Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find out why your mother doesnt want you to join? Is it because you will be away from home? war? or something else. Talk to her and dont be defensive but more open and understanding. Its easier to get both stories when there isnt any fighting. Get your father involved, he supports you but wont make a choice. He is involved also. Come to a conclusion as a family. But you can always just wait til your 18, but try not to burn bridges.

Comment

My parents were the exact same way. I had a recruiter sit down with them and speak to them about all the positive influences the guard would have on my life. Basically my parents yelled at the recruiter and totally disaproved of my decision. For a while I thought that I would just wait until I was 18 and join wether the liked it or not. Once I turned 18 I actually came to the relization that my parents raised me to be who I was and were the biggest influence on my life. I did everything I needed to do including going to MEPS but did not fully enlist until the day I got my dads approval and the support from my mother I had always longed for. Joining the guard was the best decision I have ever made. Just try to show them all the good things the guard will do for you but do not disown your parents just because they disapprove. Continue to show them that this is what you want and that your serious about this and with enough persuasion they will most likely come around. I read in another post a wile bak someone said something about your dad feeling that stronger handshake at graduation and your mom feeling that tighter hug. And that's what its all about.
      Good luck and stay strong,
      Pv2.Jalette

Comment

parents don't want to outlive their own children, it's not natural and in this day and age they will be terrified you'll be shipped off and they'll never see you again, never see your smile, never hold you, never tell you they love you just one more time. That's why they don't want you to join.

Serving ones country is the best, most respectable thing a person could do. Ask your mum if she'd prefer you as some smacked up, drugged out junkie or if she'd prefer to see her son as an upstanding, well educated, disciplined, loving man who she'd proudly call her all American son.

Ask her if she'd prefer to introduce you to her friends as her unemployed, slacker son, or her strong, handsom, man who protects your country and everything you love about it.

I think you should keep strong, exercise stay focused, leave informational phamlets around the house so your folks will find and read them. If I am ever blessed with children and they say they want to join the Australian army then I will call recruiters and drive them for their apoointments and hail, shine or WWIII I will be there to see them march out of basic as a soldier.

This is just my opinion so our countries do differ, but I hope it helps out your decision. It will be one of the best things to ever happen in your life.

Comment

[quote=Trewy]parents don't want to outlive their own children, it's not natural and in this day and age they will be terrified you'll be shipped off and they'll never see you again, never see your smile, never hold you, never tell you they love you just one more time. That's why they don't want you to join.

Serving ones country is the best, most respectable thing a person could do. Ask your mum if she'd prefer you as some smacked up, drugged out junkie or if she'd prefer to see her son as an upstanding, well educated, disciplined, loving man who she'd proudly call her all American son.

Ask her if she'd prefer to introduce you to her friends as her unemployed, slacker son, or her strong, handsom, man who protects your country and everything you love about it.

I think you should keep strong, exercise stay focused, leave informational phamlets around the house so your folks will find and read them. If I am ever blessed with children and they say they want to join the Australian army then I will call recruiters and drive them for their apoointments and hail, shine or WWIII I will be there to see them march out of basic as a soldier.

This is just my opinion so our countries do differ, but I hope it helps out your decision. It will be one of the best things to ever happen in your life.[/quote]

Hooah. I'd be the same kind of parent.

We lost my sister early on in life, so that's put a damper on things but I convinced them that the Guard is what I wanted.

They were the kind of parents you speak of now.

Comment

[quote=army4courtney09]hey im only 15 but i really wnat to join the guard ive talked to my recruiter and i have friends in the guard and active army so i have a lot of back up but my family isnt the first to back me up though they say they want me to be happy as i pursue my career! and i really what to got to college and i know i am! the only problem is that i really wnat to find a major in high school so i can get a head start on my classes b/c im already taking college courses in my tenth grade year. but i'm thinking civil affairs officer or administative officer or something like that do have any suggestions? please help!!!!! :confused:[/quote]

You've got A LOT of time to think on your career path.

I only got the Army bug when I turned 17. I had plenty of time to lay out where I wanted to go.

I combined Business Administration and ROTC for college and joined up as an Intel guy.

You may not be the same person with the same interests in three years!

Don't kill yourself early on in high school trying to lay out your exact plan years in advance.

Focus on your grades, knock out those, and by the time you're a junior, start getting an idea.

Between the time I was 15 and 18, I changed my projected major four or five times.

Good luck!

V/R,
            PFC Wade

Comment

even though we live in different countries and serve different armies, the basic ideas are all the same.

Comment

I know how you feel. My parents are doing the samething to me. My mom does not want me to join at all. She said she would not show any suppourt. I've noticed that sometimes our parents do these things to us because their afraid something might happen to us. They get really worried. Dont give up trying. Sooner or later with the help of God they'll realize that this is something you really want to do and they will hopefully change their minds. I still have not convinced my parents. Im not going to give up trying.This is my dream. Just keep on trying and dont give up.

Comment

yeah....

my dad really wants me to join...(im 14 btw)....and my mom doesn't. (seriously--what mom DOES?) My step-dad tells me "do you reall want to look through a scope, see someone on the other side, then watch them fall down dead and know their family will hate you forever?"
                  True, I don't want to kill anyone (who does?) lol maybe I'll be like Desmond T Doss.
                  But yeah, I'm definately joining the army. I want to serve my country and all of the illegal immagrants in her (lol)

Comment

[QUOTE=KaytieGrl]my dad really wants me to join...(im 14 btw)....and my mom doesn't. (seriously--what mom DOES?) My step-dad tells me "do you reall want to look through a scope, see someone on the other side, then watch them fall down dead and know their family will hate you forever?"
                    True, I don't want to kill anyone (who does?) lol maybe I'll be like Desmond T Doss.
                    But yeah, I'm definately joining the army. I want to serve my country and all of the illegal immagrants in her (lol)[/QUOTE] I'm glad that you want to serve this wonderful country. I'm 16 and i want to join to . My mom doesn't want me to join either. That's hard for me because i really want to join. Anyways the best advice i can give you is never give up. If your parents don't agree with you can join at the age of 18. At that age you don't have to get your parents to sign for you. Tha's what i'm going to do. Right know just work hard in school. Never give up.

Comment

[QUOTE=KaytieGrl]My step-dad tells me "do you reall want to look through a scope, see someone on the other side, then watch them fall down dead and know their family will hate you forever?"
                      [/QUOTE]

Such is the process of administrating justice sometimes. And this is the difference between us and them. We don't kill out of hate for the enemy.

Comment

I think SteveLord, has said it best in his sig line. Thats what it is all about, its a great quote and describes alot of the history of our great country. Its been a long but such a short time ago, how did you feel when someone came and attacked us on our homeland? They took what innocent people worked very hard to achieve.

Comment

I don't know if you are still checking this thread or not.....some advice from a 10 year veteran and a veteran of three combat tours. At the end of th eday when you complete graduation from basic and AIT, when it is time, Mom and Dad along with the rest of your family will be the first to tell you how proud of you they are. Most parents are only afraid because it is the unknown factors that they see on the news. In my family I have been deployed three times, my brother once, and my brother-in-law once and geting ready to leave again in 9 months. My father was even involved with the gulf war. Your family will learn to accept your decision over time and will support you. I promise. And you will be a stronger man for it. Good luck with all you do in the future.

Jason R. Palmer
                          SSG, MDARNG
                          Recruiter/ Career Counselor

Comment

My dad was very supportive of me in my decision to join the Minnesota Army National Guard. But, my mom was the resistant one. I merely told her that she cannot hold onto me forever. I am not a kid anymore, I am 17. So I told her to sign because if she didn't, she was merely delaying the inevitable. :cool:

Comment

Explain to your mom that your going to join anyways at age 18. Explain to her that if she is scared for your life than why is she not scared when you drive a car? Could easily get into a car crash or something. Just try and make it clear that you -WANT- this more than anything. Start throwing up National Guard posters or some sort like that. She can't ignore it if you keep asking her.

I had to work on my mom a little by telling her that she was interfering with what I wanted to do. I told her I wanted to be a soldier, a protector of the people, a respectable man. Work at her more, my friend, and you'll get a that signature that you need from her soon enough. ^_^

Comment

[QUOTE=MinnesotaSoldierKyle]Explain to her that if she is scared for your life than why is she not scared when you drive a car? Could easily get into a car crash or something. [/QUOTE]

Parents are NOT terrified about their kids driving either their cars??????????

:p

Comment

Working...
                                X