Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
State defense force and Army National Guard at the same time... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State defense force and Army National Guard at the same time...

Is this possible?

Just wondering if it's possible to join the Washington State Defense Force as my full time job...

And have my Army National Guard stuff as my part time thing (unless activated)

Is it possible to do this?

If not, it's fine... I'm still going Guard...

Well, since the Washington State Guard describes itself as an "all volunteer unit" who "normally serve without remuneration", I don't think it would make for much of a job - assuming you want to get paid.

Comment

Short answer....no

Originally posted by Draco771
      Is this possible?

Just wondering if it's possible to join the Washington State Defense Force as my full time job...

Comment

Originally posted by Draco771
        Is this possible?

I would be extraordinarily surprised to find that there was such a thing as a full-time job with the Defense Force. If you find one, let us know.

I can't speak for WA State, but I would imagine they have same State laws as my State (Virginia), which prohibits membership in the Defense Force and the Guard at the same time. The two groups should be mutually exclusive in membership, because they might both be called upon at the same time for the same purpose.

Comment

I never really researched SDF much and this thread made me curious. The link I provided has some pretty interesting info including along with funding for individual states. The tables show California and Puerto Rico being support units with a 225K & 300K annual budget. maybe they do pay a few people?

http://www.sgaus.org/BankusPaper.htm

Comment

No you cannot. State laws prohibit you to serve in both The Army National Guard and State Defense Force. The only service you can do this in is The Naval Militia... You can serve in the Naval Militia and in The Navy or Marines.

State Defense Forces are ONLY for people who cant serve in The US Military... due to Medical issue or if you are a Disabled US Veteran.

If you can serve in The Army National Guard... then do the big boys.

Check this site out for more info - www.gosdf.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeanNYGUARD
              No you cannot. State laws prohibit you to serve in both The Army National Guard and State Defense Force. The only service you can do this in is The Naval Militia... You can serve in the Naval Militia and in The Navy or Marines.

State Defense Forces are ONLY for people who cant serve in The US Military... due to Medical issue or if you are a Disabled US Veteran.

I take exception to your comment. Im perfectly able bodied and choose the SDF, as do many. It is a great place for people who CHOOSE not to serve federally for any reason. It is a GREAT place for retired military, or ones who choose not to serve a full twenty years. I can tell your intentions are good and you are an SDF supporter from other posts, but the SDF isnt just a home for people who cant make it elsewhere. The SDF doesnt reject the able bodied and young.It is another option for patriots to serve their community.

Comment

See, just like the SDF's they do not have any benefits and real world work like the Coast Guard Auxiliary dose. Even Auxiliarist have chances to apply to the Coast guard academy or enlist with curtain quals and advance rank such as if you have boat crew qualified and coxswain qualified, you come in as E-4 off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by CTAuxie
                  See, just like the SDF's they do not have any benefits and real world work like the Coast Guard Auxiliary dose. Even Auxiliarist have chances to apply to the Coast guard academy or enlist with curtain quals and advance rank such as if you have boat crew qualified and coxswain qualified, you come in as E-4 off the bat.

Real work, okay when I was stationed at the power plant I should pretend the SDF wasn't there with me?

I should pretend they do not train with us for civil emergencies?

Comment

One thing about the State Defense Force ... they are volunteers... that sacrifice their time and possibly life (Civil emergency)...

And they do REAL WORLD WORK... I was on The National Guard CERFP team for almost 4 years. Working side by side with Army / Air National Guardsmen. We work side by side... performing the same work, at the same time, for The Country. They work on ranges at West Point... making sure their maintained for The US Army and Cadets, as well as constructing buildings / field courses for The Army National Guard. They perform Search and Rescue operations, as well as liason between NYPD, ARNG, ANG, FBI, etc. And during emergencies like Katrina ... they deployed to the middle of the city assisting Hospitals with medical staff. They were even deployed to Bosnia to assist with medical operations with The Air National Guard. So they do Real world missions... and they are important. One things for sure ... I will have alot of respect for them when I do my drills at Camp Smith as a Army National Guardsmen.

check out http://www.homeguardarmory.com for more info.

Comment

One thing about the State Defense Force ... they are volunteers... that sacrifice their time and possibly life (Civil emergency)...

And they do REAL WORLD WORK... I was on The National Guard CERFP team for almost 4 years. Working side by side with Army / Air National Guardsmen. We work side by side... performing the same work, at the same time, for The Country. They work on ranges at West Point... making sure their maintained for The US Army and Cadets, as well as constructing buildings / field courses for The Army National Guard. They perform Search and Rescue operations, as well as liason between NYPD, ARNG, ANG, FBI, etc. And during emergencies like Katrina ... they deployed to the middle of the city assisting Hospitals with medical staff. They were even deployed to Bosnia to assist with medical operations with The Air National Guard. So they do Real world missions... and they are important. One things for sure ... I will have alot of respect for them when I do my drills at Camp Smith as a Army National Guardsmen.

check out http://www.homeguardarmory.com for more info.
                      Their are things that the state guards will never do that the Coast Guard Auxiliary will do. Such as being able to deploy on an active duty Coast Guard Cutter. Work and training Side by side with Active and Reserve members. We have benefits such as PX, Work life and training ops and real world ops with the US Coast Guard. I'm even payed for my work in a form of reimbursements for all my expenses related to my Coast Guard Duty.

Can the State guard ever say they train and deploy with the cadets. Can the state guard go on real world missions and real world deployments. I have because during the summer, I help and train the cadets at the Coast Guard Academy and go on their summer swab cruises on the US Coast Guard Cutter baruqe Eagle. In addition to training Coast Guard Academy cadets, I fly air patrols for the US Coast Guard covering the entire New England and the North Atlantic.

I wear the same uniforms as the US Coast guard but my ranks being silver instead of gold because silver is Auxiliarist and gold is active duty.

Even as a first, I know of a fellow Coast Guard Auxiliarist who got deployed to Iraq because this Auxiliarist was a Coast Guard Artist and was sent their to paint a portrait of the US Coast Guard in Iraq and what they were doing. Since Auxiliarist can't go into a combat zone, this Auxiliarist had to get orders directly from the commandant to go to Iraq.

See with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, we operate under the US Code Title 14 United States Code Chapter 23 Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Check it out for yourself
                      http://teamcoastguard.org/

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg3/cg3pcx/default.asp

http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...uard_Auxiliary

http://www.cgaux1sr.org/

On any average day, Coast Guard Auxiliarists throughout the United States will do the following:[1]

* Complete 62.5 safety patrols
                      * Complete 6.2 regatta patrols
                      * Perform 10.2 vessel assists
                      * Assist 28 people
                      * Save 1 life
                      * Save $341,290 in property
                      * Participate in 100 operational support missions
                      * Participate in 48.7 administrative support missions
                      * Complete 13.4 recruiting support missions
                      * Educate 369 people on boating safety
                      * Perform 299 vessel safety checks
                      * Attend 70 public affairs functions
                      Last edited by CTAuxie; April 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Their are things that the state guards will never do that the Coast Guard Auxiliary will do. Such as being able to deploy on an active duty Coast Guard Cutter. Work and training Side by side with Active and Reserve members. We have benefits such as PX, Work life and training ops and real world ops with the US Coast Guard. I'm even payed for my work in a form of reimbursements for all my expenses related to my Coast Guard Duty.

Can the State guard ever say they train and deploy with the cadets. Can the state guard go on real world missions and real world deployments. I have because during the summer, I help and train the cadets at the Coast Guard Academy and go on their summer swab cruises on the US Coast Guard Cutter baruqe Eagle. In addition to training Coast Guard Academy cadets, I fly air patrols for the US Coast Guard covering the entire New England and the North Atlantic.

I wear the same uniforms as the US Coast guard but my ranks being silver instead of gold because silver is Auxiliarist and gold is active duty.

Even as a first, I know of a fellow Coast Guard Auxiliarist who got deployed to Iraq because this Auxiliarist was a Coast Guard Artist and was sent their to paint a portrait of the US Coast Guard in Iraq and what they were doing. Since Auxiliarist can't go into a combat zone, this Auxiliarist had to get orders directly from the commandant to go to Iraq.

See with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, we operate under the US Code Title 14 United States Code Chapter 23 Coast Guard Auxiliary.

On any average day, Coast Guard Auxiliarists throughout the United States will do the following:[1]

* Assist 28 people
                        * Save 1 life
                        Wow! Easy kids I'm impressed! But, can you put a round in a tick a-s-s at a thousand meters ? Seems like another wanna be hero story. Volunteer fireman, SDF, and Auxiliary. Please SDF & Coast Auxiliary this site is for people seeking info about joining the ARNG not a p-i-s-s-i-n-g match between who does "real world work"....LMAO.

Comment

* Assist 28 people
                          * Save 1 life
                          Actually most SDFs have the same opportunity for training and deployment that you do. SDFs wear the same uniform as the Army, with the name of the State in place of Army. Of course and SDF isnt likely to go aboard any ship, thats what you guys are for. The answer to all of your "Can the State Guard..." questions is yes. They can do everything you can, except not on the water. It does depend on the State. Go to this site, its a goood military site with the BEST SDF forum. Learn more for yourself before you assume that your service is more valid than anothers.
                          www.vajoe.com

Comment

Working...
                          X