X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay grade while in BCT & AIT - BAH

I am getting married to my fiance in November, leave for basic in December. He's in school and we rely on my student loans to usually cover our rent...but I won't be recieving that while I'm gone for six months, of course.

1) How much can I expect to make at basic on a monthly basis? I will be an E-3 at the time. I heard $600/every two weeks. Is this accurate?

2) Am I eligible for BAH and BAQ? What is the difference?

http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html

Put in your zip code. Depending on where you live, your BAH might be almost as high as your basic pay. E1-E4 is the same and your BAH will only increase at E5 and higher or officer ranks. (NY and CA have the overall highest in the country I believe)

Your basic pay for E3 with under 2 years would be roughly $1534 a month. And you get paid on the first and fifteenth of the month.

You also get family seperation allowance which is $250.00 a month.

Not sure of any other incentives off the top of my head.

I dont think BAQ is used anymore and has been renamed to BAH Type II, which is if you're on active duty for less than a month. (usually state-side activations.)
    Last edited by SteveLord; October 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Does someone get housing allowance even if they are single? I am single, leaving in 2 weeks, but I was just counting on my regular E3 pay to pay my rent while I'm gone. Is it possible that I can earn an extra pay allowance?

Comment

Originally posted by katieann
        Does someone get housing allowance even if they are single? I am single, leaving in 2 weeks, but I was just counting on my regular E3 pay to pay my rent while I'm gone. Is it possible that I can earn an extra pay allowance?
        Yes, you will still get housing allowance. Although its can be a little less or a lot less depending on the area.

E1-E4
        North New Jersey
        $1767.00
        or
        $1180.00

Central Iowa
        $ 887.00
        or
        $ 702.00
        Last edited by SteveLord; October 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

is there anything special you have to do to get the BAH? i had thought it was only if you had dependents or were married...

Comment

Originally posted by buckeye06
            is there anything special you have to do to get the BAH? i had thought it was only if you had dependents or were married...
            So how does the military accounting department know what I should receive BAH if this is the case?

Would this technically mean that I will get my base E3 active duty pay while at BCT AND BAH pay?

Comment

Make sure your recruiter has a copy of your lease/deed/mortgage paperwork, childrens and spouses birth cert. Cert. of Marriage etc.. Its is also a good idea to have a copy of this (never the original), when you go through the financial section at your reception station. They ask you for this I know at the 43rd at Leonardwood, I didnt have mine and it was weeks before I could get it faxed to me, due to the training schedule. Its good to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                Make sure your recruiter has a copy of your lease/deed/mortgage paperwork, childrens and spouses birth cert. Cert. of Marriage etc.. Its is also a good idea to have a copy of this (never the original), when you go through the financial section at your reception station. They ask you for this I know at the 43rd at Leonardwood, I didnt have mine and it was weeks before I could get it faxed to me, due to the training schedule. Its good to plan ahead.
                So you are receiving the BAH on top of your base active duty training pay?

Comment

Originally posted by katieann
                  So how does the military accounting department know what I should receive BAH if this is the case?

Would this technically mean that I will get my base E3 active duty pay while at BCT AND BAH pay?
                  YES. Like I mentioned already, it varies by zipcode and everytime you're payed, you'll get see Basic Pay and Basic Allowance for Housing, Family Separation and whatever else.

Relax!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                    YES. Like I mentioned already, it varies by zipcode and everytime you're payed, you'll get see Basic Pay and Basic Allowance for Housing, Family Separation and whatever else.

Relax!
                    Well basically it seems too good to be true

Comment

wow, i really wasn't expecting to get BAH... that's awesome, that is going to help out a lot. i was planning on paying out of my regular pay while gone, and now i will be able to save even more towards buying a car when i get home. very good news.

Comment

Yup, BT (and active duty in general) is a good money maker for young soldiers who have little experience in the job market or just never had a job that payed like this.

The army supplies you with 99% of everything you "need" to live. Clothing, shelter, food, etc.

My advice is to spend as little as possible there. Especially when it comes to things like paying people off to shine your boots or buying 10 dollar pieces of cake from the PT studs. Yes, you WILL see people doing that.

Comment

SteveLord, is correct. SAVE your money. You will spend some while you are there but you will leave there one day and that money makes it a easy transition. I have seen way to many soldiers on stupid crap, just because they had money that was extra. Stay away from buying the laptops, PSP, Games, TV's etc.. Even the little stuff like paying someone to work fireguard for you. Keep that cash, you might be bored or tempted but you do get out of BCT one day and its a whole lot happier with the cash. My BAH,and other pay was higher than my private base pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                            SteveLord, is correct. SAVE your money. You will spend some while you are there but you will leave there one day and that money makes it a easy transition. I have seen way to many soldiers on stupid crap, just because they had money that was extra. Stay away from buying the laptops, PSP, Games, TV's etc.. Even the little stuff like paying someone to work fireguard for you. Keep that cash, you might be bored or tempted but you do get out of BCT one day and its a whole lot happier with the cash. My BAH,and other pay was higher than my private base pay.
                            Are you married?

Can someone verify that you do or do not recieve BAH if you are single and in a mortgage/rent contract?

Comment

Originally posted by BradC
                              Are you married?

Can someone verify that you do or do not recieve BAH if you are single and in a mortgage/rent contract?
                              My recruiter just got back to me (he knows I'm single, no dependents) and he said that I will receive BAH with a copy of my lease/mortgage contract.

Comment

Working...
                              X