X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about ACTIVE DUTY Retirement With Reserve Time

I have 26 years Active Duty and prior to that 3 years active Reserve (3 years of drills and active duty for training).

I have the proper form issued by HRC (Reserve Component) documenting alll points for active duty and other points for drills and membership.

I am retiring from active duty and my local retirement service office will not count my 3 years of points except for the active duty for training. I'm pretty sure thats incorrect but can somebody give some advice. Thanks

Dog

Dog-
    The only reserve component time that counts toward active duty retirement is Active Duty for Training (ADT) time.

Comment

The only area that the 3 years will be fully accounted for is time in service for pay. In your case, it doesn't matter since the pay tables are frozen at 26 years of service. In the case of someone retiring with 20 years of active duty, it will help them get the 22 years pay rate (the rates in the pay table increase by even numbers so the person won't get the full 23 years of service for pay).

Comment

New info? New legeslation?

I just talked to a guy (JAN 13, 2007) that has his retirement paperwork in after 20 years of active service and it is being told (retirement calculation) that his 5 years as a drilling reservist now count towards the percentage, i.e he will get paid as an O-5 with 25 years, another 10 percent! He also said that he called HRC and got the same answer. My father who retired said that there was an old law that counted that time for drilling prior to 1958 but got rescinded. My question is now, with the war going on and all the new legislation regarding reserve time, does the drilling reserve time count, what’s the law. We need more than just guessing, I would like to see if we can find, and cite, the reg/law. I also had 5 years as a drilling reservist and have maxed out every year on the pay scale but an extra 10 percent for the 5 years I drilled would be huge.

Comment

What all Counts?

I would also be very interested in finding out about that law. I served six years in the Guard and I have now been Active Duty in the Navy for thirteen years. My active duty service date does not reflect any of my National Guard time. I know that ADT counts towards active training, but does that include annual training and weekend drills? Will this time allow me to reach 20 years earlier, or does it only count towards my retirement computation after I reach 20 in the Navy? Very confused. Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

What all Counts?

I would also be very interested in finding out about that law. I served in the Guard for six years before going active in the Navy. I have now been active for 13 years, but my Active Duty Service Date only reflects my Navy time. It gives no credit for my Guard time. I know that ADT counts towards retirement, but does that include annual training and weekend drills. Also, does this time allow me to reach retirement eligability earlier, or does it only count towards my percentage once I reach the full 20 years of active duty? A little confused here. Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

Active duty points in the reserves count towards Active Duty retirement while Inactive Points don't.

Annual tour days are active duty in addition to active duty for training, active duty for special work and any time mobilized.

Drill weekends are inactive time so their points don't count.

So if you were in the reserves for 6 years and earned 455 Active Duty points that would equal 1 year and 3 months of active duty time.

Comment

Q about ACTIVE DUTY Retirement With Reserve Time

The IDT points should count after the 20 years (ADT) are computed not before. If you have 6 years of IDT at 60+ points per year, you should get an extra year after the 20 years is first computed, giving you 21 years (52.5%). It is a little wierd.

Comment

I'm looking into this info as well. I had 4.5 years MS NG time. I only accumlated 198 active duty points but on my DA Form 1506 computed about 10 years ago they only counted the ADT time while at basic, AIT, and Airborne School. Can I get the 1506 recomputed to include all 198 points?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Comment

Navy and National Guard time

I served in the Florida National Guard 8 years, and for 16 active duty navy years was told the time counted for nothing more than your Pay Enty Base Date. I started researching and contacting BUPERS and other Navy Offices and finally got all the answers and got the appropriate time counted (204 days) I am at home at the moment and can't quote all the forms from here but anyone interested in a detailed discription of how to go about getting your time counted please feel free to contact me at trondoc@hotmail.com or james.tinsley@navy.mil I saved all the paperwork and can write up a step by step list of things you have to do and the addresses to send the paperwork to......this does not include your personnel department as I recall at the moment. Please contact me and get your time counted!
                    This may work for other branches of service but the contact addresses will be different

I do have one question that someone may have an answer for.... I will retire in 2 years with 20 years active and almost 9 reserve years. As I understand it I will get paid for 20 years at that point. My question is this. At the time I reach eligibility for reserves and would receive "Reserve Retirement" pay would I get paid the additional 2.5% per year that was stated on my initial enlistment papers in 1981? 50% at 20 and 22.5% at reserve retirement age for a total of 72.5% at reserve retirement age
                    Last edited by NavyTron; July 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I'm glad I saw your answer, because that's what I needed to know. I have been trying to get my time straight for a while, Thanks a million.

Comment

very important

Anyone nearing the 20 year mark as myself should get the facts on this because this is important for your retirement check.

Comment

Originally posted by CW5 Gaudet
                          The IDT points should count after the 20 years (ADT) are computed not before. If you have 6 years of IDT at 60+ points per year, you should get an extra year after the 20 years is first computed, giving you 21 years (52.5%). It is a little wierd.
                          Bingo. I'm sure it will be an uphill battle for most of you though, but well worth the extra money when it is said and done.

Comment

Working...
                          X