X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=LT_77]Congrats! Good luck :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir. I am pumped... I can not wait to go.:)

Comment

[QUOTE=RobLyman]Wow! I was 43 when I joined the guard. But I was prior service.

It takes a lot of guts to do something like that at 41! You certainly have my respect![/QUOTE]

Ha Ha Thank you. I am 41 but look, act and feel much younger. My 19 year old daughter is shipping with me. I will let you all know how this old chick fares when I am done with basic but other than possible shin splints I am not expecting any real hardships.

I am looking forward to the priviledge to be able to experience something so awesome. The only bad thing about being my age is the DS's will not be able to intimidate me nor do I suppose they will be able to break me down and build me up. I think at my age, I am pretty set in my ways. But at the same time, I will respect them at all times. Really, no guts needed. For me this is a chance to fulfill a lifelong dream.

I know exactly what I am getting in to and other that missing my kids which I have done before on business trips lasting up to 3 months I say bring it.... I can not wait. I have been ready for months. I'll be getting paid to exercise right? After the holidays who can't appreciate that plus I'll miss out on the worst of Wisconsin winters and that is the very best part.:D

Comment

[QUOTE= The only bad thing about being my age is the DS's will not be able to intimidate me nor do I suppose they will be able to break me down and build me up. [/QUOTE]

Be confident, but also mindful that while you are a mature adult as I am, they can certainly intimidate you and may be able to break you down to a certain extent. I am an in-shape 38 year old male who was a Police Officer and has 16 years of martial arts experience behind me and I have been "broke" to a certain extent in Basic. That is the idea though! Physically you will be tested beyond your limits, especially in that first 72 hours at BCT but mentally? That is up to you.

In martial arts we would say, "imua-ki!" which means m ove forward with full energy!

James

Comment

yeah, you are not old...39 here and shipping to basic in fort sill on 20080218 ..no proir service..good luck to all

Comment

Employment Question

The answer to employment questions can be found here:

[URL="http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm"]http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm[/URL]

In short:

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA 38 U.S.C. 4301-4334)

USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met

Comment

I was in firefights as a 41 year old and the 43 is on the horizon lol. I know a 50 something that will out PT all of you on here; hands down. He won the PT award in my WOCS class. Ran the 2 mile on 17-21 year old scale easily. He was a buck 40 but still lol.

Comment

Why would you expect your employer to hold your job for 4 years????

Comment

[QUOTE=cheeseman]Why would you expect your employer to hold your job for 4 years????[/QUOTE]

Because that company would be violating federal law if they do not.

Also, pursuing a company under USERRA does not prevent you from also pursuing that company with a lawsuit. Think they really want to be presented in the media for denying re-employment rights to a veteran?
                  Last edited by plano2001; December 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Do you want to live this long?

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_re_us/obit_oldest_american_man"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_re_us/obit_oldest_american_man[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                    X