Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a history of ancestors in the military?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone with a history of ancestors in the military?

I had ancestors on both sides of the revolutionary war, one that fought for the union in the Civil War, my grandpa was on a medical ship during the invasion of normandy and my father toured the bars of Germany during 'Nam.

Comment

My grandpa was a SGT back in WW2, never met him though. My wife, brother, and I are all in reserve components.

Comment

[QUOTE=gabriel.gambino]My grandpa was a SGT back in WW2, never met him though. My wife, brother, and I are all in reserve components.[/QUOTE]

No kiddin same here my grandfather was a Sgt in the second world war as well and unfortunitly I never got to meet him. He was on my dads side. My other grandfather passed away a couple of months ago.

Comment

At least one member of my family has served in every war of this country since its birth. Am a Daughter of the American Revolution (though cant legally prove it as there is a scandal surrounding that family member and the other family wont release the records) To my knowledge only my cousin and myself are serving for our generation. He is a Cpt in the Air Force with 3 tours.

X-great-grandfather: was the master shipbuilder of the first war vessel ever constructed in this country for the Royal Navy- the frigate "Falkland", 637 tons burden, carrying 226 men and 54 guns. She was added to the Navy 2 March 1695, and was lost off the coast of Ireland in May 1699.

-Many Officers
          -Mostly shipwrights in the earlier years
          -A few POWs

Comment

This is a great thread!

I started doing my family genealogy about two years ago. Of course I knew that my Dad served in the Navy and my grandpa served in WWII, but what shocked me was that I had 13 great-grandfathers who served in the Civil War...all for the Union. Digging deeper, I discovered that I have at least 17 great-grandfathers who served in the Revolutionary War. Let me tell you something, it puts history in a different and more personal context knowing this. It makes you wonder what they went through and what their daily lives were like.

I am proud to be a veteran also, having served 10 years in the Corps. Thank you to all of you serving, past, present and future.

Semper Fi

Comment

I have a great great grandfather who fought in the Civil War, a great uncle who fought in WWII, an uncle who fought in Vietnam (2 purple hearts), a cousin who fought in Desert Storm and a cousin who is a Navy Seal in training. I am grateful for all those who serve. God Bless America!

Comment

In my family, I cannot find a single generation, either on my mothers, or fathers side of the family that doesn't have military service, with the exception of my own. Which I plan to fix that.

Comment

Working...
                X