X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I become an Officer?

Ok I need a little help in mapping out my path to officer in the military.

Ok let me get the particulars out of the way and then I will post my questions and statements.

Sex: Male
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 220 lbs (18 inch neck/42" waist)
    College: 36 credits (3.0 GPA)
    Languages: English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Basic Italian (limited)
    AFQT Score: 84
    US Citizen: Yes

Ok so here it is, first off, I am well aware that I am out of shape and need to cut weight, I know there is some allowance for weight by taping but I still need to shred some weight and lose some inches.

My goal is to become an Officer. Earlier this year I took the asvab and scored an 84 AFQT. I had also recently returned to school to try and complete my associatesí degree, I am close but funding ran out. I have strongly considered entering the military for years as I have always wanted to be an officer like several of my family and friends. I would like to become an Officer and serve, as a career. I am a military brat, pretty much my entire family is military, and I grew up on several military bases.

Obviously I donít have the 4 year degree to warrant a direct commission. I also think that I may be too old for ROTC by completion date; I also canít afford to pay for my own schooling at the moment let alone school and my bills. I never took the ACT or the SAT in high school, I decided instead to take the college entrance exams and I placed in honors courses but that was back in 1998.

I want to be active duty and make this my every day career, and I want more then anything to be an officer in some capacity, whether it is Warrant or Commissioned. So the question is with no 4 year degree, what are my options and how will it map out? If I do go enlisted and cant become an Officer I want to become a Technical Warrant Officer.

I would prefer to be active duty as I have bills and financial obligations, but if it is necessary I will do the weekend warrior bit and find a regular civillian job. So with what I have listed above is their any realistic option that can get me to becoming an officer? Is enlisting really my only good option? Several online friends told me to check out the possibilities in the reserves or guard.

1. ROTC. That is the option I always recommend first. It looks like you'll be too old for an ROTC scholarship, but you can still draw other funding sources to pay for school.
    2. OCS. You can enlist with an OCS contract. Use this option if ROTC can't work for some reason.
    3. Warrant. It will take you longer to become a warrant than a commissioned officer, but it may be worth it in the long-run. Pursue this path if that fits your temperament and goals.

You have a number of realistic options. The nature of this message board isn't conducive to the back-and-forth necessary to hash out all this. Send me an email or private message with your phone number and a time to call, and we'll have a conversation. Weekday evenings are my best time, but I can talk other times as well.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]1. ROTC. That is the option I always recommend first. It looks like you'll be too old for an ROTC scholarship, but you can still draw other funding sources to pay for school.
      2. OCS. You can enlist with an OCS contract. Use this option if ROTC can't work for some reason.
      3. Warrant. It will take you longer to become a warrant than a commissioned officer, but it may be worth it in the long-run. Pursue this path if that fits your temperament and goals.

You have a number of realistic options. The nature of this message board isn't conducive to the back-and-forth necessary to hash out all this. Send me an email or private message with your phone number and a time to call, and we'll have a conversation. Weekday evenings are my best time, but I can talk other times as well.[/QUOTE]

I thought you needed a 4 year degree to do option #2, if not can you please elaborate or link me to where i can go to get the info. Thanks.

Comment

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armytrng/a/ocs.htm[/url]

That has some good info. I read somewhere that in the Army and Guard that you do not need a 4 year degree but you do have to have a certain amount of college hours. I cant find that now. It also may be just for enlisted peoples.

Comment

You do need a 4 year degree. You have to have at least 60 credit hours under your belt to apply for OCS, and you must have 90 finished in order to commission. If I were you, I would enlist and use the tuition benefits to pay for the rest of your college, and once you get done with school, apply for OCS.

If ROTC is out of the question for you, this may be your best option. The tuition assitance alone is really nice, not to mention benefits like the GI bill and the Student Loan Repayment Program, you might also consider looking into the college first option.

Comment

[QUOTE=shutterm4]You do need a 4 year degree. You have to have at least 60 credit hours under your belt to apply for OCS, and you must have 90 finished in order to commission. If I were you, I would enlist and use the tuition benefits to pay for the rest of your college, and once you get done with school, apply for OCS.

If ROTC is out of the question for you, this may be your best option. The tuition assitance alone is really nice, not to mention benefits like the GI bill and the Student Loan Repayment Program, you might also consider looking into the college first option.[/QUOTE]

i did check out the college first option, but what happens if i dont get my degree completed in the 2 years that are required for the college first program? i am not 2 years from my bachelors, although it would put me at he appropriate amount of credits to be eligible to do the green to gold. is that available for ARNG?

Comment

I dont think that Green to Gold is an option in the guard, but once you apply for OCS and are accepted you are non-deployable until you finish it. Plus, with college first its not like you get deployed after the 2 years, it just makes you eligible, so if your unit was to get called up you would have to go, but if they dont they you would have nothing to worry about. There is some risk involved in enlisting first, but you would get enough credits to do OCS before your college first was over.

Comment

IN NG- all you need is at least 90 college credits. And yes, you do need to lose weight bec. theres a height/weight requirement.

Comment

[QUOTE=labellavita]And yes, you do need to lose weight bec. theres a height/weight requirement.[/QUOTE]

I believe the original poster established that he was aware of this fact - no need to bring it up again.

Comment

[QUOTE=shutterm4]You do need a 4 year degree. You have to have at least 60 credit hours under your belt to apply for OCS, and you must have 90 finished in order to commission. If I were you, I would enlist and use the tuition benefits to pay for the rest of your college, and once you get done with school, apply for OCS.

If ROTC is out of the question for you, this may be your best option. The tuition assitance alone is really nice, not to mention benefits like the GI bill and the Student Loan Repayment Program, you might also consider looking into the college first option.[/QUOTE]

Correct. You'll need a four year degree in order to get promoted to captain. Therefore, you really want to complete your degree within 2-4 years of commissioning.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cheapsin]Ok so here it is, first off, I am well aware that I am out of shape and need to cut weight, I know there is some allowance for weight by taping but I still need to shred some weight and lose some inches.
                      .[/QUOTE]

I would highly reccommend making some changes but there still is a chance if you don't make your tape or weight at MEPS. It's called the Arms test. I had to take it.

As for ROTC you only need to finish your 4 year degree by 31 if your a scholarship cadet. I'm 27 years old and I'm applying for a scholarship but I allready have a two year degree. Anyways feel free to message me on boards if you have any questions about the process.

Comment

Thank you everyone for their reponses. Just clarify several things.

The weight thing, again to re-iterate i am aware of it i have the BFI Army calculator and the regulations on height weight and so on. The tape test i can definitely pass, i taped in January with less than 3 weeks notice and was a couple percentages under. I have a work out routine for that.

My major concern in the weight dept is not taping its getting APFT ready so my scores are good enough to be a solid candidate.

I have heard several times people mention that you only need your 4 year degree to go captain which is cool but im sure that doesnt really make me a very appealing candidate right? I mean if im competeing against a guy/gal who has all the reqs then i look like a pretty crappy alternate.

So hypothetical, Enlist on the College First program, go to basic and AIT, get my credits up to 90 or above, post for OCS and hope that my package is strong enough to get in.

Now how unhappy are my superiors going to be that i am using one program to skip out to another? Also will i be required to stay part time if i get accepted to OCS or can i go active?

Is this even a feasible route? or when i go talk to a Recruiter will they just look at me like im crazy or tell me No way?

Comment

You actually only have to have 60 to get into OCS. you have to have 90 to be commissioned. And your superiors should want you to go to OCS. so i wouldnt worry about it if i was you.

Comment

So after reading several threads i see a situation like this is pretty common, and then i saw alot of talk about bonuses, i hadnt really given it much thought. I know i read somewhere maybe military.com that There is a 20k bonus for enlisting in a critical job MOS prior to the beginning of the new fiscal year. Is that Army only or does it also aply to ARNG?

When i was enlisting for Active Duty Army i had worked up a contract for 98x linguist, it had a very long schooling plus alot of hoops to jump through due to high security clearance. I really would like to be in the intelligence field, but if i am taking this path of college first, then OCS is it really going to matter? Will being in a Linguist Intel job make it easier to slot to a Intel Commission or are the changes equal to wind up Combat arms regardless?

Also Do i just go to what ever Armory i see and speak to a recruiter? Are they only recruiting for their armory or will they give me options of which armory i can serve at and what openings are needed?

Well im due back to hear from my last interview this week and if i didnt get the job, i will head to the recruiters and start getting the ball rolling.

Comment

They will recruit you into a unit that needs whatever job you are going for. The 20k IS national guard. Active is 40K. But it has to be a critical MOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X