Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

IRR request

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IRR request

    I have currently served 21 yrs of service and have 12 yrs to the good. I no longer have an MSO but currently serve in the Pa Guard and have only a yr and a half to go. Due to my current job responsibilities and TDY trips it conflicts with my drills. I live over 60 miles if not more to my armory. My understanding is I should not be denied a request to transfer into the IRR. Is this true and since I do not want to join another unit nor advance in promotion due to slots are taken. I have done three mobilizations in five years as well, does this help? What steps do I take?


  • #2
    What is your end-game here? Do you need a unit closer to home? Do you need a drill assignment with greater flexibility? Do you need a break from drilling for a year, but expect to drill again after that?

    Be careful about how you define your problem, and how you envision your goal. I'm not sure, but I'm getting the vibe that with your situation, an IRR transfer might not be the best solution to your problem. Tell us some more about what you want to accomplish.


    • #3
      irr request

      Bottom line sir is I want to be discharged from the remainder of my contract. I'm currently over the fifty mile radius and the only three units around me are excess E-5 and cannot take me. With my current career as a DOD contractor, I travel a lot not to mention the gas I use traveling to and from drill. Do I need to fill out a 4187 or 368 for hardship or ING? I am being told you can only request ING if your a year out from ETS.

      SGT Boyer


      • #4
        If you have completed your initial eight-year MSO (which you have, if you have 12+ years of service), then all that's remaining is your ETS on your current enlistment. Once you reach ETS, you're out of the Army completely, with the the thanks of a grateful nation for your service.

        You should speak with your 1SG and commander about an early discharge, based on job conflict. You may need to pay back some or all of any bonus you received for your last contract.

        If you are IRR or ING, you still have a military status, and are still subject to mobilization. Of the two, I recommend ING, since that limits your exposure to mobilization far more than the IRR.


        • #5
          Can you go from IRR -> ING?

          Whats the difference?


          • #6
            What is ING?


            • #7
              [QUOTE=SteveLord]Can you go from IRR -> ING?

              Whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

              One may not go directly from the IRR to the ING. One must spend at least a day in a drilling unit.

              The [B]Individual Ready Reserve [/B]is a [URL=""]control group of the US Army Reserve[/URL] [AKO login required to view the link]. Membership allows a service member to [URL=""]maintain military status[/URL], with no formal training or participation requirements (although voluntary training for retirement points; or for pay is authorized, if funding is available). IRR members still have their records reviewed by promotion boards, and can be promoted (or not, which is a problem, particularly for IRR officers who don't keep their OPMF records updated). IRR time counts for longevity for pay purposes, but only counts for retirement if one earns the minimum number of points yearly (through paid or unpaid drills, or through military distance learning courses).

              Years ago, people spent years in the IRR without even knowing it. The problem nowadays with the IRR is that we're using it for what it was intended for -- a pool of trained individuals upon whom to call if a deploying unit needs some fillers. IRR members may be called up by all three components of the total Army (active, USAR, and ARNG). IRR Soldiers get callback notices every week. That's why I recommend against IRR time for anyone -- either be all the way in, or all the way out. At least if you're in a unit and you get mobilized, you'll go with your friends ... not as a rented mule for some strangers.

              Service members who have not completed their eight year statutory military service obligation (MSO) are generally transferred to the IRR at their ETS date, and (unless they take action otherwise) are discharged from the IRR when their statutory MSO expires.

              [URL=""]IRR press release[/URL].

              The [B]Inactive National Guard (ING) [/B]is a control group of the ARNG. While in the ING, a Soldier remains on his unit's roster as a mobilization asset, but is only required to drill one day per year (a "muster" with his unit). ING Soldiers are still subject to mobilization, but only by their home state. Thus, their exposure to mobilization is dramatically less than in the IRR. ING time, however, does not count towards fulfilling one's enlistment contract or MSO; nor for retirement. Your clock is basically paused in the ING.

              The ING is designed for people who need a year away from drill for personal reasons (e.g., messy divorce, PhD dissertation, Mormon missionary obligation, serious illness), but plan to come back to the unit.


              • #8
                I have a question I have 20 months left on Irr my unit just got back can I still drill with them or another unit with out reenlisted I was told could but my unit say no only if I reenlist


                • #9
                  [QUOTE=funnyeagle]I have a question I have 20 months left on Irr my unit just got back can I still drill with them or another unit with out reenlisted I was told could but my unit say no only if I reenlist[/QUOTE]

                  Your statement is a little hard for me to understand. I'm guessing that you signed a six year enlistment contract originally, were involuntarily extended for a few months while mobilized, and you're approaching your ETS date. If you do nothing, you'll be transferred into the IRR. If you want to continue to drill, you'll need to re-enlist for the remainder of your MSO (which you stated is 20 months). If you sign up for three years, you may be eligible for a bonus.