have in your area, I don't know of any big advantages that the USAR has over the Guard.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]When I was recruiting for the National Guard, the Army Reserve recruiters were some of my best allies (unintentionally of course). I would encourage my applicants to talk to the USAR first. I had nothing to fear, and nothing to hide.

Because the Guard draws from federal and state funding, a Guardsman will always get better benefits than a USAR Soldier. You'll get more or less depending on your state, but you'll always get more.

Additionally, the Guard has a greater variety of jobs, and is more of a fully-functional force than the USAR. The USAR has only three combat units in the entire nation (two Apache battalions and a single infantry battalion).

Unless you desperately want a certain low-density MOS that the Guard doesn't have in your area, I don't know of any big advantages that the USAR has over the Guard.[/QUOTE]

The thing I don't understand is why the USAR I've met are so hostile towards the Guard. They all have negative things to say about it, but the proof is in the pudding. Just look at those two posts, people who were in the Reserves and switched to Guard, and they love the Guard! I'm so glad I dropped the Reserves a long time ago.

The Guard has so many options that the Reserves don't, like try one, college first, and active first. The only thing I know the Reserves might have over the Guard is their ECS program which is kind of like college first but in some ways better since it's available to prior service, unlike college first. The only downfall is not all MOS's qualify for ECS. I can't see picking one mission over having a dual mission.
                  Last edited by SuperMaWiiOH; March 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperMaWiiOH]I was in a mall today and a guy stopped me and asked if I was in the military. I told him I was in the Air Force and am now trying to get into the Army National Guard. I asked if he was in the military. He flashed me his ID and said he's a recruiter. He asked me why the Guard and not Reserves? I told him I originally was trying to get into the Reserves but since I had problems with that recruiter I changed to the Guard. He asked me who the recruiter from the Reserves was and I told him. He told me that recruiter from the Reserves I was working with doesn't know anything about the Reserves and no wonder I left him. He asked if I ever planned on getting out of Ohio (don't know if he was about to go on a rant like I've heard other Reserve recruiters say that once your in the Guard it's hard to go active, or change states).

He asked what MOS I wanted. I told him 68W with M6. He then told me that you can only get M6 if your grades are good enough in 68W school. If they are not good enough they won't send you to M6 training. He then told me that the Reserves is better for medical MOS's. He explained to me that the Reserves have better bases, units, and that since they are federally funded they never have to worry about not having money for new equipment or anything. He said that if I was going to pick a non-medical MOS he would tell me the Guard is better, but since I wanted a medical MOS, the Reserves are better. He told me that in the Guard 68W's are just combat medics and that they don't perform any other duties than that.

After all that he asked me if I ever seen the show "Deal or No Deal". I told him yes. He said going in the Guard is like taking the $100,000 case of money, when you could have won the $1,000,000 case of money, that I wouldn't be getting the best deal. He told me that his brother went to 68W and M6 training and is now in college to be an RN (which is what I wanna do). I don't know if that was BS or the truth but that's besides the point. Anyways he gave me his card and said if I changed my mind to give him a call.

Being the type of person I am I would like to hear the comments of Guard recruiters and other people that want to chime in on this topic to maybe clear up some of the smoke this guy could have been throwing at me.[/QUOTE]

Hey uh... Let me tell ya something...

68Whiskeys are exactly the same in both Guard, and Reserve... It all depends on unit you're assigned to...

And FYI... ALL 68Whiskeys are COMBAT MEDICS! Hate to break it to yeah... They are all trianed EMT-Bs after AIT...

but ALL of them can go through M6 etc. etc...

Even "line medics"...

When you're in AIT... Bust your butt and volunteer for it...

I know several Guard Medics who have M6 and P9 identifiers... If you're willing to take up more responsibility, the Guard will give it to you...

And FYI... I find it highly doubtful that the Reserve Recruiter even knows the one you were talking about...

Because not all recruiters work together in the same areas etc. etc...

And Guard IS federally funded etc. etc...

Guard even promotes faster than the Reserves... (Because the ARNG is larger)

Reserves, they can move you ANYWHERE a detatchment of your unit is in...

aka... If you're an 88Mike (for example) in a Transportation Company in lets say a location in Washington... If another component of the overall unit (entire brigade) is in another area... They can move you there... Across the U.S... It's what happened to one of my buds... He went from Washington to New Mexico, becaues after he got promoted... A unit in New Mexico needed na NCO with his MOS... And he was first to be moved to there...

Guard on the other hand, if anything... You'd only be moved around State (IF that...) National Guard is state based... They wont move you to another state unless you wish to recieve an Interstate Transfer...

and FYI...

Guard, Reserve, and Active Duty components are all fluid...

Difficulty in transfering back and fourth between them are exactly the same...

I know of guys who've gone back and fourth even between the Reserves and Guard... (because of moving job locations etc... and what units were closest...)

They ALL go through the EXACT same process/EXACT same reqs...

You fill out a conditional release form, and then get your C/O to approve it... And then if he/she does, you're good to go...

The recruiter lacks knowledge he could have found just by making a simple phone call to USAREC in Ft. Knox Kentucky regarding it...

All components of the Army are Fluid... Why? Because the National Guard, Reserve, and Active Duty are all components of the OVERALL Army...

The Reserve recruiter lacks great amounts of knowledge regarding the Army National Guard... Personal research would be his/her best choice to make right now...

ARNG depending on state has the exact same if not BETTER benefits compared to the Reserve (depending on what state you're in, or it may be the same)

Because ARNG (check with your state) has specific preferences regarding MANY state programs and institutions... And employment capabilities for civilian side... And as well as other benefits to top onto federal...

Like for example... some State National Guards give you tax exclusions, others give you double, even triple college set up... It all veries by state... But no matter what benefits are exactly the same... If not BETTER...

Check with your individual states benefits etc... And then check Reserve benefits etc...

And then mount state benefits on top of Reserve Benefits... (State and Federal benefits you get in the Guard... depending on State...)

And also check what kind of Guard Employment is available...

For example... You can get a job as a federal state employee by joining the Guard, and becoming one of your units Training Technicians, and make 40-50K per year for it, and that is your civilian job... (What you do for your civilian occupation) and you get Federal Employments benefits... And your ARNG Benenfits... etc. etc...

You personally should do some personal research, and make an INFORMED dicision on your own, your goals, everything...

And then choose if you want Reserve or Guard... Talk to both Guard, and Reserve recruiters...

etc. etc....

And another thing, is Guard, you don't just get to go to Army Schools, you can also go to State Schools, some Gaurdsmen (because they're Army National Guard, and the Guards State Mission, which Reserves don't get...)

are trained Firefighters, Policemen, Search and Rescue, etc. etc... Because the state sends them to those kinds of schools for their state mission... (I.e. Some California Guardsmen, are trained fire fighters, a lot of them were sent to Firefighting schools to train them to deal with wild, and demestic fires... etc. etc...)

Unlike the Reserves, Regular Army Guardsmen don't just get to attend Army Schools, again, they also get to attend State Sponsored Schools (all free training for you... and just more for you promotion packet, because they are all college credits... and that means just more promotion points, and you become a better trained Soldier...)

Whatever dicision you make, you'll still serve your country... but really, weigh what each has to offer, and decide for yourself what you wish to have...

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperMaWiiOH]The thing I don't understand is why the USAR I've met are so hostile towards the Guard. They all have negative things to say about it, but the proof is in the pudding. Just look at those two posts, people who were in the Reserves and switched to Guard, and they love the Guard! I'm so glad I dropped the Reserves a long time ago.

[B]Because they want you to join the Reserves... They want you to join their orgenization... And yes, this hostility is very common amongst Active Duty, and Reserve Recruiters... [/B]

The Guard has so many options that the Reserves don't, like try one, college first, and active first. The only thing I know the Reserves might have over the Guard is their ECS program which is kind of like college first but in some ways better since it's available to prior service, unlike college first. The only downfall is not all MOS's qualify for ECS. I can't see picking one mission over having a dual mission.

[B]
                      And one thing about ECS, a friend of mine as a matter of fact enlisted into it... And yeah... It doesn't work all that great... there are a LOT of "little writings" in it... And a LOT of little "sub-paragraphs" in it... The two years you're set up, you can still be deployed... (how do I know this? My friends being deployed to Afghanistan next January) It is void if you're in an "Mission Essential Unit"... He's in a Transportation Unit (same as my other friend who's now in New Mexico...) and his Transportation Unit is deemed "Mission Essential" for taking over an area for another Transportation unit coming home... ECS has a LOT of backdoors to it... But overall, they will make sure DURING YOUR FULL ENLISTMENT TIME FRAME you atleast get 2 years of schooling in (based on credit, not actual TIME... Ie. if you get a full years worth of college credit, in 3 months for example (which if you're reallyt hat good of a student it's possible) one year of the ECS is cut off... If you get two years worth of college credits while under the program... in less then a year... your ECS is done with, you've got two years of college... Again, there are a LOT of back doors to this ECS thing... And only reason why it even exists is for competition with the Army National Guard, after it came out with the original College First Option (which is where they can't deploy you period, and isn't based off of college credits earned) the program first...[/QUOTE][/B]

Last edited by Draco771; March 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

I know there is competition, but I've never seen it as bad as I have with the Army. The Air Force from my encounters don't trash talk their components. All I've seen the Reserves say is don't join the Guard, go with them, which of course I'd never do that. The Guard seems to have great people, happy people. I never heard anyone complain about the Guard, only Reserves.

Comment

[QUOTE=Draco771]Hey uh... Let me tell ya something...

68Whiskeys are exactly the same in both Guard, and Reserve... It all depends on unit you're assigned to...

[B][I]Yes it does all depend. It's just like the stories I posted from prior USAR soldiers who are in ARNG now.[/I][/B]

And FYI... ALL 68Whiskeys are COMBAT MEDICS! Hate to break it to yeah... They are all trianed EMT-Bs after AIT...

[B][I]This is true also, but the recruiter was trying to say that in the Guard you only perform combat medic duties, nothing else.[/I][/B]

but ALL of them can go through M6 etc. etc...

Even "line medics"...

When you're in AIT... Bust your butt and volunteer for it...

I know several Guard Medics who have M6 and P9 identifiers... If you're willing to take up more responsibility, the Guard will give it to you...

And FYI... I find it highly doubtful that the Reserve Recruiter even knows the one you were talking about...

[B][I]He knows who it was because I told him his first name and he said his last name right away. He also named several other recruiters at that station. It's funny how quick he was to bash a fellow recruiter.[/I][/B]

Because not all recruiters work together in the same areas etc. etc...

And Guard IS federally funded etc. etc...

[B][I]This USAR recruiter seems to think otherwise. According to him the Guard is only state funded. Lies...[/I][/B]

Guard even promotes faster than the Reserves... (Because the ARNG is larger)

Reserves, they can move you ANYWHERE a detatchment of your unit is in...

aka... If you're an 88Mike (for example) in a Transportation Company in lets say a location in Washington... If another component of the overall unit (entire brigade) is in another area... They can move you there... Across the U.S... It's what happened to one of my buds... He went from Washington to New Mexico, becaues after he got promoted... A unit in New Mexico needed na NCO with his MOS... And he was first to be moved to there...

Guard on the other hand, if anything... You'd only be moved around State (IF that...) National Guard is state based... They wont move you to another state unless you wish to recieve an Interstate Transfer...

and FYI...

Guard, Reserve, and Active Duty components are all fluid...

[B][I]They may be components that are supposed to work together for a total force, but they sure don't act like it.[/I][/B]

Difficulty in transfering back and fourth between them are exactly the same...

I know of guys who've gone back and fourth even between the Reserves and Guard... (because of moving job locations etc... and what units were closest...)

They ALL go through the EXACT same process/EXACT same reqs...

You fill out a conditional release form, and then get your C/O to approve it... And then if he/she does, you're good to go...

The recruiter lacks knowledge he could have found just by making a simple phone call to USAREC in Ft. Knox Kentucky regarding it...

All components of the Army are Fluid... Why? Because the National Guard, Reserve, and Active Duty are all components of the OVERALL Army...

The Reserve recruiter lacks great amounts of knowledge regarding the Army National Guard... Personal research would be his/her best choice to make right now...

[B][I]This is very true. He must think I'm an idiot and don't do research on my own. I want the best deal, and the best is the ARNG.[/I][/B]

ARNG depending on state has the exact same if not BETTER benefits compared to the Reserve (depending on what state you're in, or it may be the same)

Because ARNG (check with your state) has specific preferences regarding MANY state programs and institutions... And employment capabilities for civilian side... And as well as other benefits to top onto federal...

Like for example... some State National Guards give you tax exclusions, others give you double, even triple college set up... It all veries by state... But no matter what benefits are exactly the same... If not BETTER...

Check with your individual states benefits etc... And then check Reserve benefits etc...

And then mount state benefits on top of Reserve Benefits... (State and Federal benefits you get in the Guard... depending on State...)

And also check what kind of Guard Employment is available...

For example... You can get a job as a federal state employee by joining the Guard, and becoming one of your units Training Technicians, and make 40-50K per year for it, and that is your civilian job... (What you do for your civilian occupation) and you get Federal Employments benefits... And your ARNG Benenfits... etc. etc...

You personally should do some personal research, and make an INFORMED dicision on your own, your goals, everything...

And then choose if you want Reserve or Guard... Talk to both Guard, and Reserve recruiters...

[B][I]I've went to the goarmy.com and 1800goguard.com website time and time again researching and looking up info on each side. I've talked to people from each side. The Guard is a clear winner.[/I][/B]

etc. etc....

And another thing, is Guard, you don't just get to go to Army Schools, you can also go to State Schools, some Gaurdsmen (because they're Army National Guard, and the Guards State Mission, which Reserves don't get...)

are trained Firefighters, Policemen, Search and Rescue, etc. etc... Because the state sends them to those kinds of schools for their state mission... (I.e. Some California Guardsmen, are trained fire fighters, a lot of them were sent to Firefighting schools to train them to deal with wild, and demestic fires... etc. etc...)

Unlike the Reserves, Regular Army Guardsmen don't just get to attend Army Schools, again, they also get to attend State Sponsored Schools (all free training for you... and just more for you promotion packet, because they are all college credits... and that means just more promotion points, and you become a better trained Soldier...)

Whatever dicision you make, you'll still serve your country... but really, weigh what each has to offer, and decide for yourself what you wish to have...[/QUOTE]

Replied to...

Comment

I know this is isnt exactly related to this thread, but what is M6 and P9? I've enlisted as a 68w, and I leave for basic in Sept

Comment

[QUOTE=Soontobedoc]I know this is isnt exactly related to this thread, but what is M6 and P9? I've enlisted as a 68w, and I leave for basic in Sept[/QUOTE]

They are ASI (additional skills identifiers). M6 is LPN, and P9 Biological Sciences Assistant . Requires additional follow on training after completing the 68W course.

Comment

Working...
                              X