X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGR recruiter

Ive been told that Im pretty much guaranteed a recruiting job, especially if Im willing to relocate to any place in my state. Im single. Can I get some feedback from recruiters. Good and bad experiences. Thanks.

Well its a great job. Like any other it has its ups and downs, But you can call my cell if your interested in talking more.

Comment

I loved being a recruiter, and I miss it. It's not for everyone, but you can have a very fulfilling and rewarding time. I was an officer recruiter, so my experiences are somewhat different than an enlisted recruiter's, but we have a number of commonalities. Since recruiting is based on production (i.e., how many enlistments you have per month), it's in one sense rather simple to judge success and failure. You work to a production goal, not to a timeclock. Thus, if you put in the number you're supposed to put in, no one's really breathing down your neck to see if you're in the office at 0800. I would come in late, leave early, take long lunches -- because I was on top of my game, and was ahead of my mission pretty much all the time. That also meant that sometimes I put in 12 hour days, worked weekends, took work home, etc.

My recommendation to you is to build your network in your area. Our top recruiter for the past two years basically did very little recruiting. He had built a network of people in his area who effectively did all his recruiting for him, passed him the names, and then he did the processing. He was buddies with every high school teacher, scoutmaster, youth pastor, teen hangout restaurant manager, etc., and those people all kept on the lookout for new recruits. Then, when he got a new recruit, he treated the person very professionally, and took excellent care of him/her. That recruit had a good experience, and brought friends to him to enlist. That's the way to do it!

You'll need to work pretty hard to establish your network at first, particularly if you need to relocate to an unfamiliar area. Nevertheless, if you have a coherent plan, and work that plan, you are almost mathematically assured of meeting your mission.

Remember, there are no secrets to recruiting. We already know what works -- just do it, and do it constantly. You'll get good training at the schoolhouse, and your NCOIC will work with you.

Best wishes!

Comment

Thanks for the info. How long is the tour for recuiting duty?

Comment

[QUOTE=SC11C]Thanks for the info. How long is the tour for recuiting duty?[/QUOTE]

If you're already AGR, it's a standard 36 month tour, renewable. If you're not AGR, then traditionally your state will put you on temporary orders for up to a year. This allows both sides to try before you buy. If recruiting isn't for you, you can get out of temporary orders much, much easier than career tour orders. You'll attend the training, and have some supervised apprentice time, and then go out on your own. Once you come on board as AGR formally, you'll have a 36 month tour, renewable. You don't need to stay in recruiting forever, you can apply for other assignments. Of course, if you've been a miserable failure as a recruiter, you're not likely to get any other offers.

Comment

3 years for the initial tour

Comment

How does one become an Officer recruiter?

I'm considering doing AGR recruiting but will be attending State OCS in March of next year. If I get my commission the following year can I still be an AGR recruiter, enlisted or officer?

Comment

[QUOTE=AaronLucia]How does one become an Officer recruiter?

I'm considering doing AGR recruiting but will be attending State OCS in March of next year. If I get my commission the following year can I still be an AGR recruiter, enlisted or officer?[/QUOTE]

Each state has an Officer Strength Manager (OSM), and larger states have more than one. You may wish to speak with your state's OSM about serving on ADSW after your return from BOLC. It is highly unlikely that you'll get an AGR tour as a brand new 2LT.

Comment

Thanks for the info sir. Do you think it is possible to do AGR enlisted recruiting and State OCS at the same time? I just enlisted for the OCS option, but i'm interested in maybe doing a tour (1 year or 3) of recruiting.

My recruiter said something about canceling the contract I have now and just doing the recruiting, but I still want to go to OCS. He said it's possible to do both but didn't seem to enthusiastic about it.

And lastly, what kind of benefits will I get as an AGR recruiter? My recruiter was saying I would get BAH (is that BAH1 or 2?), regular active duty pay, and some other pays, but I want to see how much total I might be receiving.

Thanks in advance!

SPC Lucia

Comment

How long is recruiting school ?

Comment

My recruiter said five weeks.

Comment

[QUOTE=AaronLucia]Thanks for the info sir. Do you think it is possible to do AGR enlisted recruiting and State OCS at the same time? I just enlisted for the OCS option, but i'm interested in maybe doing a tour (1 year or 3) of recruiting.

My recruiter said something about canceling the contract I have now and just doing the recruiting, but I still want to go to OCS. He said it's possible to do both but didn't seem to enthusiastic about it.

And lastly, what kind of benefits will I get as an AGR recruiter? My recruiter was saying I would get BAH (is that BAH1 or 2?), regular active duty pay, and some other pays, but I want to see how much total I might be receiving.

Thanks in advance!

SPC Lucia[/QUOTE]

It is not illegal to do both, but all Soldiers need their commander's permission to attend OCS. Be advised that:[LIST=1][*]You won't be advanced to pay grade E6 if you're on AGR status.[*]Once you accept your commission, you lose your AGR job.[/LIST]Thus, your plan has pitfalls, but I happen to know of a recruiter in Richmond who's doing exactly what you've described. He plans to leave the AGR force anyway, and go back to drilling status as a lieutenant. AGR lieutenants are extraordinarly rare, so I don't want to give you unrealistic ideas for the future.

Comment

Thanks for the info sir.

Comment

Working...
                          X