X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beret problems

I know it's a small issue for most people, but I've been having problems with my headgear for what seems like forever. I have a couple of questions. Is there anyplace where I can purchase a pre-shaven beret (because I just can't seem to shave mine correctly), and what can I buy to repair the leather on my first beret that I knicked with a razor? Also, does anyone actually dry clean their beret, or will dry cleaning mess it up?

[url]www.rangerjoes.com[/url]

Do NOT dry clean.

Comment

I believe [url]www.rangerjoes.com[/url] has preshaven berets.

I just throw mine in to the wash and wash it. What i did to my beret to get the look and fit it has now was wet the top, shave it with a disposable razor (of course, be careful and such) moisten the top again and form it to the shape you want, and wear it for about 10 mins. Worked great for me.

Comment

I would think any beret would need shaved as it wears out. There used to be a special sort of electric razor for sweaters that would be great. It was like a Norelco razor with larger holes in the screen.

Comment

Yea Ranger Joes should have some shaved berets maybe even shaped. If not get one of your buddies on drill to shave it for you. I used to shave my buddies because for some odd reason God graced me with the ability to shave and shape berets really well. To shape how water will work best and then wear it as stated above. This might take a couple of times to get a good shape. Just be gentle when you shave the beret and it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Oh no! I just washed my beret and the blue flash came off! And I can't find the thing.

Comment

I know this sounds weird but trust me on this. Once you get your new beret, cut the tab to where it looks right, then get it soaking wet and then shave it. To get that "high speed, low drag" look, jump in the shower with it on and then shape it while it's wet. Works like a charm.

Comment

Do you all know of any other reputable website that sells berets, especially pre-shaped/shaven? Ranger Joes just has the regular beret.

Comment

[url]http://www.armedforcesmcss.us/cart.php?target=product&product_id=700&category_id=97[/url]

As anyone ever ordered from these guys?

Comment

I know this sounds funny, but I was reading this thred and I was wondering what do you mean by shaving your beret? Im not in the military but just got curious...so does it mean what it sounds like...do you actually shave it?? anyways, just curious...thanks

Comment

The beret sheds like a cat.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nicsok123]I know this sounds funny, but I was reading this thred and I was wondering what do you mean by shaving your beret? Im not in the military but just got curious...so does it mean what it sounds like...do you actually shave it?? anyways, just curious...thanks[/QUOTE]

Yep. You shave it with one of those disposable razors until you can see the pattern of the material. Then every so often afterwards you also shave it....somehow it grows back. lol And there is some cardboard in the front of it that you cut out, wet the entire beret (hot water works best) and wear the thing to shape it to how it should be.

Comment

Best way to prepare beret

First off don't take direction from a weekend warrior ever lol.
                          Do not wash it in a machine.
                          Burn it instead of taking a razor to it.
                          Take clean brush to it and remove the ashes.
                          Put it in a freezer for a while than take it out and form it to your head
                          Put it back in freezer after formed.

You can take a razor to it if you want but it looks like crap and it takes a lot longer to do.

I got these directions from someone who wears a green beret :D

10TH Mountain Sgt.

Out
                          Last edited by 10th Mountain Sgt.; April 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

With all due respect, Some of us werent always weekend warriors, sgt. After 4 yrs of not wearing mine, mine retained the shape i gave it when i was active duty. Did everything you suggested minus theburning part. I do need a new beret though.

Comment

I shaved my Beret, wetted it and formed it, and it looks **** good. When you shave it, make sure that you shave both the inside and outside of it, otherwise the fuzz grows back. You will probably have to shave it a couple time before it looks right. After its shaved just mold it to your head and let it sit til it dries.

Comment

Working...
                              X