X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Commission/Age Waiver

I am 44 years old and hold BA and MBA degrees. I work as a public sector manager. In 2004, I contacted an Army Cyber Recruiter (after hearing media reports about troop shortages) and inquired as to whether or not I could be of assistance. I was encouraged to apply for a direct commission with AMEDD (Army Reserve) as a Health Services Administrator. I completed all of the paperwork and passed a physical exam at MEPS in October of 2004. My packet was submitted to the commissioning board but, the age waiver was denied.

I am again hearing reports of troop shortages with the National Guard in Louisiana which is where I live. Considering that I hold an MBA and have a lot of management experience, are there any National Guard slots that can be filled through direct commission and have an age waiver process?

H.R. 1815 Section 543 Age change from 39 to 42

I am in a similar positon. I'm 40 and live in Orange County, Ca and have my B.S. Degree from U.S.C. in Business Administration. Each branch of the military can set its own age standard even though Congress has amended our current laws. I don't want to seem like a complainer, but it's like the current situation we are now facing with our boarders and immigration-meaning, no one wants to act on the discrepancies and make them make sense. I need to stay out of politics. Sorry if I've offended anyone. I am just trying to serve my country.

H.R.1815 SEC. 543. INCREASE MAXIMUM AGE FOR ENLISTMENT.
    Section 505(a) of title 10, United States Code, is amended by striking `thirty-five years of age' and inserting `forty-two years of age'.

Comment

[QUOTE=LA MBA]I am 44 years old and hold BA and MBA degrees. I work as a public sector manager. In 2004, I contacted an Army Cyber Recruiter (after hearing media reports about troop shortages) and inquired as to whether or not I could be of assistance. I was encouraged to apply for a direct commission with AMEDD (Army Reserve) as a Health Services Administrator. I completed all of the paperwork and passed a physical exam at MEPS in October of 2004. My packet was submitted to the commissioning board but, the age waiver was denied.

I am again hearing reports of troop shortages with the National Guard in Louisiana which is where I live. Considering that I hold an MBA and have a lot of management experience, are there any National Guard slots that can be filled through direct commission and have an age waiver process?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you are too old for appointment as an officer in the Army National Guard. If you have prior service, you may be eligible for enlistment or appointment as a warrant officer.

Comment

hey guys,

i know your pain. i've posted here a number of times about the age issue (i'm 42 y/o). the army just doesn't want us old guys with multiple degrees, leadership/management experience, clean records and good health. i've written everybody on the face of the earth that i thought would help and i have come up empty. seems like we have to continue to doing our civ jobs and let the army do theirs. it is really funny, but i know a couple of grandmothers who have been sent over to iraq already. good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=rud1]hey guys,

i know your pain. i've posted here a number of times about the age issue (i'm 42 y/o). the army just doesn't want us old guys with multiple degrees, leadership/management experience, clean records and good health. i've written everybody on the face of the earth that i thought would help and i have come up empty. seems like we have to continue to doing our civ jobs and let the army do theirs. it is really funny, but i know a couple of grandmothers who have been sent over to iraq already. good luck.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what the Army wants, this age limit is based on [U]federal law[/U]. Only your elected representatives have any chance of changing this.

Even though you cannot serve in a formal capacity, you still have an important role to play in national service. You can encourage others in different stages of life to contact a Recruiter to learn more about the Army National Guard.

Comment

35 and Waiver?

I have looked at the brochures provided by an ANG Recruiter in Virginia stating that the maximum age for the State OCS is thirty years (30) old. It says that a waiver is required for over thirty years (30) old. Is this still the case or has the Guard raised the age and to what? If it is the case in having to be thirty years (30) old, at what point is the application for the age waiver completed, before or after you enlist?

Also, the brochure did not give much indication of those “administrative” things that would take place between Oct and March prior to the start of a State OCS. Is there any way to getting a list of these things or seeing an example of a completed OCS packet?

Thank you

Comment

[QUOTE=jpharris]I have looked at the brochures provided by an ANG Recruiter in Virginia stating that the maximum age for the State OCS is thirty years (30) old. It says that a waiver is required for over thirty years (30) old. Is this still the case or has the Guard raised the age and to what? If it is the case in having to be thirty years (30) old, at what point is the application for the age waiver completed, before or after you enlist?

Also, the brochure did not give much indication of those “administrative” things that would take place between Oct and March prior to the start of a State OCS. Is there any way to getting a list of these things or seeing an example of a completed OCS packet?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

By reg, the age limit is 30. NGB can waiver up to age 39 at time of commissioning. Effectively that is a rubber stamp now. I personally have never seen an age waiver denied.

Comment

Even though you cannot serve in a formal capacity, you still have an important role to play in national service. You can encourage others in different stages of life to contact a Recruiter to learn more about the Army National Guard.

Matthew Ritchie

Will be serving in the New York Guard (State Militia) and pushing for all to join the Guard, if qualified.

Rudy

Comment

seeking Direct Commission

I am 39, prior service and currently working as a government contractor. I am completely cleared and have an extensive resume' of senior positions with the intelligence community. I have been pursuaded to contact you with the intentions of seeking a direct commision in the US Army MI corp. I have been assured the support of two general officers should this option be viable. I am ready to commit to any and all actions to make this happed ASAP. If I am in eligable I am equally open to the warrant officer program as a 350D.

Comment

Check out AR 135-100 (APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSIONED AND WARRANT OFFICERS OF THE ARMY):
                    [url]http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r135_100.pdf[/url]

This describes the application process for direct commissions in detail, including non-prior service applications.

(This is specifically or the Reserve Components, as series 135 of the Army regulations is for the Army National Guard and Reserve).

I know of someone who recently got a direct commission to the Army Reserves at age 41 with no prior service. He mentioned that the main drawback is that you have to do all the legwork on the application rather than the recruiter. Also, you really need to find a unit to support you to make the application feasible. For example, you will appear before a board and you will likely require an age waiver. Also, as mentioned in AR 135-100, the unit needs to ascertain that there is no one else who could fill the slot (hence the need for a direct commission). However, I am sure this will not be hard to find for an MI speciality.

Nonetheless, I would recommend the warrant officer route, especially if you are more intested in the technical aspects of military intelligence. You would have to attend Basic and then WOCS (about two months for the Guard), but you would likely be able to test out of WOBC with your MI experience. (This would otherwise require a few more months.) See
                    [URL="http://www.1800goguard.com/warrantofficer/woguide.pdf"]http://www.1800goguard.com/warrantofficer/woguide.pdf[/URL]

Best,
                    Tom

Comment

i dont understand why armed forces are so picky about who they will let in and military is smaller than it has been in 20 years and were at war right now im 22 years old and in very good shape and im in school and nobody will take me because i have police record from when i was 18 what the hell i made a mistake and i been out of trouble for four years i did something wrong but i paid for my mistake theres no other reason that they wont let me in you would think you would want people like me to fight your wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Comment

eligibility

tom to your knowledge have you heard regarding a possible age change of 42 to 44 within the national guard and if so what is the effective date.

Comment

eligibility

Can anyone help me with this question. To anyone knowledge has there been any recent change concerning the age increase from 42 to 44 for the National Gurad? Please help me with this info.

Comment

[QUOTE=mrfrench316]Can anyone help me with this question. To anyone knowledge has there been any recent change concerning the age increase from 42 to 44 for the National Gurad? Please help me with this info.[/QUOTE]

No recent change to 44 & no change anticipated. Unlesss of course, Congress decides to raise the age limit again. Which I seriously doubt will happen since, I believe, all the services have met or have mostly met their recruiting goals.

Comment

wavier

is it possible to get a two yr wavier from the guard, I am 44yrs old. I have been trying for about the last 8-9 yrs to join the guard or reserves. the recruiters here where I live in WV could not seem to help me every time I went to them. I even ask can I be notify if there was any age changes and they never did. I am a Senior Member of Civil Air Patrol. Cpt.J L Childress

Comment

Working...
                              X