X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter Lied/Discharge/AWOL

Okay, my recruiter did some dodgy paperwork so that I could sign up. (I am a dual citizen and therefore not eligible to enlist.) So I was told that it was erroneous enlistment and I would get an entry level separation. How long should this take? I haven't heard anything for weeks. Then somebody from an RSP told my husband that if I didn't ship to BCT (I was supposed to leave in March) I would be considered AWOL and a warrant put out for my arrest.

Somebody please tell me what to do! I don't really want to ask my recruiter and I wouldn't know what to say anyway. Obviously I haven't heard from him since all of this came out.

[QUOTE=ngwife]Okay, my recruiter did some dodgy paperwork so that I could sign up. (I am a dual citizen and therefore not eligible to enlist.) So I was told that it was erroneous enlistment and I would get an entry level separation. How long should this take? I haven't heard anything for weeks. Then somebody from an RSP told my husband that if I didn't ship to BCT (I was supposed to leave in March) I would be considered AWOL and a warrant put out for my arrest.

Somebody please tell me what to do! I don't really want to ask my recruiter and I wouldn't know what to say anyway. Obviously I haven't heard from him since all of this came out.[/QUOTE]

You will be seaperated from the military (discharged) you WILL not be shipping to basic, do not worry about that. They should process the seaperation in a week or so.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Comment

Don't ever put all your faith in the military getting things done for you quick (unless its to get you in of course). It's always good to check up on them frequently for any kind of important paperwork.

Good luck.

Comment

A week...I wish! It has already been a few.

So even though I don't have paperwork yet, I still don't show up to ship, correct? Nobody is going to report me as awol? It was a Master Sergeant who told me I would have an entry level separation, but I haven't heard from him either since the meeting.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

[QUOTE=ngwife]A week...I wish! It has already been a few.

So even though I don't have paperwork yet, I still don't show up to ship, correct? Nobody is going to report me as awol? It was a Master Sergeant who told me I would have an entry level separation, but I haven't heard from him either since the meeting.

Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

Contact that Master SGT and ask for a copy of you NGB 22 or you discharge Memo

Comment

[QUOTE=ngwife]A week...I wish! It has already been a few.

Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

That is why you need to contact THEM!

Comment

This is why you have to be proactive in this. Contact them, do not wait for them to contact you. Cheers

Comment

Promotions, Pay, Backpay, Bonuses, Awards, Schools, Waivers, Letters, etc.

Anything administrative needs to be kept in check by yourself regularly. Its far too easy for that stuff to somehow "get lost." Good idea to document all conversations and keep copies of any paperwork involved.

Just one of those kinks in the military machine that everyone deals with in some form or another.

Comment

If you cant get a hold of anyone and your shipping date comes up, Id just go ahead and ship. Once you get to your destination there will be an oppurtunity to speak up about any issues you may not have revealed yet. Let them know at that time. This way there's fewer things to count against you since technically you did everything you were supposed to unless you lied about the dual citizenship (which doesnt seem to be the case based on your story).

If you have a lawyer, it'd be a good idea to contact him in this matter as well.

There were 2 pieces of advice that my recruiter gave me when I joined the Navy:

1) Make 2 copies of everything, one for keeping at home. The other as a back up at a seperate location so as to reduce the chances of losing it in a fire or other disaster.

The other advice was to never become a recruiter. :rolleyes:

Comment

I would also make a digital copy. I have my entire contract and other paperwork scanned and saved to my computer and on a CD that stays in my safe deposit box.

Comment

[QUOTE=ngwife]Okay, my recruiter did some dodgy paperwork so that I could sign up. (I am a dual citizen and therefore not eligible to enlist.) So I was told that it was erroneous enlistment and I would get an entry level separation. How long should this take? I haven't heard anything for weeks. Then somebody from an RSP told my husband that if I didn't ship to BCT (I was supposed to leave in March) I would be considered AWOL and a warrant put out for my arrest.

Somebody please tell me what to do! I don't really want to ask my recruiter and I wouldn't know what to say anyway. Obviously I haven't heard from him since all of this came out.[/QUOTE]

Hello ngwife,
                      Did you know it was an erroneous enlistment before you signed up?
                      Did you go along with the Recruiter's dodgy paperwork because you wanted to join and changed your mine later?

Your Recruiter should have known better to omitt something from your enlistment.
                      Everyone gets an opportunity to disclose and verify that all information is correct before you enlist.

Keep in contact with the unit to get your paperwork complete and don't worry everything will work out.

Goodluck,
                      Last edited by pablo.vegahernandez; February 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=pablo.vegahernandez]Hello ngwife,
                        [B]Did you know it was an erroneous enlistment before you signed up?
                        Did you go along with the Recruiter's dodgy paperwork because you wanted to join and changed your mine later?[/B]

Your Recruiter should have known better to omitt something from your enlistment.
                        Everyone gets an opportunity to disclose and verify that all information is correct before you enlist.

Keep in contact with the unit to get your paperwork complete and don't worry everything will work out.

Goodluck,[/QUOTE]

Errr...thanks a lot. No, the recruiter did not tell me it was 'erroneous enlistment' before I signed up. When I enlisted, they asked if all of the information on the papers I filled out was correct and I said yes, because it was. I was not the one who then retyped the information into the Guard's records. I actually started off with the Air Guard, but was told that I had to renounce my other citizenship before I could enlist. My Army Guard recruiter had allegedly found out that that wasn't the case for the Army Guard. How could I change my mind? I hadn't even shipped yet.

Anyway...thanks to the others for all of the help. I did finally get my discharge papers.

Comment

You can't enlist with dual citizenship but you can enlist with green card? Confused me. Is it something about MOS you choose?

Comment

never too late

to join the French Foreign Legion. They take dual citizens.

Comment

[QUOTE=flyguy]You can't enlist with dual citizenship but you can enlist with green card? Confused me. Is it something about MOS you choose?[/QUOTE]

I was 09S (officer candidate). No idea about the green card because I don't have one. But you can enlist if your recruiter is willing to do dodgy paperwork...

Comment

Working...
                              X