X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's with this picture??

First, let me be clear, I mean no disrespect to the US Army, USAR, ARNG, or the USMC. The text on the image was already imbedded. Also, this may have been posted before ... but I've recenlty happened up on it.

So, from what I can find out ... this picture was taken by a friend of CPT Alex Wilschke (USMC) at a DFAC somewhere in Iraq. It's pretty obvious what the photographer is not trying to take a picture of the CPT munching on his burger.

So what's with the soldier in the PT Gear and the A2 slung to the rear? Is this guy passing the APFT??

(Note: click on the picture for a full-size [no pun intended] image)
    [URL="http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8319/armystronghooooahwe9.jpg"][IMG]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9056/armystronghooooahoq9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I posted the pic

That pic was sent around our Warrant Class and by no means is that soldier passing his weight and tape. I dont know if he is passing the PT test. Perhaps in that state he can do the minimum pushups and situps but I dont know if he can run and pass the 2 mile. I seen people with lean bodies that cant pass the 2 mile run. It was just a Marine's perspective on the new Army Strong slogan and the typical inter-service rivalry. Nevertheless, I miss "BE ALL YOU CAN BE"

[QUOTE=Oxen72]First, let me be clear, I mean no disrespect to the US Army, USAR, ARNG, or the USMC. The text on the image was already imbedded. Also, this may have been posted before ... but I've recenlty happened up on it.

So, from what I can find out ... this picture was taken by a friend of CPT Alex Wilschke (USMC) at a DFAC somewhere in Iraq. It's pretty obvious what the photographer is not trying to take a picture of the CPT munching on his burger.

So what's with the soldier in the PT Gear and the A2 slung to the rear? Is this gut passing the APFT??

(Note: click on the picture for a full-size [no pun intended] image)
    [URL="http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8319/armystronghooooahwe9.jpg"][IMG]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9056/armystronghooooahoq9.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I've seen people with lean bodies that cant pass the 2 mile run.[/QUOTE]

Ha ... that's me! Running is not my game for some reason. When I saw this pic, I thought if this guy is passing the two-mile run then I really suck! :(

Comment

[QUOTE=Oxen72]Ha ... that's me! Running is not my game for some reason. When I saw this pic, I thought if this guy is passing the two-mile run then I really suck! :([/QUOTE]
        well I do know some big soldiers that cant make weight or tape but score a 300 on the PT test but yes; this soldier is not that example.

Comment

Best workout program ever...

We had a young PFC that looked like when he deployed to the sandbox....I'm told that he was assigned to carry the M60 on all patrols...

Looked like a million bucks when he came home.

Comment

ok, i have seen this pic too and it must be a joke or a photoshop.:eek: ..i can not imagine this "soldier" passing any sort of PT or medical standards...how embarrasing

Comment

My point is not to argue this at all, i'm honestly curious how ya'll know this was in a DFAC overseas. When I first looked at it I thought he was a IET Recruit. They make ya carry around the weapon 24/7.

Yes it gives the general public a not so good outlook when they see someone overweight like that defending their country. But I know a few males and females that are very heavy set that can still pass their APFT. In Bct we had this one male, sweetest one you could ever meet. Southern gentleman from Kentucky. He would help out anyone, give the shirt off his back. He was a BIG male. Messed up his knee towards the beginning too. Had nothing to do with being heavy, it would have happend to anyone in his circumstances. It was really messed up. One of the revolving DS's was actually from his small hometown and didnt want to seem like he was playing favortism. We never knew until the day the DS was leaving. Neither said a word about it. But because they knew each other well, the recruit (at the time) just drove through it. The knee was twice the size it should have been, and he was heavy, but he was the one getting good scores on his APFT and helping MANY others through full gear long road marches. Once in the dark I stepped in a hole, and when you weigh 100 pounds and have over half your weight on your back....you kinda tend to fall down when that happends. I was marching with a sprained ankle and the other ankle was also healing from a sprain. I didnt jump right back up. It was one of those bad days. He was a few behind me. He came along, grabbed a hold of something and stood me right up. He was willing to carry anything I had on. I of course declined this, but he would have taken all my weight off my back, carried my weapon....anything....to help motivate me to drive on. I knew how messed up he was to begin with, and that was motivation enough for me to keep going. Well that and if I didnt finish the march I would have failed something. A DS saw this and also said, Clement, if you dont get your *** moving faster right now we are putting you on the van because I know you are already going against a profile which is a direct order. This DS was also a large male with some rolls going on. He had also hurt himself doing something or another. Oh I remember what it was. We were on an overnight FTX sleeping LITERALLY in the field and he tripped over a fellow DS when we were out on night manuvers and hurt some part of a leg and also a shoulder or arm.

Then I have a friend of a friend who was in for 24 years. He had very messed up feet from a recent deployment. Ended up getting 70% disability from them. He was VERY large. Came back from deployment and knew he was getting discharged within the next year. Kinda started letting things go ontop of a naturally large body. He got close to a 300 on that last PT test. And he was discharged (unwillingly, little story with that one) because they said he couldnt keep up physically anymore. He was also a big motivator for me and helped alot.

I also had a large female Sergeant in Ait. She is AWESOME! She was our squad leader and a classroom instructor. Other platoons would request doing PT with our platoon because she motivated us like crazy in PT. She gave it her all which made us work harder for her. She had us working harder then other platoons, but yet others wanted to get out of their easy PT and do it with us. She had drive in her that i've rarely seen in anyone else. She passed her APFTs out of dedication and motivation.

Yes it may give the military a bad rap. Yes they should have their bodies looking better then what they did in that uniform. However, i'd want them with me in any sticky situation. They performed their jobs just as good if not better then any others i've come in contact with. Just like if you saw me, you would expect about 20 push-ups out of me and muscle failure. Just because i'm a pretty small person. I can do at least three times that. Its not always in the body, but the heart and soul.

Yes you can see by the picture that male is huge and looks like he could not perform. But one never knows. I'm not here to judge how someone looks. I am here to have peers and superiors that can do their part. He could have very well hurt himself saving a persons life and now has some profile or something that doesnt alllow him to keep up physically. We dont know. I think we should all worry about ourselves being an asset to the Army and not judging another unless we know the whole story.

Comment

I think the pic is funny as hell ............. come on guys/girls........lighten up!
                if a potential recruit reads this and takes everything so seriously, man there really hate life in basic.... thick skin remember! :D :D :D

Comment

thick skin oops.... prabably wrong choice of words sorry.......

Comment

That is pretty much my point. There are some overweight potential recruits out there that are using this as a recruiting site and see how bodies are being made fun of. Kind of discouraging to them with others picking on the big male. Some would say well then its a good motivation picture, but not all minds think alike.

Comment

Wibecky I do agree with what you say, but if a potential recruit gets offendeded by a little ribbing of a fat guy in a picture....... I pray they are not that fat guy in basic. you know as well as i whats gonna happen. All im saying its cool to be PC and all but no need for over kill

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]My point is not to argue this at all, i'm honestly curious how ya'll know this was in a DFAC overseas. When I first looked at it I thought he was a IET Recruit. They make ya carry around the weapon 24/7.

[/QUOTE]

I never saw a Marine skipper hang out at an Army IET DFAC before lol. This could of been Kuwait, Iraq or Afghanistan. Trainees carry weapons around 24/7 and learn to clear in a clearing barrel all the time because of numerous ADs that happened downrange. Believe me; I have seen this type of soldier before. I saw a female in Army PTs bigger than this guy and it was supposedly due to her glands and some other hormone issue. She had a profile and was fighting getting kicked out. But she was a wobbler.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]That is pretty much my point. There are some overweight potential recruits out there that are using this as a recruiting site and see how bodies are being made fun of. Kind of discouraging to them with others picking on the big male. Some would say well then its a good motivation picture, but not all minds think alike.[/QUOTE]
                          Our country right now has a major overweight/obese issue and if this can be used as an incentive; then so be it. Everybody is so PC now and days; the Bill of Rights is not what is used to be. Like in the movie Tropic Thunder, they closed the Simple Jack website because you couldnt say the R (mentally challenged) word or that it insulted those people. Jeez, im censoring myself lol.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]My point is not to argue this at all, i'm honestly curious how ya'll know this was in a DFAC overseas. When I first looked at it I thought he was a IET Recruit. They make ya carry around the weapon 24/7.

Yes it gives the general public a not so good outlook when they see someone overweight like that defending their country. But I know a few males and females that are very heavy set that can still pass their APFT. In Bct we had this one male, sweetest one you could ever meet. Southern gentleman from Kentucky. He would help out anyone, give the shirt off his back. He was a BIG male. Messed up his knee towards the beginning too. Had nothing to do with being heavy, it would have happend to anyone in his circumstances. It was really messed up. One of the revolving DS's was actually from his small hometown and didnt want to seem like he was playing favortism. We never knew until the day the DS was leaving. Neither said a word about it. But because they knew each other well, the recruit (at the time) just drove through it. The knee was twice the size it should have been, and he was heavy, but he was the one getting good scores on his APFT and helping MANY others through full gear long road marches. Once in the dark I stepped in a hole, and when you weigh 100 pounds and have over half your weight on your back....you kinda tend to fall down when that happends. I was marching with a sprained ankle and the other ankle was also healing from a sprain. I didnt jump right back up. It was one of those bad days. He was a few behind me. He came along, grabbed a hold of something and stood me right up. He was willing to carry anything I had on. I of course declined this, but he would have taken all my weight off my back, carried my weapon....anything....to help motivate me to drive on. I knew how messed up he was to begin with, and that was motivation enough for me to keep going. Well that and if I didnt finish the march I would have failed something. A DS saw this and also said, Clement, if you dont get your *** moving faster right now we are putting you on the van because I know you are already going against a profile which is a direct order. This DS was also a large male with some rolls going on. He had also hurt himself doing something or another. Oh I remember what it was. We were on an overnight FTX sleeping LITERALLY in the field and he tripped over a fellow DS when we were out on night manuvers and hurt some part of a leg and also a shoulder or arm.

.[/QUOTE]

Amazing story! it appears now and days there is always some story like this in IET since I been witnessing so many broke soldiers there and in AIT. My boot stories in the Army and Marine Corps never had this. I only been in training that never had females so I dont know. None of the guys that I went to basic with never broke in our training cycles. Just alot of fighting amongst ourselves; constant PT and blanket parties. Plus fighting alot in the house mouse shed. It was awesome. I would love to witness a full training cycle and observe. Just watching those trainees in The Recruiter on HBO showed me alot about how IET is now. Wow!
                            Last edited by WO1 Quinones; August 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]Our country right now has a major overweight/obese issue and if this can be used as an incentive; then so be it. Everybody is so PC now and days; the Bill of Rights is not what is used to be. Like in the movie Tropic Thunder, they closed the Simple Jack website because you couldnt say the R (mentally challenged) word or that it insulted those people. Jeez, im censoring myself lol.[/QUOTE]

WOW I think this is the first time I agree with you sir,

Comment

Working...
                              X