Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Father was in Viet Nam, I have an uncle on my Mother's side that was in Korea, I was in Panama and Desert Storm (and within the next year OIF). The coolest thing is, My 11 year old has told me that he wants to be a computer tech or in teh Army just like me. Sorta makes you proud to hear that your kid wants to follow in your foot steps.

Comment

My grandfather was in the Navy in the late 50's/early 60's. It still ruffles his feathers when he thinks about his old ship or looks at the picture of it hanging in his shed and thinks about it being sunk in Greece to make a reef.

[IMG]http://lst1169.homestead.com/files/images/Dsc002.jpg[/IMG]
      [IMG]http://lst1169.homestead.com/files/images/Dsc004.jpg[/IMG]
      [IMG]http://lst1169.homestead.com/files/images/Dsc006.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Spc Smith]My Father was in Viet Nam, I have an uncle on my Mother's side that was in Korea, I was in Panama and Desert Storm (and within the next year OIF). The coolest thing is, My 11 year old has told me that he wants to be a computer tech or in teh Army just like me. Sorta makes you proud to hear that your kid wants to follow in your foot steps.[/QUOTE]
        That is too cool!:)

Comment

So many of my uncles fought in the Vietnam war and came back effed up. I have seen the drug addiction up close and how they dealt with the Bronx VA as it was shown in the movie Born on the 4th of July. Much respect for those men.

Comment

[QUOTE=MelanieIsAwesome]Awesome! :D I am the only one in my generation who enlisted.[/QUOTE]

So am I, well, to be honest, to my knowledge I am the only one in my entire family that has enlisted, hoping to start a new family "trend" :p

Comment

On my mom's father's side I have ancestors who served in the Virginia militia back to Jamestowne. My 4great-grandfather was commissioned in 1777 and served in The Revolution. His son was commissioned into the Army in 1799 and served in the War of 1812. He was on Jackson's staff and his portrait is hanging in The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home. On Mom's mother's side one ancestor was a ergeant in the Continental Army and his great grandson was in the Civil War, 1st Tennesse Light Artillery (Union Army). Mom's father served in World War I.

Dad was Navy aircrew in Vietnam. On his side not much service is documented. Grandpa fell into that too young for WWI, too old for WWII window. My 6th great grandfather was a Sergeant in the Continental Army and was supposedly at Yorktown. My 3 great grandfather was in the CSA and wounded at Ft. Donelson. He died from the wounds after the war.

This post makes me realize just how big a history/genealogy dork I really am.
              Last edited by ctfrasier; October 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

American Revolution, War Between the States (Civil War to all you Yanks), WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq Maybe some others those are the ones I know offhand.
                Last edited by cyall; November 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Ancestors

I have several ancestors that were involved in the American Revolution and War of 1812. They were part of the New York regiment. I also have several ancestors that fought on the Union side as part of the Illinois Regiment.

I have other ancestors and some living relatives involved in just about every other war the U.S. has been involved in. I don't have the information with me right now, but I can probably tell you what company and battallion they belonged to as well as the period they served for.

Comment

My great-great-great Uncle, something like that, Lt. Col Myles Keough
                    fought and died in the Battle of Little Big Horn. Owner of the sole survivor of the battle, Comanche the horse. top that

Comment

and more recently, My Grandfather, an Uncle, My Dad and my older brother all served/serving in the United States Marine Corp. .....what the hell am i doing in the National Guard?

Comment

My grandfather was a pilot in the Army for 22 years. Was in North Korea and Vietnam. My Uncles, his sons, served in the Army and Navy. A couple of my uncles by marriage were in the Airforce. One at the Pentagon. My biological father was in the Airforce and my step dad was in the Army and went to Vietnam. My cousin was in the Navy....and now....at the ripe old age of 30 I am finally taking my role here and joining. I know I know....bout **** time and what kept me huh.....

Comment

My grandfather was a young seaman at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 1941. He told many a story of helping shoot down a Japanese torpedo bomber with his 50. cal and having the Arizona blow up right before his eyes.

He later retired a Master Chief, having served all over the Pacific, Japan, Korea and China. It's largely because of the inspiration of his service that I'm joining up myself. I just hope he'll forgive me for joining the Guard instead of the Navy ;)

Comment

My grandmother served in a finacial section for the Army in Los Alamos, New Mexico and wrote checks to J. Robert Oppenheimer (atomic bomb creator). She said he would come into the office asking for millions at a time. Her husband (died before I was born) was a tail gunner in a B-25 Mitchell. My step-grandfather served in the Korean War.

Comment

army

my gret great grandad was in ww and 2 dad was in nam and uncle and other family was and still in on war

Comment

My dad, did some research based on family rumors. Seems we are direct relation to a top Nazi leader, and no its not Hitler. I do not support anything of what happened and I think it is very wrong. The suffering was of things that we cant even fathom.

Comment

Working...
                                X