Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deployment + spouse

i am curious.

my friend's boyfriend is telling her that he wants to make sure they are married before if he were to deploy. He wants to make sure that him & my friend are well off and can start saving money. She is planning for them to get married anyways, but if he were to deploy and they weren't married they would just go to a courthouse adn do it legally, have a big wedding later on.

Is it worth that my friend get married? Is the pay that much of a differance? Or do i need to tell her to wait till he is back.

Thanks!

Extra pay packages, like added BAH, Family Separation, etc.

Girlfriends don't get enrolled in DEERS + other legal things spouses are entitled to.

Comment

so should i support the idea? cause if its going to be just like...200 more, i don't think its worth it. But if its like 2000 then its another story. he is a e-3 or something.

Comment

The extra money will come in handy to start saving, the free insurance will be great while he is active. You can get better rates at banks for things like houses and such with military benefits. Navy Federal, just started taking Army and they are awesome. Plus one I hope you dont have to use is the SGLI (life insurance). You cant beat the rate, so if something does happen she isnt stranded holding the bills. USAA, has good rates for auto insurance. These are just some things she will be intitled too. If they are going to get married anyways, you would want your friend to have the opportunity to use these. There is even free financial planning to help new couples get started. Its all good, if you know how to use it.

Comment

oh. wow. haha well then, i hope she gets me a ncie gift...haha doesn't sound like its something i shuold disagree with them with.

thanks!

Comment

I failed to mention that when they do get the BIG wedding, with all the flowers and Fru-Fru, and you mix in a military wedding with his Army brothers in their dress uniforms and the swords!!! It will blow your socks off. Um, I think I just had a metro***ual moment there!!! "Not that there is anything wrong with that"

Comment

oooo thats true!! Hmm i might have to be come wedding cordinator! :]]

...&& hope one of the army brothers is single. haha

Comment

You made it sound so good now I wanna do it. hehee

Two of the easiest things to do in the military, get married and divorced.

Comment

Becky, your right, I was trying to boost her spirits, its a good place but we do offer marriage counceling too, along with marriage retreats... Ha ha.. I know alot of guys using it lately, something must be in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by t.patron
                    ...&& hope one of the army brothers is single. haha
                    Theres plenty of Army boys looking for some lovin...

Everything in the military is legal and on paper, so them not being married will entitle her to jack squat...

Comment

I got an extra $500 a month over the single guys...from BAH alone. (varies by zipcode)

Family Separation Allowance is also like +$250/month. Hell the extra money was about the only thing my wife ever fully approved of in my career!

Multiple that by 10-12 months. Combat zone and you get your basic pay tax free.

Can be a lot of money if you arent blowing it on junk like satellite phones from Ackmed Habib Muhammed.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                        I got an extra $500 a month over the single guys...from BAH alone. (varies by zipcode)

Family Separation Allowance is also like +$250/month. Hell the extra money was about the only thing my wife ever fully approved of in my career!

Multiple that by 10-12 months. Combat zone and you get your basic pay tax free.

Can be a lot of money if you arent blowing it on junk like satellite phones from Ackmed Habib Muhammed.
                        Ooh so true.....LMAO

Comment

but the question is...

Is your friend in love with him in order to make this big commitment and sacrifice? That was not even mentioned in the post. Statistics have shown the marriages in the military; especially the ones they deal with very young adults, dont tend to last if they get married for reasons that are not relative to true love. Its not about the money and being well off. I have seen so many soldiers blow off their sergeant's advice to get married before going on deployment to return to be a parent of another individuals' kid; lost money and a costly divorce in the end. Not to dissaude or sound so negative but these are the harsh truths. Its a very serious step just like joining the service.

Comment

Money should not be the main reason for getting married. Love is!!!!! So if you have the Love part taken care of you should get married before you deploy. Like some one mentioned above "girl friends do not have any Military benefits" like; life insurance, medical, commissary, Px, Bas etc etc.
                            Last edited by mras350b2; August 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Yes the military will strain and test your relationship like nothing else. Pregnant Army wives especially are more dangerous and one should wear proper protection, expect to be ambushed, flanked and stepping into booby traps.

And remember the Rules of Engagement.

1-You are always wrong
                              2-The Army is always wrong
                              3-The REAL commander-in-chief is always right

Comment

Working...
                              X