X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me why I should join...

I have been asking people here for a few days now about my questions and so forth. So why should I REALLY join? Everyone that I tell that I am thinking about joining, they tell me that I am crazy, too old (26 is not to old), and always ask me "You know there is a war going on right?". I personally am thinking about joining because I want to be the person my country calls on to help when there is a hurricane, a flood, or any other natural disaster. I want to help my country when it comes in times of terrible situations.

So tell me why I should join. Don't say that I already answered it in my last 2 sentences of that last paragraph. From personal experiences tell me why!!

Thank you!!

I understand what you are asking, however, what someone on here tells you wont help you when you have been away for a year and second guessing your decision to join. No one can tell YOU why to join. They can tell you their reasons though. But remember, the reasons of others wont help you through the tough times.

Are you basically looking for pros and cons to being a member of the best military organization out there? They will be different for every one.
    -comradery
    -life experience
    -service to county
    -family/friends that wont leave you unless for their county
    -discipline
    -college benefits
    -requirement to stay fit rest of your time in (cant just blow it off and say you will do it tomorrow)
    -ability to give back for things you have received in your life
    -knowing you are making a difference
    -leadership skills
    Last edited by WIBecky74; September 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I am not a recruiter so not going to blow smoke up you know where. You need to ask yourself. I came back on active duty at 38 so age is not a reason to not join. But you the one that has to do some soul searching. At 26, you dont need a pro-Guard forum to justify your reasons. Its all propaganda in the end.

If you do base your reasons on this thread then I dont want to see you in an ambush in Hawijah and bullets flying over your head and you cursing out the WO1 Quinones screen name and everyone that I am related to.

Comment

I joined the Army because it never occured to me that I would do anything else in life...

Comment

if you are looking for reasons that you may not have heard befor try joining for all of thaoses out there that are not eligble to join. i am 28 and was going to join but because of a recent development in my life i am now uneligble to join. i would die for the oppertunity you are in ,,, should i join should i not ,,,, B.S. join unless you honistly think you cant tell yourself at the end of the day yes i will give it my all , yes i will die for my country if presented the honor and yes i can benifit from alot of monitary educational and life experiances

Comment

I did it for the t-shirt............

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]I did it for the t-shirt............[/QUOTE]

I'm rather partial of the PT uniform shorts, totally worth the 6 years.

Comment

No you are not too old (I will be 37 when I go in)

Yes, there is a war (or two) going on, is that going to be a problem?

If you need others to convince you to join, then don't. You should not need us to "tell" you why- This is your decision and your life.

James

Comment

I took the Liberty to read your previous posts:

[I]"There are many reasons that I want to join so there is no question about that. I think I phrased my question wrong. I wanted to know if Fort LeonardWood only has Oct 1st available and then not available until January." [/I]

Did I miss something? Sounds like you already have this covered...

Comment

thank you everyone who answered.

i think i do have my answer about joining. but are there as many people who join that regret it as much as there are people who say that they are glad that they joined?

there are people saying no matter what part of the army you join, (reserves, national guard) that recruiters are blowing smoke.

i guess that i just don't want to be mis-led. you know? Just because there might not be as many soldiers as in the past ( from what my recruiter told me) i don't want the my country screwing with me just because they need bodies.

Comment

I am a recruiter, and I don't blow smoke. I give it down and dirty. Will you deploy, I don't know, but it is a very real possibility. Why should you join? If you don't know the answer to that question before you see a recruiter, then don't waste his time. There are several reasons to join, some of them good, and some not so good. Most peoples reasons are not good reasons for other people. Decide what you want to do with your life, and DO IT. We have a saying...plan your work, and work your plan. We (recruiters) don't have all day to help you decide if you want us to help you get help. (WIBECKY...can you say that 3 times real fast :confused: LOL)

Basicly its your life...live it. If joining the guard is something you WANT to do, and use some of the benifits that being a guardsman comes with...go see your recruiter. If not, do your thing. Any recruiter will be willing to help you achieve your goals, no recruiter is going to help you set your goals.

Any Questions?

[QUOTE=jdwyer02]thank you everyone who answered.

i think i do have my answer about joining. but are there as many people who join that regret it as much as there are people who say that they are glad that they joined?

there are people saying no matter what part of the army you join, (reserves, national guard) that recruiters are blowing smoke.

i guess that i just don't want to be mis-led. you know? Just because there might not be as many soldiers as in the past ( from what my recruiter told me) i don't want the my country screwing with me just because they need bodies.[/QUOTE]

Comment

You know what my recruiter told me back in the day?

"You'll get to shoot mother ****ers in the face and blow **** up"

:p

That was the selling point

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]I am a recruiter, and I don't blow smoke. I give it down and dirty. Will you deploy, I don't know, but it is a very real possibility. Why should you join? If you don't know the answer to that question before you see a recruiter, then don't waste his time. There are several reasons to join, some of them good, and some not so good. Most peoples reasons are not good reasons for other people. Decide what you want to do with your life, and DO IT. We have a saying...plan your work, and work your plan. We (recruiters) don't have all day to help you decide if you want us to help you get help. (WIBECKY...can you say that 3 times real fast :confused: LOL)

Basicly its your life...live it. If joining the guard is something you WANT to do, and use some of the benifits that being a guardsman comes with...go see your recruiter. If not, do your thing. Any recruiter will be willing to help you achieve your goals, no recruiter is going to help you set your goals.

Any Questions?[/QUOTE]

Its only 1639, I sure can!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=abninf05]You know what my recruiter told me back in the day?

"You'll get to shoot mother ****ers in the face and blow **** up"

:p

That was the selling point[/QUOTE]

wow that sounds like a Marine Recruiter

"you want to join those candy a55 services then be my guest, we dont need you. go be all that you can be, get an adventure or aim high with those fa**ots, you want to kill for your country, then be one of the few and the proud" lol

OOH RAH!!

Comment

I joined for the beer money... Err, i mean GI bill. I'm not going to lie, i originally joined because i needed cash for school. Now, i cant even explain what the army has done for me. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, camaraderie with people you would not expect, networks that help support you, and most importantly it allows you to contribute to a cause greater then yourself.

The army kicks ***, just remember if you want to blow **** up, get the right MOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X