X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to prepare beret

We don't wear them anymore for normal duty days, the PC is the standard head gear(thank ******* God!). Like active duty we only wear them during special occassions/ceremonies and with the ASU's.

As for cleaning, what I do is I soak the beret in mildly warm water and soap in a sink. I wash it by hand and I gently wring it out, then I reshape it on my head while still damp and let it air dry in that shape.

Comment

do u ever shave it? or do you use the sweater lint shaver thing? and thanks a bunch for the help :)

Comment

[QUOTE=armywife85;157355]do u ever shave it? or do you use the sweater lint shaver thing? and thanks a bunch for the help :)[/QUOTE]

Use a cheap, disposable, one blade razor. You are not shaving it to remove lint balls, you are shaving off the fuzzy excess wool. Your get a much smoother look to it. The lint ball machines won't do anything.

Use a very light touch when you shave it so you don't shave a little hole in it though.

Comment

[QUOTE=armywife85;157341]ok so he'll have to get a new one. but when it comes time to clean the new one, how should i go about it? i've heared so many answers and i just dont know. hes not a mechanic hes a Mat Tech so we dont need to worry about grease, just welding dust and sweat. i dont want to be the one ruining his berets, how do u clean yours Sgt. Juggernaut?[/QUOTE]

Ma'am, you seem to not understand our responses. The Beret is only used now when you are in dress uniform; going to a ball or special ceremony like a Change of Command. Your husband does not have to clean vehicles in his beret but to wear the hat that looks like a baseball cap.

The point being is that your husband should only wear the Beret maybe once a year so put it in plastic wrap and it should last for decades.

Comment

In my 8 years, I think I only went through 2 berets. Even being infantry, I was never in a position where it was getting filthy regularly.

Comment

I'm 8 years in this July... And I'm still rocking my 2 Original berets. And now that I only have to wear em for special functions, my goal is to make em last till 20 lol

Comment

Re: Beret problems

Most PX's have them. Camp Withycombe in Oregon, soooo convenient. Not sure on your situation. Since we don't wear our berets, and they're a pain to clean, get a freezer size zip lock bag and throw it in there. You won't ever have to clean it again, making your Green/blue inspec that much more of a breeze.

What's the tough part of shaving it though? You're working way too hard. They have electric razors for fabrics. The name is slipping my mind

Comment

Working...
                X