X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD214 question

I was in the National Guard from 1990-1994. I recently requested a copy of my DD214 online and received it yesterday. It says I was honorably discharged but under the remarks section it said "Unsatisfactory Performance" and additionally, that I "did not give personal notice and that certified mail was sent to my house which I did not acknowledge or send back or something to that effect". I am totally unaware of the "unsat performance" and the "certified mail" issue and am completely outraged. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the measures I can take to look into this situation and determine the validity of these remarks? I am dating a retired NG Master Sergeant (20 years) whom I met in the guard and he wonders if someone might have had a vendetta against me. Thanks much.

A DD214 is only generated to reflect periods of active duty, not traditional (drilling) Guard service. Were you AGR with the Guard, or mobilized during that time period? If not, then look at the dates that the DD214 covers. I would imagine that it would only cover your Basic and AIT periods.

Comment

Dd-214

Hello,

What does Uncharacterized (Character of Service) mean on a DD-214, and how can it affect re-enlistment into the military and security clearances? I joined the Army Reserves in 1991 and served for almost 2 years with no problems. I then had some family issues and missed a few of the scheduled drills and was discharged. I have a certificate from the Department of the Army Reserves Personnel Center that says honorable discharge.
      I just do not know what that Character of Service means. Separation code was LBK, Reentry Code- NA, Narrative Reason- Expiration term of Service, but the DD-214 does not even show my correct rank at the time of discharge. I am considering going back in, but if it would stop the Security Clearance then I could not get back into the job that I want. Thanks for your time!

Comment

Dd-214

Hello,

What does Uncharacterized (Character of Service) mean on a DD-214, and how can it affect re-enlistment into the military and security clearances? I joined the Army Reserves in 1991 and served for almost 2 years with no problems. I then had some family issues and missed a few of the scheduled drills and was discharged. I have a certificate from the Department of the Army Reserves Personnel Center that says honorable discharge.
        I just do not know what that Character of Service means. Separation code was LBK, Reentry Code- NA, Narrative Reason- Expiration term of Service, but the DD-214 does not even show my correct rank at the time of discharge. I am considering going back in, but if it would stop the Security Clearance then I could not get back into the job that I want. Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=bama8691]Hello,

I just do not know what that Character of Service means. Separation code was LBK, Reentry Code- NA, Narrative Reason- Expiration term of Service, but the DD-214 does not even show my correct rank at the time of discharge. I am considering going back in, but if it would stop the Security Clearance then I could not get back into the job that I want. Thanks[/QUOTE]

UNCHARACTERIZED usually means that you left prior to completion of your full term of service, but not for criminal reasons. I don't think this will have any impact on your Security Clearance, based on what you've told me.

If your DD214 is wrong, [I]and you have documentation that proves that it's wrong[/I], check out [url]http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/[/url].

Comment

Can I still have it changed after so long a period? Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=bama8691]Can I still have it changed after so long a period? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes.

To reiterate, however, you're not asking the Board for a favor -- you're demonstrating that someone made a mistake with your records, and you have proof which corrects that record. If you have no proof, then don't bother.

Comment

Understood, Thanks.

Comment

Re: DD214 question

On my DD 214 it states Uncharacterized Ar 635-200 Chapter 4 separation code MBK Reentry code NA..........Can some one please explain to me exactly what this means? I was A E-2 when this happen, and I was in the KSARNG, but on active duty at the time of separation.

Comment

Jons Niners,

It will be best to post an introduction first then just to pose a question in a thread that was last posted in 2007. Also, provided some background on why you were discharged from IET.

Also, the OP in the thread (one poster) if you are still reading this :), would you have received an NGB 22 instead than a DD214? Hope life is going well with you and your retired NG MSG.

Comment

See I was asking....I was a e-2....I was just wondering if an employer can tell exactly why i was discharged for by that, but if some one that is the military can not then a employer must not be able too. I was discharged with a general under honorable discharge from the ksng while on active duty. I received a dd214, i have no idea what a NGB 22 is. What is IET? And I really don't understand this website and how to start a thread, i don'y know i googled this question and this website came up so i came here and registered and posted my question....this website is very confusing. I was in a unit that was ate up and showed favoritism to certain soldiers, as well with a commander that couldn't even carry a rifle, he also lied to his family saying he was serving in iraq while he was serving at Ft Brag as a rear detachment, there were a bunch of soldiers in my unit that wanted to earn a purple heart...I did not want to serve with these people or have to rely on some idiotic soldiers that wanted to be wounded or carry a rifle in the army....so i did soething stupid so they would discharge e, they would not allow me to transfer to a different unit so i said screw it and found my way out. The things I have read do not answer my questions either, I do not know where you got that from.
                      Last edited by Jons Niners; May 29th, 2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jons Niners;158914]See I was asking....I was a e-2....I was just wondering if an employer can tell exactly why i was discharged for by that, but if some one that is the military can not then a employer must not be able too. I was discharged with a general under honorable discharge from the ksng while on active duty. I received a dd214, i have no idea what a NGB 22 is. What is IET? And I really don't understand this website and how to start a thread, i don'y know i googled this question and this website came up so i came here and registered and posted my question....this website is very confusing. I was in a unit that was ate up and showed favoritism to certain soldiers, as well with a commander that couldn't even carry a rifle, he also lied to his family saying he was serving in iraq while he was serving at Ft Brag as a rear detachment, there were a bunch of soldiers in my unit that wanted to earn a purple heart...I did not want to serve with these people or have to rely on some idiotic soldiers that wanted to be wounded or carry a rifle in the army....so i did soething stupid so they would discharge e, they would not allow me to transfer to a different unit so i said screw it and found my way out. The things I have read do not answer my questions either, I do not know where you got that from.[/QUOTE]

OK, I think I understand somewhat of your query. First OP means original poster so my comment about the NGB 22 was directed to the person (who has long disappeared) who created this thread. Also, an NGB 22 is the DD214 discharge equivalent when you are discharged from the National Guard. From you response, I gather you were discharged from basic training while as an enlisted in the KS Army National Guard. IET stands for Initial Entry Training which identifies the basic and advanced individual training portion of your service.

Your military records fall under the FOIA and will need some good amount of information to get your military records. Depending on your civilian career (e.g. law enforcement) documents of your military service is not required.

Comment

[QUOTE=fmcityslicker;158916]OK, I think I understand somewhat of your query. First OP means original poster so my comment about the NGB 22 was directed to the person (who has long disappeared) who created this thread. Also, an NGB 22 is the DD214 discharge equivalent when you are discharged from the National Guard. From you response, I gather you were discharged from basic training while as an enlisted in the KS Army National Guard. IET stands for Initial Entry Training which identifies the basic and advanced individual training portion of your service.

Your military records fall under the FOIA and will need some good amount of information to get your military records. Depending on your civilian career (e.g. law enforcement) documents of your military service is not required.[/QUOTE]

I was discharged after basic and after AIT, I was serving on active duty when i was discharged, I was actually on deployment but only at the training for operation iraqi freedom 3, before i was even able to put boots on ground I was discharges, I was discharged about after a year after I entered the service. My question actually is can a employer such as a trucking company, find out exactly what i was discharged for from the dd 214....I was discharged with an AR 635-200 chapter 4....can they tell exactly what that is? When I look it up, it comes up as miss conduct which is true, but at the same time that covers so many different things from want I have found during the research that i have done. So can they actually pin point exactly what i was discharged for just by seeing the AR 635-200 chapter 4 is my question? Does the FOIA state the reason for my discharge, or should I say the exact reason why I was Discharged?
                          Last edited by Jons Niners; May 29th, 2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

An employer as you mentioned should not be conducting a background check to find out if you had article 15s which related to the nature of your discharge. So I will bet no.

So after AIT, you returned to your unit in the KSARNG, got mobilized and activated under title 10 orders, got into trouble, received an article 15 or court martial than separated under MBK (which I found that means Expiration of Term of Service) with no re-entry code. That is totally strange.

Anyway, we have a paralegal called ParalegalNCO and he would be the better one to answer your question.

Comment

How can I contact him.... my reentry code was NA (which i read above means narrative reason, what ever that means) I am just trying to better my self and make a better life for my self and need to know what they can exactly find out about me and my discharge. You are correct I returned to my unit in the ksarng, was mobilized about a month after reporting to my unit to active duty to FT Rileygot into a little trouble, I don't think it was an article 15 and it was not a court marshal at all, my squad leader tried to give me article 15's because i fell asleep on guard duty, but i was on bed rest from having a wisdom tooth extracted and he asked me to do it voluntarily so i did it, fell asleep and was awakened by a colonel, they tried to give me a article 15 until i wrote on the paper work that i was suppose to be on bed rest and was on Vicodin, so they could not follow through with the article 15, I failed one ua and was discharged for it, tried to fight to stay in but they would not let me even after top told us if we failed we would be going to iraq any ways. But I did not try to fight it that much as I did not want to put y lives at risk in a ate up unit. Thank you for your time and all your help, it is very much appreciated.
                              Last edited by Jons Niners; May 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X