Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will the new GI bill affect SMP

Friends,

I was wandering how the New GI Bill is going to affect SMP, and my enlistment should I wait until Aug. 1 2009 to enlist?

Thanks,

Will there still be a kicker?

It's not clear how, if at all, the Chapter 33 GI Bill will work with SMP duty. I can state, however, that your eligiblity for Ch 33 is the same whether you enlist today or in 2009. The Ch 33 requires service on active duty (whether an active duty enlistment, or as a mobilized Guardsman) to qualify, so perhaps you won't be eligible in your case no matter when you enlist. You would need to serve three years on active duty or mobilized in order to get the full Ch 33 benefit. This may not make sense in your case. I don't recommend reconfiguring your life around this benefit.

The Ch 1606 MGIB will remain (i.e., the one that M-Day Soldiers get now, that pays ~$300/month for full-time study). Remember that you only have 36 months of GI Bill eligibility (although if you later qualify for another chapter, you may be able to get another 12 months from that program, not to exceed 48 total months of GI Bill usage no matter what), so if you burn it all on Ch 1606, then later get mobilized and qualify for Ch 30, you'll have fewer months of eligibility to use for grad school later.

[edited to clatify that the Post-9/11 GI Bill is "Chapter 33"]
    Last edited by matthew.ritchie; August 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

The difference between the MGI Bill and the New GI bill is huge. So I infer by what your saying the new gi bill is not like the old one where you can begin collecting after BCT and AIT?

The BHA is a significant difference.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; August 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I'd like for it to be as easy as possible to attend ROTC, without taking out student loans, and earn a master's at the same time, while taking care of my new born and wife. The BHA of the new bill would almost double the SMP benifits. I'd like to return to school, while not surrending my new house.

Comment

The new GI Bill changes every time new information comes out. Various organizations are right now in Washington editing the current public law to ensure that the vast majority of eligible folks are afforded the benefit.

One thing I am sure of now is that it will be based on active service after 9/11, so bear that in mind. If you are a traditional guardsmen who has not deployed in support of post 9/11 operations, don't expect to be eligible for Chapter 33.

Comment

Originally posted by RE4Wavier4me
            The difference between the MGI Bill and the New GI bill is huge. So I infer by what your saying the new gi bill is not like the old one where you can begin collecting after BCT and AIT?

The BHA is a significant difference.
            The Chapter 33 GI Bill only for people who have had active duty or mobilized time after 9/11. If you join today as an M-Day Soldier, and attend Basic and AIT, you won't be eligible for it. The preliminary guidance states that only active duty tours and mobilized service will count towards eligibility, not active duty for training (i.e., Basic and AIT, annual training, and active duty schools). Even if that changes (highly unlikely), you'd get only about 40% of max benefit, which may not be that much more than the current Chapter 1606 benefit, depending on your State's local factors.

For you to be fully eligible for this program you'd need to have a major lifestyle change. Forget about college right now, enlist under the Active First program for a three year tour, come back to the Guard, and do ROTC then. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but it's your life, so you need to make that decision.

[edited to reflect that the Post-9/11 GI Bill is "Chapter 33"]
            Last edited by matthew.ritchie; August 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify, the benefit MAJ Ritchie is talking about is Chapter 33, the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by CPT Burritt
                Just to clarify, the benefit MAJ Ritchie is talking about is Chapter 33, the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
                Yes, good catch. The Chapter 30 is the "active duty" GI Bill, requiring 24 months of active duty, and a $1200 buy-in. I've edited the previous two posts for clarity. Thank you.

Comment

I figure I will sit on college until I have been in my AGR slot for my first tour... 3 years. I currently only have 10 months active time since 9/11 so I have just over two years to be eligible for the full amount.

Even without getting my SLRP or renlistment bonus, this AGR thing is turning out to be quite beneficial!

Comment

Working...
                  X