X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i love the guard but not my family

hey im only 15 but i really wnat to join the guard ive talked to my recruiter and i have friends in the guard and active army so i have a lot of back up but my family isnt the first to back me up though they say they want me to be happy as i pursue my career! and i really what to got to college and i know i am! the only problem is that i really wnat to find a major in high school so i can get a head start on my classes b/c im already taking college courses in my tenth grade year. but i'm thinking civil affairs officer or administative officer or something like that do have any suggestions? please help!!!!! :confused:

that really sucks:rolleyes:

Comment

I know how you feel . I am 16 and i want to join as well. My mom and brother don't agree with me. I always have people telling me it is a bad idea. My advice to you would be don't give up and keep on trying. I know that sooner or later i can convince my family to let me join , because it is something i really want to do , and it is my dream. Anyways don't give up and i wish you the best of luck.

mercedesarmygirl
      Last edited by mercedesarmygirl; July 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM.

Comment

once you turn 18 you can do whatever you want.

Comment

Re

I'm 22 and when i joined i never told my dad till one month before basic. And as far as major goes, study liberal arts for the first year, and decide what you want to be, because you have to take a bunch of lib art courses anyway, so you might as well get them out of the way. And personally business is the way to go, you learn alot and its not to difficult

Comment

Just Remember

Just remember that after you join and go through your basic and ait training, you become that army's B****... you go where you are told and do what you are told. They can send you anywhere in the world for as long as they want (but only if you are under contract with them)

Comment

Business is the way to go! You learn stuff for normal life such as finance and accounting. Plus you learn stuff you can use at any job and any position. It is also fairly easy. Not rocket science or nothing. Even the advanced finance doesnt use to hard of advanced math and algebra. I suck at math and I got staright A's and majored in finance.

Comment

So your question is what major to that will put you in the best position for success? Well, the important question is what do you consider the definition of success? If you are looking at staying in a Reserve capacity, I would not try to tailor my education to fit the nitch of Civil Affairs officer or Admin Officer. Keep in mind, this is a part time gig and life takes a full time income. So, what do you want from your career on the outside? That's the real question.

For instance, I have an undergrad in Business Management with a Concentration in Human Resources. I have an MBA in Telecom Management. I have never spent a professional day in my life in HR. Everyday is Telecom, because I work for a carrier. I will wrap up by saying, at least in Corporate America, it often does not matter what the Degree is in, as long as you have one. Good luck in your choice and keep in mind that your mind will change between now and then.

Comment

business would be too plain and would always seem the same to me. I went into health care for the challenge of complicated situations. My point is that you can't go by what others suggest for the simple fact that you will know in your gut what you want to do with your life. You might decide that a military lifer is what I want to be.

Comment

I agree with the poster who said that once your 18 you can do what you want. However, it will be easier if you can get your family on board with your plans.

I also agree that you want to take your core classes early - some are "liberal arts", but you will also find that some colleges require science electives as well.

Your choice of MOS will also be reflected in your college career. When I went to college after being in the Regular Army, I got 16 hours of credit for my AIT (IIRC).

And lastly, don't buy into the false dichotomy of having to chose either the Army or College. Both are possible even if you go RA for life.

Comment

hey im 19 right now and my parents didnt agree with my decision. i wanted to join the guard since i was a sophomore in high school. i showed my parents how much i wanted to join and how much the guard could benefit my future. a recruiter came to my house to speak to my parents and they yelled at him. i persued my decision and kept my head strait. right before i joined i called my dad and told him to come to my college and sit down with me about my decision. he eventually realized how much i wanted this and gave me his approval. he was really sad about it but knew it was would only benefit my future. follow your heart and if you really want this then show them how much you want this bring home fliers and paperwork have them sit with a recruiter and dont always point out the good things because it will make it easier for them if a few things are brought up that arnt a highlight. hope this helps
                      Stay strong,
                      Pv2.Jalette

Comment

They raised you to be strong and independant right? They'll see the pinacle of all that is you, when your dad feels that stronger handshake and your mother feels that stronger hug at graduation.

Good luck.

Comment

Hooah to that

Comment

I was soo close.....

I just turned 17 about 2 weeks ago. I was really excited because i had a previous talk with my parents and they said they would support me in everything. If i wanted to join the guard, they werent going to stop me. Well, i guess my mom finally realized that i was serious about it and now she is doing everything to try and get me not to join. She said that if i wanted to do it, she doesnt want anything to do with it. So i pretty much have no support from the person i need it from the most. My dad is ok with it, but he also said that he wont take charge in it because its both of their decision. I keep trying to explain for her that the National Guard is perfect for me, not only will it help me pay for college, but i also get to serve my country and at the same time do something i love doing. Now that im 17, i think its better for me to start at this age than until 18. I already talked to my recruiter and he sould like to sit and talk to them about it, my mom doesnt want anythin to do with it though. I really need advice PLEASE!!!!:confused: :mad:

Comment

Only you can decide what is best for you and your family. At the end of the day, your parents can provide valuable input into the decisions that you will make in this life, but YOU are the one that will have to walk that path. I suggest you figure out what you want to do, and then do it....110%.

Comment

Working...
                              X