X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC II BOLC III split

I'm planning on going to law school next fall (late august), and am trying to figure out if I can serve and become an officer without disrupting my education.

Based on the timelines and other posts I've read, the only way to feasibly do this would be to split up BOLC II and BOLC III, doing one this summer, before the first year of law school, and one next summer (assuming one summer would be enough time for BOLC III, which it probably won't). So 3 questions:

1. Can I split BOLC II and BOLC III?

2. Would it even be feasible to do BOLC III before BOLC II?

3.This might be a ridiculous question, but can I Split BOLC III over two summers?

Otherwise I can probably end my ambitions to be an officer. :mad: Thanks for your advice.

You didnt even mention OCS. How old are you? Wouldnt you want to just focus on law school and direct commission afterwards? You dont want to bite more than you can chew but hey when people have goals coupled with motivation, they can do anything but the COs can give you the take with the training required and if its doable. I believe the sequence is set in stone.

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]You didnt even mention OCS. How old are you? Wouldnt you want to just focus on law school and direct commission afterwards? You dont want to bite more than you can chew but hey when people have goals coupled with motivation, they can do anything but the COs can give you the take with the training required and if its doable. I believe the sequence is set in stone.[/QUOTE]
      I'm 26, I have BA and MA already, so I think I'm eligible. I'd plan on going through BCT and OCS this year as well, obviously, but don't have enough time to do both BOLC 2 and 3 before August, so I'm trying to get a handle on the options.

What's "direct commission", is that like the JAG route? I'm not interested in being a JAG, and would like serve during school, even if that means being deployed and taking a leave from school for a year or so. If I can't go the officer route, I'm considering just enlisting.
      Last edited by spc patriot; December 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=spc patriot]I'm planning on going to law school next fall (late august), and am trying to figure out if I can serve and become an officer without disrupting my education.

Based on the timelines and other posts I've read, the only way to feasibly do this would be to split up BOLC II and BOLC III, doing one this summer, before the first year of law school, and one next summer (assuming one summer would be enough time for BOLC III, which it probably won't). So 3 questions:

1. Can I split BOLC II and BOLC III?

2. Would it even be feasible to do BOLC III before BOLC II?

3.This might be a ridiculous question, but can I Split BOLC III over two summers?

Otherwise I can probably end my ambitions to be an officer. :mad: Thanks for your advice.[/QUOTE]

MAJ Ritchie answered this a while ago. Search.

1) No.
        2) No.
        3) No.

Comment

[QUOTE=spc patriot]I'm 26, I have BA and MA already, so I think I'm eligible. I'd plan on going through BCT and OCS this year as well, obviously, but don't have enough time to do both BOLC 2 and 3 before August, so I'm trying to get a handle on the options.

What's "direct commission", is that like the JAG route? I'm not interested in being a JAG, and would like serve during school, even if that means being deployed and taking a leave from school for a year or so. If I can't go the officer route, I'm considering just enlisting.[/QUOTE]

Are you non-prior service? If so, is it possible for you to get NGB Accelerated OCS? I didn't think that it was typical.

Of course, you could go to BCT and get into the next State OCS program which would run from this summer (2009) to the end of next (2010) with weekend drills. Clock is ticking on that though.

Once you're done (commissioned, having signed a new contract), you could always delay BOLC II/III up to 18 months (plus 6 months with a waiver) and finish school.

Timing rarely works out. Be patient, decide what's most important and prioritze your goals (OCS vs. JD, or both).

Comment

Why not just get through law school then get commissioned? Am I missing something?

Comment

[QUOTE=i82much]Why not just get through law school then get commissioned? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't want to do JAG.

Comment

Hey its a special branch that directs commish without going through all the hooyah stuff. I think its an awesome opportunity. Doing civilian and military law practice. A major money-maker on the horizon.

Comment

Darn. Yeah, I guess the regular officer route is closed due to my educational constraints. So it's either enlistment now or JAG corps after law school.

I appreciate all the advice/info.

Comment

[QUOTE=spc patriot]Darn. Yeah, I guess the regular officer route is closed due to my educational constraints. So it's either enlistment now or JAG corps after law school.

I appreciate all the advice/info.[/QUOTE]

If extending your contract down the line isn't a big deal, enlist now. Drill for two years. At the end of your second year of law school, start a State OCS program which would end the summer after your third year of law school.

Or as prior service at that point, get into Accelerated OCS after your third year. You'd get it out of the way in one shot after law school, but be subject to deployment during your third year.

But this seems like a bit more work just for the sake of becomming a non-JAG officer.

Comment

[QUOTE=spc patriot]Darn. Yeah, I guess the regular officer route is closed due to my educational constraints. So it's either enlistment now or JAG corps after law school.

I appreciate all the advice/info.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget, you can always enlist now and go to OCS later if your chain of command wants to send you. Just cause your education time requirements doesn't let you do OCS first doesn't mean you can either never be an officer or your only option is to do a direction commission to JAG later.

Comment

What others have said is correct. The break between 2 and 3 is about a week, and they are done together. The week facilitates travel from one base to another. It IS possible (rare) to do 3 before 2, we had a few like that in our class. The only reason was because they were AD LTs that were snowbirding waiting for slots, bolc2 was full so they were sent to bolc3 first.

Its tough, but oftentimes you have to learn to plan your personal life around the military instead of the other way around.

Comment

You guys use the term snowbird as well? That was part of our class song lol

Comment

didnt that come from old people who go to Florida during the winter?

Comment

Yes sir, the people that use to take care of me in summer camp, have a summer home down in Florida. They live in Long Island, NY. They love using that word.

Comment

Working...
                              X