X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer to Warrant Officer

Is it unusual to become an Officer then "resign" your commissioning and go Warrant?

I would like to become an officer, but at the same time, I want to do the work of my MOS. I would like to get experience as an officer in the particular branch that I want to become a Warrant in, and when I have enough experience....become a Warrant.

I am currently in the ARNG and awaiting to be MOSQ. After that, go to OCS...then get the experience, and then go Warrant.

Does this make sense?

Warrent Officers start out as enlisted personnel, then move into the WO program, not Officer then drop to WO. To me that's not feasible :rolleyes:

Comment

One of our CW2's up at state used to be a Major. I believe the tech slot that he was serving in was going away, so he resigned his commission and took up a position as a Warrant. This way, he would still remain in a tech role and not lose any "status." I believe he didn't want to covert over to AGR, too much time in as a tech.

Anyway, the answer is yes, you can go from an officer to a warrant... it's just not seen that much I guess.

In your position, I'm not understanding why you would intentionally want to plan out a career path that takes you from enlisted, to officer and then to warrant. In most cases, warrants (like the above mentioned) are considered subject matter experts in their particular field, which is why you see a lot of E7s or E8s converting over.

MAJ Ritchie would have a lot more info on this. :)
      Last edited by LT_77; December 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Such a thing is possible. It happens most frequently with aviators, but I've seen it in the technical WO fields as well. Officers make that transition for a variety of reasons, but they usually do it because of some external or unforseen factor. Commissioned pilots sometimes find that that it's hard to make major in Aviation branch, because the slots may be scarce, but every WO pilot can make W4 if they keep up their skills and education. Some OCS grads who didn't finish their degree in time find that they have the credentials to serve as a WO instead.

If your stated goal from the beginning is to become a WO, then I'm not sure what you gain by attending OCS, and then resigning to become a WO later. It looks to me like going around your elbow to get to your thumb.

Please note that it's harder in some ways to become a WO than a commissioned officer. Service as a lieutenant in a branch doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get approved by the WO branch proponent to serve in a particular WO MOS. For best results, serve in the [URL="http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOgeninfo_mos.html"]enlisted feeder MOS [/URL]for that WO MOS.

Comment

One must have experience to become a Warrant....not so much to become an Officer. I want the experience to become a Warrant....just was looking at getting it from being an Officer as opposed to enlisted....

Comment

depends on what type of experience you are talking about

subject matter expert: WO

leading Soldiers: O

Comment

Officer to Warrant

I can also attest to it being possible. I did it. I was an O-3 active duty in the Navy, O-4 Navy reservist, then CW-2 Florida Army National Guard. My story is a bit different and is relevant only for aviation, but if you are considering aviation, I could certainly offer some knowledge and experience.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lo Hill]One must have experience to become a Warrant....not so much to become an Officer. I want the experience to become a Warrant....just was looking at getting it from being an Officer as opposed to enlisted....[/QUOTE]

The best route to become a WO is through the enlisted ranks, not the commissioned officer ranks. While it's obviously possible (I've managed a few of those transitions over the years), the most direct, obvious, and lower-risk path is through the enlisted feeder MOS for that warrant MOS.

Comment

Working...
                X