Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I"m going in to the guard my wife is AD and we're goin to Fort Campbell in april, does this mean I can get air assault in my contract or because I'm going 11b and I'll be in a mech. infantry up here in wa I have already call the hhc of the 81st and they said there is no air borne or air assault slots.

Comment

[quote=Agent.Fox]No I"m going in to the guard my wife is AD and we're goin to Fort Campbell in april, does this mean I can get air assault in my contract or because I'm going 11b and I'll be in a mech. infantry up here in wa I have already call the hhc of the 81st and they said there is no air borne or air assault slots.[/quote]

Well bring up the memorandum up when you sign up but people who are dependents of screaming eagles that are in the local reserve or guard units dont just get slots at the 101st. Everyone that I have witnessed in that school had screaming eagles as their unit patch. Yes, we had some cadets in the summer as well as Air Force guys but its not a given. Also, you can get a slot at any other AA school site besides Campbell. I did see a couple of Guardsman on the weekends that had wings but they had the 101st combat patch. Obviously they were a soldier with the 101st at some point.

Just talk to your recruiter and see what they say but from what I saw; negative.

Comment

With Air Assault it's not about being in an Air Assault (ASI: 2B) position to go to the course. It's about who NGB gives the Air Assault class seats to. So you can be in a Mech unit and still go to the school. I don't know the procedure about getting requesting school slots so to me it seems random. In the late winter of 2007, my mech infantry unit sent about 20 dudes to AA, but we sent no one this year.

Comment

On the active side, when I saw people enlist; I have always seen the airborne option in a contract but never heard of putting air assault in it.

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I did see a couple of Guardsman on the weekends that had wings but they had the 101st combat patch. Obviously they were a soldier with the 101st at some point.[/QUOTE]

Not obviously. My unit was attached to 101 in Iraq a year ago. Almost everyone is wearing a 101 combat patch. I was supposed to go to AAslt a few months back, but we got whacked with a hurricane so I had to stay back & kind of regret it.

I think I'm going to talk to my retention & readiness NCOs about this & get a date plugged in for right before BOLC. That'll give me extra incentive to be in shape before I head out there. If the timing doesn't work out, I wonder if I can pick this up while I'm on hold between courses at Rucker? hmm.

Comment

[quote=dnall]Not obviously. My unit was attached to 101 in Iraq a year ago. Almost everyone is wearing a 101 combat patch. I was supposed to go to AAslt a few months back, but we got whacked with a hurricane so I had to stay back & kind of regret it.

I think I'm going to talk to my retention & readiness NCOs about this & get a date plugged in for right before BOLC. That'll give me extra incentive to be in shape before I head out there. If the timing doesn't work out, I wonder if I can pick this up while I'm on hold between courses at Rucker? hmm.[/quote]

I know you can wear a combat patch of another unit if you were attached to them while deployed and it has to be mentioned on your deployment orders as well. Alot of my pals in the 101st that deployed in 2003 like to wear the XVIII Airborne Corps patch as well. I was referring to the reserve/ng units by Fort Campbell that didnt deploy with us or were with us in our AO. I talked to the ones that said they remained in the area after discharging and joined the reserves.

I have to be super specific and word properly with my posts now lol I do know the regs on the SSI lol. and we do tease the soldiers that wear the 101st patch and didnt serve with them. Cause mainly they had no wings with their uniform (was more evident with the BDUs) but you dont have to wear your badges on the ACU.
              Last edited by WO1 Quinones; December 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Oh I know what you meant. I'm just saying there's a whole lot of guard/reserve folks wearing 101 combat patches & w/ AAslt wings that have never been on active duty, much less in the 101. We got some folks that were assigned up as liaisons & wear the 18th Airborne patch also.

Personally, I missed out on that deployment coming thru training, and I'd really like to pick up a 101 combat patch as I was born right in the area & grew up going to Campbell on a semi-regular basis. Did several of those eagle days or whatever the heck it's called. It was really pretty cool for a little kid.

And just for the record, the reputation of the WTC courses is they're no joke. Supposedly they're slightly harder than the active duty versions. Which is the same as OCS & WOCS, I think mainly because they're self-conscious about being called second rate by folks in big Army.
                Last edited by dnall; December 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

anymore everyone has a combat patch, nobody checks the validity either.....

that's it, i'm going to start wearing an ranger scroll for my combat patch. that's gotta be the hardest one to attain, since you have to BE in the unit to wear it. I've seen support units wearing SF patches, or 82nd or 101st...I'm all about the scroll. When asked, I'm going to say "that's G-14 classified" beotch!

Comment

[QUOTE=LT_77]anymore everyone has a combat patch, nobody checks the validity either.....

that's it, i'm going to start wearing an ranger scroll for my combat patch. that's gotta be the hardest one to attain, since you have to BE in the unit to wear it. I've seen support units wearing SF patches, or 82nd or 101st...I'm all about the scroll. When asked, I'm going to say "that's G-14 classified" beotch![/QUOTE]

WRONG!!! My best friend wears a 1/75 Scroll, he was loned out to them for a little while, and he was NG while doing it. The stars must have been aligned for that one. I dont know how he pulled it off but he did. As for the SF patches or SF Long Tabs? You see a few Long Tabs in Support when they are on the back end of the career or needing a break. I have even seen a Trident on a NG uniform, that is rare!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]WRONG!!! My best friend wears a 1/75 Scroll, he was loned out to them for a little while, and he was NG while doing it. The stars must have been aligned for that one. I dont know how he pulled it off but he did. As for the SF patches or SF Long Tabs? You see a few Long Tabs in Support when they are on the back end of the career or needing a break. I have even seen a Trident on a NG uniform, that is rare!!![/QUOTE]

I've seen a trident in a picture of a guard officer once. I'd double check that one every time. They have a solid database for that.

You do see SF patches w/o tabs for support troops, even females. We got a couple of those support BNs in the guard.

I've seen a few scrolls around too, but that's almost always prior service coming over to the guard. I don't know of too many stories where you'd get it for being attached. I'm not even sure that's possible the way the rules work. I can tell you I see a lot of folks here wearing 36ID combat patches, which no one is supposed to do cause the Div HQ has never deployed. It should be the division or rgmt they were attached to in-country. Lot of folks wearing 82nd & 10mtn, few 3ID.

Comment

[QUOTE]does this mean you can get air assault in your cont. Because here in wa i'll be in a mech. unit and there an no slots in tell we get moved to fort campbell ky well my wife well is it easier to wait intell i get there with an infantry unit[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]in tell [/QUOTE] Seriously? It took me reading that post about 5 times to understand what was meant. I didn't know if you were talking about intelligence or maybe you were going to go in somewhere and tell something.

I understand this is a forum and sometimes peole type fast or shorten things up, but that spelling serves no purpose.

The word is 'until'. It's actulally one word. For pronunciation, please see Webster's (it's in the 'u' section, not the 'i's') .

Comment

[QUOTE=Ranger 523]From the letter it is somewhat ambiguous. One thing is clear is that one has to be enrolled in the program during FY09. What's not clear is whether one has to attend the course during this fiscal year or if it can be attended in FY10. I emailed my battalion retention NCO about an hour ago and waiting on his response. Stand by.[/QUOTE]

Still standing by, Sir.

Comment

The memo indicates it's 1) a pilot program, and 2) ONLY funded for FY09. So, I'm fairly certain that does not allow enrollment in FY09 for a funded FY10 slot.

I am very confident this will prove successful and be continued into FY10 & beyond, just as high enlistment bonuses will be with us for a while, but so far that's a year to year decision.
                            Last edited by dnall; December 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

[quote=AmPat]Seriously? It took me reading that post about 5 times to understand what was meant. I didn't know if you were talking about intelligence or maybe you were going to go in somewhere and tell something.

I understand this is a forum and sometimes peole type fast or shorten things up, but that spelling serves no purpose.

The word is 'until'. It's actulally one word. For pronunciation, please see Webster's (it's in the 'u' section, not the 'i's') .[/quote]

I didnt know contract was abbreviated like that as well. Also I thought he meant waaaa like crying but he meant Washington State lol

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]WRONG!!! My best friend wears a 1/75 Scroll, he was loned out to them for a little while, and he was NG while doing it. The stars must have been aligned for that one. I dont know how he pulled it off but he did. As for the SF patches or SF Long Tabs? You see a few Long Tabs in Support when they are on the back end of the career or needing a break. I have even seen a Trident on a NG uniform, that is rare!!![/QUOTE]

Definitely shouldn't be wearing it. I'm sure if he talked to my friend who is a 1SG in the 75th RR he would not be able to justify his obvious miscalculation.

Comment

Working...
                                X