X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARNG Vs. Air Force?

Recently,i have let my other relatives know of my intentions of joining military,particularly the National guard. I have a cousin who is in the Air Force,he's been there for like 13-20 years.. he told me yesterday that Air Force is way better and instead join the Air Force. Though he sounds very convincing(he told me that National Guard guys doesn't deploy as much as them and Airmen have better base and such).. i still have second thoughts because i feel like my cousin sounds biased. My father wants me to be in Air Force now because of their reputation of being the "cushiest" of all the branch(I don't know if thats true)

I would like to ask,to any of you guys out there who have serve both in Air Force and National Guard(or have a relative that did) about your experiences,what is the difference between the two,which has better benefits for younger people who are thinking of college or those who would like to travel more and which one do you prefer? I want to make sure i know alot about this two branches before making a decision.

Thank you in advance.

Air Force has better food. Although I cant complain much about the food i've experienced so far in the Guard. Guard has better college benefits. AF has shorter deployments, not sure about frequency. Are you looking at the AF Guard or fulltime?

Comment

The Air Force has better everything minus their new uniforms. But, I would say fallow your heart on this. I would never give up the Army though.

Comment

It's all about what you want and what you can tolerate. My father is retired from the Air Force and I spent much time living on an Air Force Base. Their living quarters had always been better, and the Regular Army has only in recent years been catching up. They don't go anywhere without air conditioning, and get to play with the latest toys. They deploy for shorter amounts of time, and only the lucky ones go to Iraq or Afghanistan. Most support from Uzbekistan, Qatar, Kuwait, or Bahrain. So if you like creature comforts and a more civilian office type of atmosphere then it's probably for you. If you don't mind belonging to an organization that accidentally flew nuclear warheads over our Midwest, and sent errantly sent some ICBM parts to Taiwan, and spent who knows how much on a completely impractical Airman Battle Uniform (and from their top brass, meant for garrison wear, but includes the word "battle"), and has so far spent millions developing a comfort capsule for their generals to ride in style on military aircraft, then the Air Force is for you.

But honestly, nothing wrong with choosing the AF. The ordinary airman abhors these decisions made by their senior leadership. And I love the AC-130.

Now if you don't mind sucking, then join the Army. Seriously, the Army sucks, but that's what I love about it. You get sweaty, dirty, people yell a lot, tell the crudest, most inappropriate jokes, and don't forget the frustrating but necessary "hurry up and wait." The harder and more dangerous your career has been, the prouder you become. Ask any Marine or Soldier. Suffering builds character.

Comment

And the Air Force (even Air Guard) travels to friendlier places. There was a guy in my squad in OCS that was a former Airman in the guard, and during his deployment, went to every continent except for Africa. Yes, he has been to Antarctica.

ARNG will be better for college if you time it right. Join a unit that has just deployed and you could get most of your degree done before your unit deploys again. Joining a deployed unit is the preferred tactic for those getting out of Active Duty Service, but still have an obligation.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Comment

When I was first interested in the military it was the Air Force security forces. I heard from ex-Marines that the Air Force was the way to go, good food, housing and such so I was hooked. I contacted a recruiter but was too young at the time. Once I turned 17 their was a new recruiter assigned to my school. I called his office about six or seven time always a message new a call back. Then the Nation Guard came to talk to me sold me on College Benefits and such, and they seemed to want me to join. By check up on me and such via the phone. Then I went ahead and signed on the dotted line and swore in, and I am 100% glad the Air Force never called me back. Thats me tho =P

Comment

Their pillows are better and the Army doesn't get mints included with theirs.

We also don't frequent the dry cleaners as much.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Comment

your relative is right

But if you are confused about which one is nicer; then I suggest that you talk to each branch's recruiter and weigh the pros and cons. The Army and Air Force both have a reserve and national guard component and the Navy and Marine Corps just have a reserve component. So I suggest, think of what job that you like to pursue and talk to each service and find out the best offer they can give you. My cousin and his son was/are in the Air Force and Air Guard respectively. They fear the Army and Marines and call us crazy but that is just the mindset. In Iraq; I was briefly on an AF Fob (Warrior) and all the soldiers were surrounded by Air Force honnies. Anyway, good luck in whatever route you take. Your options today are enormous.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/wo1.jpg[/IMG]
                Last edited by louis.quinones; August 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I just got back from Lackland AFB for a graduation. And everything said above is true about them having all the creature comforts. My buddies dad is a retired Lt.Col and his uncle is a retired Col. And they gave me a hard time about being in the Army and what not. I gave it right back. They have dorms they sleep in we have barracks, they have a satchel pouch and canteen we have rucksacks and IBA's. They carry around fake rifels for BT (unless on a range) we carried real ones all the time, I prefer to be in the mud and rain. Its just me. Id rather face the enemy face to face than 15,000ft above. Unless you want to go into Pararescue or combat controllers (thats like there elite forces) then go for it. Ive heard they are pretty high speed. As far as the base being nicer, Lackland was kinda dumpy. Just my .02

Comment

JD,
                    The good Warrant officer is correct. Here is my two cents. I'm a former Marine I raised 3 children a boy two girls. I trained them like grunts up until age of 18. They seen the benefits of military life in general my last active duty tour I did consecutive accompany tours to Okinawa Japan. When they graduate HS I really push them to serve in some compacity. To be honest I encouraged them to join the Air Force. Why? Countless reason some already mentioned. My son joined the reserves as a Air medic he made SRA BTZ in a year and SSGT in 3 years. He graduated from Wright State with a BSN now he is 1LT (25) and now he is a Flt.Nurse living like a phat rat in a cheese factory. He has excelled in ever military school he has attended and graduated (1st) every time. He accredits all his success to the Marine Corps up bringing through me. He wishes everyday that he was a Soldier or a Marine. Why? RESPECT, CAMARADERIE, and ESPIRIT DE CORPS. Daughter same thing honor grad BMT, and security forces. She is a AIC (22)up for BTZ SRA. She attending Wright State and she is going to follow her brothers footsteps. The baby she is undecided my hunch she will be a fire pisser like her ole man! She will always one up her sibilings that is the beauty of it. Bottom line research, research, and research! Like they say "the grass is always greener on the other side until you get there"! I love the Marine Corps no doubt....I wished I joined the Army in my 20's not in my 40's! Better late than never huh! Good luck and happy hunting!

Comment

[QUOTE=JDGoesARmY?]Recently,i have let my other relatives know of my intentions of joining military,particularly the National guard. I have a cousin who is in the Air Force,he's been there for like 13-20 years.. he told me yesterday that Air Force is way better and instead join the Air Force. Though he sounds very convincing(he told me that National Guard guys doesn't deploy as much as them and Airmen have better base and such).. i still have second thoughts because i feel like my cousin sounds biased. My father wants me to be in Air Force now because of their reputation of being the "cushiest" of all the branch(I don't know if thats true)

I would like to ask,to any of you guys out there who have serve both in Air Force and National Guard(or have a relative that did) about your experiences,what is the difference between the two,which has better benefits for younger people who are thinking of college or those who would like to travel more and which one do you prefer? I want to make sure i know alot about this two branches before making a decision.

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

I was prior service AF for 8 years...Now a Guard recruiter...What do you want to know?

Comment

[quote=7011USMC]JD,
                        My son joined the reserves as a Air medic he made SRA BTZ in a year and SSGT in 3 years. He graduated from Wright State with a BSN now he is 1LT (25) and now he is a Flt.Nurse living like a phat rat in a cheese factory. He has excelled in ever military school he has attended and graduated (1st) every time. He accredits all his success to the Marine Corps up bringing through me. He wishes everyday that he was a Soldier or a Marine. Why? RESPECT, CAMARADERIE, and ESPIRIT DE CORPS. Daughter same thing honor grad BMT, and security forces. She is a AIC (22)up for BTZ SRA. She attending Wright State and she is going to follow her brothers footsteps. The baby she is undecided my hunch she will be a fire pisser like her ole man! She will always one up her sibilings that is the beauty of it. Bottom line research, research, and research! Like they say "the grass is always greener on the other side until you get there"! I love the Marine Corps no doubt....I wished I joined the Army in my 20's not in my 40's! Better late than never huh! Good luck and happy hunting![/quote]

I know you are very proud devil dog of their accomplishments regardless they didnt become a devil dog/devil pup as well :)

Comment

[QUOTE=louis.quinones]I know you are very proud devil dog of their accomplishments regardless they didnt become a devil dog/devil pup as well :)[/QUOTE]

I remember pinning gold bars on him like yesterday....My eyes were sweating to say the least! I'm prouder that they turned out to be productive citizens and serving there country.:D

Comment

i served 6 years in the air force on active duty and 5 years in the reserve. the air force has jobs that are more technical speaking. i decided to come back into the army guard because i see the army as more "hands on" and they tend to get their hands dirty. it just depends on the job you want to do in my opinion. if you want a technical job that is ho-hum go air force or if you want to get down and dirty and do something....go army! :D

Comment

Hello, I am in kind of the same boat as I am trying to figure out how I want to re-enter the military on a part time basis. I am prior active duty USMC so I'm not really worried about "cushy" or "nicer" this or that. After slugging around in the FMF you pretty much learn to adapt to whatever.

I'm just looking for a mission that is a good fit for what I want to to do and fits with where my life has taken me (Family and Professionally.)

I'm actually debating USAF-R, Army NG and Navy Reserves (FMF Corpsman)

If you want to know, as people have asked, I am not looking at the USMC Reserves because I am interested in serving in a medical field which the USMC does not offer.

I think the best thing to do, which is what I am doing, is find out as much as you can about each MOS/Branch/Unit before speaking to a recruiter. That way you have a baseline of knowledge and will probably have specific questions that he/she can answer. After that it just comes down to an informed decision as to what is the best fit for YOU.

S/F
                              -Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X