X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breathing

i got a question about running if someone can help me...i usually get short of breathe when i run...anyone know a way for this of not happening or some excerises i can do to have this not happen...its one of the main reasons why im not running the mile in the time im suppose to

[QUOTE=dredi18]i got a question about running if someone can help me...i usually get short of breathe when i run...anyone know a way for this of not happening or some excerises i can do to have this not happen...its one of the main reasons why im not running the mile in the time im suppose to[/QUOTE]

its just because your not in shape u just need to do more running

Comment

im the same way i have troulble breathing to when i run after a mile and1/2 but it mostly because im a smoker which im quiting though

Comment

I also have trouble breathing properly when I run. I am a 'mouth-breather' which does not help. I do not smoke. 3 days ago I ran 2 miles in 18:16. I'm 38, so that's a 60 on the PT test. The next evening, after giving blood in the AM, I could barely breathe after 13 minutes in. I also had a ligiment issue, so I limped the rest of the way. I took a day off, iced, Advil, and after 1 day rest, ran/walked 2 miles in a little over 20 minutes. I had just eaten, and had done yardwork for a few hours, so I'm not too disappointed.

The trouble breathing still makes me frustrated.

Comment

I also just returned from a 2 mile run that I had to walk most of, because I am SORELY out of shape. 30 years old in 2 weeks, haven't seriously exercised since high school basketball. Oh and I am also a severe mouth breather, having had bad sinuses since I can remember. I agree with the fact that we all just need to RUN MORE. When we're done, RUN AGAIN. I think that's the only way it's going to happen.

Keep it up, don't give up, and push yourself as hard as you can. Just think - the harder you push yourself, the less hard it will be when you hit BCT or whichever training you're about to enter.

(hoping this encourages me too....haven't set a ship date yet) :)

Comment

You could have Asthma or reactive airway.

Go see a Doc and get a Pulmonary function test.

Comment

[QUOTE=Doc]You could have Asthma or reactive airway.

Go see a Doc and get a Pulmonary function test.[/QUOTE]
              Learn to belly breathe and when you run exhale on your left foot because your diaphragm resides more to the right and gets compressed quicker than if you breathe on your left. At the 1/4 mile, breathing should become regulated and match to the pace you are setting. I know old thread but this is a common problem.

Comment

In high school, my football coach always told me to never keep your hands close, to either leave them open or open and close them with each step you take. Also to always breathe thru your nose, hold it in as long as you can and let it out from your mouth. I thought he was crazy, so I tried this. I actually ran a mile in 4 mins 52 seconds. That's been about 9 years ago though. LOL Not sure what time I'd get now. LoL. I'm starting to work out frequently now after 5 years of not excersing regularly.

Comment

I have the Same Problem I have worked in the coal mines for the past 4 years so i prob have black lung could i fail meps for black lung..

Comment

[QUOTE=Adam.Slone]I have the Same Problem I have worked in the coal mines for the past 4 years so i prob have black lung could i fail meps for black lung..[/QUOTE]

Ask yourself this. Is it a condition that could affect me in the future, and is it something that could have a negative affect on the people i am serving with. If the Answer is yes, consider not joining. Now i realize that is unpopular, and i support the fact that you want to serve, but if you condition is something that could endanger others, i would rather see your support from the outside.

The only way to find out is to go to meps. Its not like they are going to look in your lungs, but if they notice something wrong with them then it has potential to DQ you.

Comment

Working...
                    X