X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard or Army Reserve???

Just curious if their are any Officer's out there that have spent time in the Army Reserve's as an Offiicer and then moved to the NG? What are the pro's and con's to each branch? Just curious...my Brother-in-Law is a retired Army Major and his opinion is that I would like it better in the Army reserve's.

The grass is always greener.......

Pro's and Con's to each branch?? You mean component because branch is an Officer's MOS and that will take forever to answer.

Comment

Not even close to being an Officer, but..

Have ya seen a goreserves site? lol Actually google does bring one up but it is just an army email service. goguard, it is the place to be!!

Comment

I am an O9S hopeful so no, I am not in (yet!)

ARNG vs Reserves, depends on the individual I guess. I chose the Guard because I liked the idea of being activated in the event of a natural disaster, last October we had major wild-fires in Southern California and nearly 1 million people were evacuated including my entire town (50,000 roughly).

Naturally I snuck back up the hill into town because I had animals that needed care as well as other concerns (you loot, we shoot!) but guess what I saw when I drove through town? One of the most impressive, motivating, and "needed" sights I have ever witnessed in my entire life- the California National Guard! I felt immediate relief and pride when I saw those humvees come through town- it was somewhat surreal since there was hardly any traffic for obvious reasons.

That's right! The Guard was here (all over california actually) passing out water, supplies, etc. I wanted to serve before that but after those fires, I was more determined than ever. Hopefully I will be joining the ranks soon so I can make a contribution as well. These folks do not simply go to war, they also respond withing their community and as a former Police Officer, I know the value this carries.

Just my own thought based on that pesky little fire that got 50 ft. from our house last year.

Also, the Reserves do not have combat MOS's, Guar does.

James
        Last edited by GutshotStraight; September 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvldog8892
          Just curious if their are any Officer's out there that have spent time in the Army Reserve's as an Offiicer and then moved to the NG? What are the pro's and con's to each branch? Just curious...my Brother-in-Law is a retired Army Major and his opinion is that I would like it better in the Army reserve's.
          I started in the Guard and went to the USAR.

Guard Pro's
          -Unit stability. The NG doesn't cross level nearly as bad as the USAR.
          -The NG has their units spread vs. the USAR who has consolidated their units into large reserve centers.

Guard Con's
          -Promotions. They can be slow.
          -Transferring to another state

USAR Pro's
          -Promotions. In my area there are open Major vacancies as they do not have enough officers to fill.
          -Moving. Transfers between units is fairly easily as it only takes the gaining/loosing commander to sign off.

USAR Con's
          -Deployments. You can be easily cross leveled to a unit across the country and youll do it fairly often.
          -Officer shortage.

Overall, Id recommend starting in the NG first; get a few years than move over to the USAR latter in your career.

Comment

Serve your State and your Country

I'll second the point that the Guard serves the State as well as the Nation. Our dual mission means serving in your community.

Prior to the "war on terror", our recruiting material focused on our state mission. They always showed flood rescues, filling sandbags, fighting fires, etc. With the emphasis on the war abroad, we have lost that emphasis and everyone thinks of us primarily as a reserve combat force. But don't lose sight of our state mission

The year Hurricane Katrina hit, California activated to support. I performed over 120 days of duty that year in drills, annual training, and emergency state active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by dvldog8892
              In my opinion, I think starting off in the NG is easier because there are more branches to choose from and the deployment cycles are more predictable than in the Reserves. I also know that in the Guard it is more likely for an officer to be able to branch something different than what they went to BOLC3 for. Promotions to CPT are nearly automatic in the Guard and the educational benefits tend to be better.

In my case, I'm going to school for Pharmacy and I would like to switch to a Medical Corp/Services Corp later on in my career. In my particular state, there are not that many medical units and thus for promotion to and beyond MAJ is easier in the Reserves.

Comment

Guard is better. My wife is AGR in the Reserves and for her to get promoted she'll need to basically move to another part of the country. When her time is up she's going to go to the Guard. My two cents.

Comment

Hooah LT!! Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your input. Are you listed on the army.togetherweserved.com website?

Comment

Originally posted by California Captain
                    I'll second the point that the Guard serves the State as well as the Nation. Our dual mission means serving in your community.

Prior to the "war on terror", our recruiting material focused on our state mission. They always showed flood rescues, filling sandbags, fighting fires, etc. With the emphasis on the war abroad, we have lost that emphasis and everyone thinks of us primarily as a reserve combat force. But don't lose sight of our state mission

The year Hurricane Katrina hit, California activated to support. I performed over 120 days of duty that year in drills, annual training, and emergency state active duty.

Hey sir, do you need any more buckets of water out there??? The whole state is going to be burned out in a year or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X