Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a history of ancestors in the military?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the 6th gen to go to fight for this country on my dads side and the 4th on my mom's side. My dad and his two brother were the first to go army everone else were marines, air forces. Well my grandpa started in the army when it was still the army air corp.

Comment

Well my family on my mothers side my grandfather was a Russian Cossack.He Fought In WWI and The White War.After that the commies were picking up the rest of my family because they were enemies of the state ie teachers,police,writers.Took the males sent them to the coal mines or concripted into the army.
      Well my Grandfather got on his horse and rode off to Vladivostok took a boat to South America and landed in Chile. HE thought he was safe but thier but the commies found my grandfather. In a rush he went off to Brazil and became a cowboy. During that time he contracted the dropps. Almost died there.When was fully recovered He took a boat to Baltimore.

My Great Uncle was the bomerdeer on the Enola Gay.

And I am related to William the Silent.

On my Fathers side, my family was part of the Maryland 300.

My great Uncle was the commandant of Annapolis Naval Academy in the early 80's.

Comment

Civil war, various indian wars, WWI, WWII, East/West Germany border (it's complicated) and Vietnam on Dad's side. WWI on Mom's side. Haiti '95 (does that count?) and soon to be OEF for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=daniel.keough]My great-great-great Uncle, something like that, Lt. Col Myles Keough
          fought and died in the Battle of Little Big Horn. Owner of the sole survivor of the battle, Comanche the horse. top that[/QUOTE]

My great-something grandfather, Cain, killed Abel (the REAL 1st World War)....top THAT! Oh wait....nevermind......

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Milkman]My great-something grandfather, Cain, killed Abel (the REAL 1st World War)....top THAT! Oh wait....nevermind......[/QUOTE]

Haha nice one. :p

Comment

lol great something. If you just going down a few generations, it still makes you about 3000 years old lol

Comment

my dad was Louisiana Guard.
                His father was drafted into Vietnam
                My mom's grandfather I believe was Navy
                I think her dad was navy as well.
                My uncle on my mom's side is currently a Major in USAF

other than that...I haven't researched :o

Comment

My family just finished up our geneology project we've been working on for a while. I thought it was cool I had the same last name as this man when we studied him in school and through the project found out that I really was a decendent of him. He is Maj. Gen. George Edward Pickett. He lead Pickett's charge in the Battle of Gettysburg, which kinda gave him a bad name. Originally being from Louisiana I didn't think there was a chance I was a decendent of him, but now knowing this it makes me even more proud to once again bring the Pickett name back into the Virginia National Guard. It will also be kinda cool when I have training at Ft. Pickett which was named in his honor. Now He's not like my great great great grandfather or anything. He's in my family tree as a great great something uncle. Somehow a branch of the family ended up in Louisiana in the 1900's and now I've brought it back to VA.
                  Last edited by HereWeGoAgain; December 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM.

Comment

GgggGrandfather in Rev War, ggggrandfather and his son were in CW (actually had family on both sides), not sure about WWI, grandfather in WWII, dad during Cold War peace time, many uncles in Nam, me DS and OIF II. I'm sure I missed someone somewhere.

Comment

Reply....

My father was in OP Desert Storm as well. I was in Turkey with him at the time kicked off. It sucked I was I believe 10 and all the civilians had to go back to the states. I remember being on a DC 10 with the seats facing backwards. So when it took off it was a little strange feeling being pressed foward instead of being pressed back in your seat not to mention how loud it was. He was AF, in charge of fuels. Guess a jet came in with damaged landing gear and the rest well im sure you can imagine. He was out there waiting to re-fuel and BOOM! He got lucky to only have a frag go through his wrist and sustained no further injuries. Does AF count lol if so guess I am second in line for my family lol :cool:

Comment

my grandfather was in the battle of the bulge with the 551 parachute infantry battalion and my pops was a 1stLT in 'Nam he was with the 20th engineer knowing me since im greek (yes i know boy lover in which im not ) i probably have ancestors in the spartan days but i have to say "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!"

Comment

Photo....

This is in 81' @ Oscoda AFB

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/jameshall_bucket/111.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

[quote=88m Soldier]This is in 81' @ Oscoda AFB

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/jameshall_bucket/111.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

wow what a beautiful, awesome plane lol

Comment

My family has a long history in the military, mostly Army. A few were in the Marines and Air Force but we still let them come to family functions.
                              My great,great,great,great,great,grandpa was a Lt. for Gen. Washington(I think that is the coolest)
                              Had some great, great,Uncles in the Civil War.
                              An Uncle was a Marine in WW II
                              My Dad was in Viet Nam twice
                              AN uncle was in Air force Viet Nam
                              I was in the first go around in the desert, now in the guard.
                              My kid wants to be a SEAL.

Comment

Civil War and WWII

I have relatives that have fought in the American Civil War (1861-1865) on the Southern side at the Battle of Gettysburg, and I also have a great, great, great, great grandfather who fought on the Federal side at the battle of Vicksburg, where he lost a leg due to a combat wound that entered his knee cap, and shattered right through. He had it amputated, and died years later from it.

In WWII, I have a Great Uncle, who served at Omaha Beach, D-Day (June 6th 1944) but was killed on the beaches after trying to motivate his men to move up to the beach wall. His death, was written in a Journal of one of his fellow soldiers that were later killed, and their journal arrived back home. His name was Captain James C. Lilly

Comment

Working...
                                X