X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior College

Has anyone attended a course through them online? I've heard others mention they have attended that are in the Guard/AD and it seems they work well with military life. Curious if anyone in here has had the opportunity to deal with them.

i dont know about excelsior, but i am using ashworth university online. very good (and hard) school and they are acredited too.

Comment

Turning this post into a critique of online schools...
      I'd would advise solders not to go to American Military University based on its name. I've had two friends in the Guard take classes and they both complained about poor (and one occasion, negative) support from instructors.
      My advice to anyone is to find a brick-and-mortar school that offers click-and-mortar classess and degrees. I'm certain there are very good online-only universities, but just do a lot of research first.

Comment

Excelsior is actually one you can physically attend and/or take it online. An ex that is in the Guard and alot of his friends have in the past and currently go through them and they say its great. But its one circle of friends and I was just looking for some input from others. From what they say alot of the instructors are prior service and they give out extensions for work related things that come up. Well according to them anyways.

Comment

Excelsior

They have a nursing program online.

I had one of my nurses who went through Excelsior. They have eligibility reqs for nurses, one of them being that if you were an army medic you qualify to be in their online program.

They have since added a clinical component to the nursing curriculum. And on top of that Ex tests are given and paid for at DANTES educational centers. The military pays for those tests along with CLEPS (college level equivalency Program) tests.

However, if one wishes to go there for nursing online one has to get a state license from a state board that recognizes Excelsior. (Some states do not.) Which is why the school initiated a clinical component.

He was a sharp nurse, and was making substantially more then I was during my residency with only an associates degree from Excelsior in nursing.

However, going to a regionally accredited state university with classes that they may have online might make your state tuition assistance go a little further in helping you finance your education.

Comment

Here is a very good school

[url]www.franklin.edu[/url]

I attended The University of Cincinnati for 2 years before transferring to Franklin. Finished online with them, even though they are based out of Columbus Ohio and have a legit campus etc. They gave me a lot of credits for my military schools and education as well.

Very well structured classes, web based programs were well set up and the faculty was always helpful and considerate when training made it hard for me to meet deadlines.

Comment

My thanks to both of you for the information.

Comment

Re: Excelsior

[QUOTE=BoopMD]They have a nursing program online.

I had one of my nurses who went through Excelsior. They have eligibility reqs for nurses, one of them being that if you were an army medic you qualify to be in their online program.

They have since added a clinical component to the nursing curriculum. And on top of that Ex tests are given and paid for at DANTES educational centers. The military pays for those tests along with CLEPS (college level equivalency Program) tests.

However, if one wishes to go there for nursing online one has to get a state license from a state board that recognizes Excelsior. (Some states do not.) Which is why the school initiated a clinical component.

He was a sharp nurse, and was making substantially more then I was during my residency with only an associates degree from Excelsior in nursing.

However, going to a regionally accredited state university with classes that they may have online might make your state tuition assistance go a little further in helping you finance your education.[/QUOTE]

This is good news! I was just looking at the DANTES website last night and was wondering what the eligibility requirements for Excelsior's Nursing program was. It looks like I'm going to have to do online classes since my local college only has daytime classes.

Quick question for anyone living in IL. What are the eligibility requirements for DANTES for our state? The website isn't much help due to the different requirements of each state.

Comment

Re: Excelsior College

Welcome to the future, necroposter.

Comment

Well at least they are using the seach feature, cant fault him for that.

Comment

We had some guy from Kaplan University come by. It sounds like a really good school, and they're accredited as well, so check them out.

Comment

[QUOTE=RSP NCO]Well at least they are using the seach feature, cant fault him for that.[/QUOTE]

Thank you RSP NCO! I see this forum is full of people who don't have the discipline to keep their useless thoughts to themselves when they don't have an answer or anything constructive to say. Regardless of how old the original thread is, it's better to keep it going instead of starting a similar thread that may have a few answers or 1,000. The point is, is that the thread has [B]USEFUL INFORMATION[/B] for people that may need it in the future. By the way HeelToe, I didn't have any use for the information contained in this thread in 2008. :rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE=Charlie_Hustle]Thank you RSP NCO! I see this forum is full of people who don't have the discipline to keep their useless thoughts to themselves when they don't have an answer or anything constructive to say. Regardless of how old the original thread is, it's better to keep it going instead of starting a similar thread that may have a few answers or 1,000. The point is, is that the thread has [B]USEFUL INFORMATION[/B] for people that may need it in the future. By the way HeelToe, I didn't have any use for the information contained in this thread in 2008. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's ok, sweetie. I love necroposting as much as the next guy. :)

Comment

[QUOTE=HeelToeSTi]It's ok, sweetie. I love necroposting as much as the next guy. :)[/QUOTE]

Sweetie? Which speach do I need to give, the DADT, or the Harrassment :D

Disclosure:
                            If your a female, that doesnt make it right

If your a male, that doesnt make it right

BLUF: I could care less, got hung up on someone actually being friendly around here lately:D

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]Sweetie? Which speach do I need to give, the DADT, or the Harrassment :D

Disclosure:
                              If your a female, that doesnt make it right

If your a male, that doesnt make it right

BLUF: I could care less, got hung up on someone actually being friendly around here lately:D[/QUOTE]

Haha. Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X