X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

I just received my first Leave and Earnings Statement and had a quick question. As an E-3 I got about $211 for drill, and I had $46 taken out for taxes and $56 taken out for SGLI. Is this always going to be the amount taken out for SGLI? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Holy crap....$56? It will be every month unless you submit paperwork to change it.

I do the minimum. I got my main NY Life, State employee minimum, USAA minimum and SGLI minimum.

But its up to you.

Just thought of this, the $56 could also be them deducting twice and then it will be less the next. I think I had that happen to me with my first. Not sure. Check up on it.

Comment

[QUOTE=wibadger10]I just received my first Leave and Earnings Statement and had a quick question. As an E-3 I got about $211 for drill, and I had $46 taken out for taxes and $56 taken out for SGLI. Is this always going to be the amount taken out for SGLI? Thanks in advance for any replies![/QUOTE]

Did you go a month with out paing SGLI? I pay $28 a month. It sounds like you got 2 months in there. What did the previous month say?

Comment

I thought that sounded like a bit much. This is my first paycheck, so I thought maybe it was a one-time only thing? I will probably wait to see what my next one is, but if it's still that much, how would I go about getting that fixed?

Comment

[QUOTE=wibadger10]I thought that sounded like a bit much. This is my first paycheck, so I thought maybe it was a one-time only thing? I will probably wait to see what my next one is, but if it's still that much, how would I go about getting that fixed?[/QUOTE]

If you want to change your SGLI, see your readiness NCO if you have completed basic. If you are still in RSP let your recruiter, or RSP Cadre know of your decision

Comment

[QUOTE=wibadger10]I just received my first Leave and Earnings Statement and had a quick question. As an E-3 I got about $211 for drill, and I had $46 taken out for taxes and $56 taken out for SGLI. Is this always going to be the amount taken out for SGLI? Thanks in advance for any replies![/QUOTE]

It is because you are eligible for sgli as soon as you sign so you began a debt. now that your debt is paid it should be 26 to 29 a month.

Comment

When did you enlist? I enlisted on November 28 and when the check was deposited from my December drill they took out SGLI for November also. Assuming you chose $400k in insurance, it should be $28 per month from here on.

Comment

[QUOTE=shutterm4]It is because you are eligible for sgli as soon as you sign so you began a debt. now that your debt is paid it should be 26 to 29 a month.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that makes sense then. I signed June 19th, so they must have deducted June and July. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

[QUOTE=wibadger10]Okay, that makes sense then. I signed June 19th, so they must have deducted June and July. Thanks for the replies everyone![/QUOTE]

Yup, that is what I was getting at. Cuz I think it happened to me too. But not only was it deducted 2x, it was the wrong amount as I specifically did NOT choose the highest coverage.

Fat fingered......

Comment

[QUOTE=wibadger10]Okay, that makes sense then. I signed June 19th, so they must have deducted June and July. Thanks for the replies everyone![/QUOTE]

By reg, all service members are automatically signed up for the max unless they specify otherwise. Somewhere somehow years ago a Soldier died before he had updated his SGLI, and his widow was left penniless, so while some people think that this is a government plot to screw them out of $28, it's actually a government plot to protect your widows/ers. Interesting side note, SGLI rates are going down.

Comment

Exactly! After going through 42A Ait, and hearing horror story upon horror story, it is in your best interest. I went through the exact same thing, same dollar amount. That is exactly what happend, you enlisted, didnt go to RSP that month, and both months SGLI were taken out. Gosh forbid, but if something had happend to you in June, you would have been covered which is a good thing.

Comment

MAJ Ritchie, how much will it be going down?

Comment

Go to your NCO then S-1

They can check with finance to get your SGLI fixed. Man, no warrant officer avatar. What is wrong with this place :)

Comment

I enlisted on the 28th of June, will the SGLI be pulled for the month of June ? I am also in limbo status with the Colorado Guard, and thus I expect my first drill check to reflect the three months of not drilling.

Comment

Probably so. You can request to make up those drills, but you have to do so prior to the end of the fiscal year, and some units require you to do it prior to the following months drill.

Check with your readiness NCO.

Comment

Working...
                              X